1 South Shore Habitat for Humanity Neighbors Helping Neighbors.
out of 16
Post on 26-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- 1 South Shore Habitat for Humanity Neighbors Helping Neighbors
- Slide 2
- 2 Mission Statement: South Shore Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical, nonprofit organization dedicated to building simple, decent homes in partnership with families in need.
- Slide 3
- 3 Founded in 1976 by Millard & Linda Fuller Endorsed by Former President Jimmy Carter Completed more than 300,000 homes, housing over 1.5 million people worldwide Over 2,250 active affiliates in over 90 countries
- Slide 4
- 4 Across the globe there is a Habitat home built about every 24 minutes.
- Slide 5
- 5 South Shore Habitat Facts Founded in 1986 46 Homes Completed 82 adults & 161 children in homes Over 80 cents per dollar raised goes directly to construction costs 10% of revenue annually goes to El Salvadors Habitat to build many homes every year
- Slide 6
- 6 A South Shore Habitat House Estimated cost: $140,000-$180,000 Estimated cost: $140,000-$180,000 1,300 square feet 1,300 square feet Cape, ranch, colonial or split-level designs Cape, ranch, colonial or split-level designs 3 bedrooms, 1 baths 3 bedrooms, 1 baths Energy Star Rated Energy Star Rated Built to code Built to code Appliances supplied Appliances supplied Construction takes 6-12 months Construction takes 6-12 months
- Slide 7
- 7 Homebuilding Specifics Donated land Donated land Simple house design Simple house design Raise funds for the total cost of home ($130,000 $150,000) Raise funds for the total cost of home ($130,000 $150,000) Volunteers build on Saturdays, Sundays or specially-coordinated weekdays Volunteers build on Saturdays, Sundays or specially-coordinated weekdays Each Habitat home takes 500 to 800+ volunteers to complete Each Habitat home takes 500 to 800+ volunteers to complete
- Slide 8
- 8 Family Selection Criteria Significant need for adequate shelter Significant need for adequate shelter Ability to pay for the home (usually 25-50% Median Average Income) Ability to pay for the home (usually 25-50% Median Average Income) Willingness to partner with Habitat Willingness to partner with Habitat Work 500 sweat equity hours Work 500 sweat equity hours Attend monthly educational workshops for new homeowners Attend monthly educational workshops for new homeowners Participate in awareness events Participate in awareness events
- Slide 9
- 9 Ownership Terms Homes are sold to the selected family at cost Homes are sold to the selected family at cost Family pays a 20-year, zero-interest mortgage Family pays a 20-year, zero-interest mortgage Recycle all monthly mortgage payments through the Fund for Humanity, which finances the building of future homes Recycle all monthly mortgage payments through the Fund for Humanity, which finances the building of future homes Payments must be received on time Payments must be received on time Property taxes and insurance paid by family Property taxes and insurance paid by family Deed restriction on resale always affordable Deed restriction on resale always affordable
- Slide 10
- 10 Building Homes, Building Lives Homeowners have said that Habitat helped them to: Increase both parents and childrens confidence Increase both parents and childrens confidence Improve childrens health (better air quality, yards to play in) Improve childrens health (better air quality, yards to play in) Boost performance in school Boost performance in school Break the cycle of poverty Break the cycle of poverty Feel more capable and proud of themselves Feel more capable and proud of themselves Know they have a safe, reliable home that is not controlled by a landlord Know they have a safe, reliable home that is not controlled by a landlord Make friends and meet new people Make friends and meet new people
- Slide 11
- 11 Build Join a volunteer committee Donate Share information Care How can you help? How can you help?
- Slide 12
- 12 Volunteer Opportunities Join a Committee Site Selection Site Selection Development (fundraising) Development (fundraising) Faith Relations Faith Relations Family Partnership Family Partnership Construction Construction Outreach Outreach
- Slide 13
- 13 Join a Local Partnership Committee A community-based group of local volunteers organized around the purpose of raising funds, planning events and projects, coordinating volunteers, and constructing a Habitat house.
- Slide 14
- 14 Corporate Partnership Opportunities Sponsor a home Underwrite special events Donate in-kind materials and/or services Matching Gifts Participate in Corporate Team-Building Days
- Slide 15
- 15 Habitat Needs Land to Build More Homes! Town-owned land Town-owned land Individual donors Individual donors Developers Developers Bank or business- owned land Bank or business- owned land Run-down houses for rehab Run-down houses for rehab Land in back-taxes Land in back-taxes
- Slide 16
- 16 Get Involved! Be a part of Habitat for Humanitys work in your local community. There are many ways to give of your time and talents, and volunteers are always needed. Contact: South Shore Habitat for Humanity South Shore Habitat for Humanity www.sshabitat.org Habitat@sshabitat.org 781-843-9080
View more >
South Shore Habitat for Humanity, Inc. SHORE HABITAT FOR HUMANITY, INC. FINANCIAL STATEMENTS Years Ended June 30, 2015 and 2014 TABLE OF CONTENTS
Neighbors HELPing Neighbors Community CB.pdfNeighbors HELPing Neighbors ... 646-5122/FAX 646-1748/ Community Bulletin A Word rom Terri Wolfe, ... This piano-vocal-trombone trio
Aid to Distressed Families of Appalachian Counties Meagan Ricks Neighbors helping neighbors since 1987
Neighbors Helping Neighbors: An Examination of the Social Capital Mobilization Process for Community Resilience to Environmental Disasters
Bannockburn Neighbors Assisting Neighbors (NAN) ??BANNOCKBURN NEIGHBORS ASSISTING NEIGHBORS (NAN) Miriam Kelty, PhD. keltym@