1. The Digital Library Challenge The Hybrid Library Today’s information resources collections are “hybrid” Combinations of - paper and digital format.
out of 23
Post on 16-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- The Digital Library Challenge The Hybrid Library Todays information resources collections are hybrid Combinations of - paper and digital format - local and remote storage Libraries have increasing difficulty managing hybrid collections Users have increasing difficulty finding what they need
- Slide 3
- If Users cant find it The Effect
- Slide 4
- Most Common: Leverage Commercial Databases and Content Were an insatiable consumer of commercial databases We have a large number of electronic resources to accommodate remote access for distance students We have lots of collaborating efforts including joint licensing of full text products The university is geographically dispersed so electronic resources are extremely important. We have over 200 databases What do libraries want?
- Slide 5
- Common: Context sensitive reference linking We need local control of multiple e-subscriptions to the same journal We have requests from our medical faculty for better navigation among all the medical e-resources Wed like to have seamless linking among all of our databases What do libraries want?
- Slide 6
- Somewhat Common: E-reserves control We do a lot of scanning of articles for reserves and send articles directly to patrons electronically Were not doing e-reserves yet Were also doing electronic reserves to accommodate distance learning students We have electronic reserves capability, but the faculty is fighting us on this and we need to do a better sell job What do libraries want?
- Slide 7
- Less Common: Locally developed Digital Content and Collections Were just starting to digitize our archives and catalog this stuff in the OPAC Were working with a couple of special collections projects like fragile drawings. We scan the images, mount the web site and have students actually use them We have a number of projects that are creating content. We got a NSF grant for a music projectand are also doing electronic images for art history We have several digital initiatives What do libraries want?
- Slide 8
- Less Common: Integration with university portal, courseware, learning objects We need to integrate library resources with courseware like Blackboard--were already working together, but this needs to be integrated access We need to provide the same interface for students to access their current student account, the classes theyre registered for next semester, and course reserve information from the library. What do libraries want?
- Slide 9
- Desired Features of the Digital Library Solution: Over 80% of librarians asked for an integrated product with a single point of access -- easy and intuitive for users Over 60% of librarians asked for support for a wide variety of metadata (e.g. Dublin Core, EAD, TEI, self-defined) Over 50% of librarians asked for a comprehensive product that is compatible with any vendors library management system, and includes rights management
- Slide 10
- Your Digital Library needs are a Continuum Library Management Access Linking Digital Collections to the Digital Library Learning Objects
- Slide 11
- We think you need Library OPAC Local Digital Repositories Search and Navigation Layer Remote Digital Repositories A&I Databases Complete system one stop shopping/integrated access that grows as the library grows
- Slide 12
- The solution for managing, searching, and linking all of your collections
- Slide 13
- Linking Search and Discovery Object Management Collection Management License & Rights Management Modules of ENCompass
- Slide 14
- Search & Discovery Integrated end-user search across multiple data types and databases Searches both local and remote metadata Z39.50 searching XML Gateway searching HTTP searching De-duped and relevance ranked results Searching collection metadata as a whole to suggest collections Local collection metadata Remote database thesauri Web based, using XSL technology for ultimate customization of displays
- Slide 15
- Object Management Used to create and maintain local digital collections Very flexible metadata structures Dublin core, EAD, full text, custom Online creation or batch loading of descriptive metadata Multiple databases (repositories) in a single system Hierarchical organization possibilities
- Slide 16
- Content Management Ability to organize resources into virtual collections that make sense to your end-users Tools that speed the implementation process
- Slide 17
- Rights & License Management ENCompass 2.0 helps libraries manage access to licensed and restricted materials via rights lists. Ability to control access to resources by: Domain IP ranges User login Multiple options for Authentication Voyager database LDAP Local authentication
- Slide 18
- Presents links from any Open-URL enabled source (incl. ENCompass itself!) Generates links to related resources based on citation data Full text Print holdings Check other libraries catalogs Internet search engines Other extended services Presenting the Best Sources (appropriate copy) Linking
- Slide 19
- The Knowledge Base Pre-populated database of thousands (>8,000) of academic sources of content providers and the titles they deliver Covering journals in both STM and the social sciences Saves valuable time in setting up your links! Linking
- Slide 20
- ENCompass Suite Three new introductions:
- Slide 21
- Our Customers 19 institutions have licensed ENCompass Cornell University Kansas State University University of Pennsylvania National Library of Medicine International Labor Organisation (Geneva) National Library of New Zealand ENCompass version 2 released
- Slide 22
- Why is it important ? Libraries bring value by organizing and presenting information Digital collections are part of the librarys holdings Users want unified access !
- Slide 23
- More Information: http://encompass.endinfosys.com email@example.com
View more >
LNCS 7248 - Why Simulate? Hybrid Biological-Digital ?· Why Simulate? Hybrid Biological-Digital Games…
Analog-Digital Hybrid Modulation for improved efficiency ...findrohan.8m.net/Analog-Digital Hybrid ·…
Roy Tennant The California Digital Library The Hybrid Library: From a State of Disarray to a State of Grace The Hybrid Library: From a State of Disarray.
D1232 Digital Super Hybrid System DIGITAL SUPER ?· Panasonic D816 DIGITAL SUPER HYBRID SYSTEM ... 49…
Hybrid Digital-Analog Source-Three Bandwidth fady/Conference/cwit11-hda.pdf · Hybrid Digital-Analog…
“Knitting the Digital Library Together” - ?· “Knitting the Digital Library Together ... Digitization…
The ASME Digital Library - Osmaniye Korkut Ata depo. ASME Digital Library ASME Digital Library, derneğin…