10 Web 2.0 Strategies for Engaging Learners
Post on 17-May-2015
DESCRIPTIONCampus Technology '08 presentation
- 1. Welcome to Technology-Enhanced Strategies for Engaging Your Learners
2. What Should You Expect?
- Barriers to student engagement
- Strategies to overcome barriers
- Suggestions for implementing the strategies
- LOTS of opportunities to interact and share ideas!
3. What is Engagement? *
- Participation in class activities/assignments?
- Time on Task?
- Deep, sustained effort?
- Enthusiastic, curious approach to content?
- * Do your students hold the same definition?
4. Barriers to Engagement
- Learner Motivation
- Break down the barriers; provide opportunities to build up engagement
5. Social Barriers
- Feeling isolated
- Lacking interaction
- Missing social context cues (Am I being understood? Do I understand?)
6. Reducing Social Barriers
- Goal: Create a sense of community.
- FIRST CONTACT
- Make early contact
- Welcome audio/video message
- Ask students to introduce themselves.
- SHARING / TEAMWORK
- Provide opportunities for collaboration.
7. Reducing Social Barriers First Contact Tech Enhancement: Email Share your syllabus, contact info, resources Tech Enhancement:Azoocahttp://www.azoocacapture.com Embed a video message on your home page. Encourage students to reply. 8. Reducing Social Barriers INTRODUCTIONS Ask students to introduce themselves. Tech Enhancement:VOKIhttp:// www.voki.com This fun and easy tool will provide you and your students with various opportunities to show off your personality and share something fun about yourself. 9. Reducing Social Barriers SHARING / TEAM WORK Assign work that fosters collaboration & sharing. Tech Enhancement: BLOGhttp:// www.blogger.com A class-created blog will provide opportunities for you and your students to share resources and course survival tips! 10. Administrative Barriers
- Missing directions/clear expectations
- Lacking timely feedback *
- * In published research, student-instructor interactions - including timely feedback are one of the most significant factors in student satisfaction and learning.
11. Reducing Admin Barriers
- Goal: Increase your interactions with students.
SHARE CONTACT INFO Be available to answer questions.REPEAT YOURSELF OFTEN State directions and expectations in various ways. PROVIDE FEEDBACK Vary your timing, amount, and manner of feedback 12. Reducing Admin Barriers SHARE CONTACT INFO Be available to answer questions.REPEAT YOURSELF OFTEN State directions and expectations in various ways. PROVIDE FEEDBACK Vary your timing, amount, and manner of feedback Tech Enhancement: SKYPEhttp:// skype.com An easy to use IM tool that makes your students feel as if you are available and provides opportunities for you to answer question, give feedback, etc. 13. Motivation Barriers
- Finding online environment to be boring (lack of varied resources, sameness of assignments, etc.)
- Lacking self-direction abilities (planning, scheduling, organizing, etc.)
14. Reducing Motivation Barriers
- Goal: Provide support and engaging content
CHUNK LARGE ASSIGNMENTS Create smaller, more frequent assignments that encourage interaction USE CALENDAR & REMINDERS Post reminders about upcoming deadlines. USE MULTIMEDIA RESOURCES Create a resource collection from items on web. 15. Reducing Motivation Barriers USE MULTIMEDIA RESOURCES Create a resource collection from items on web (or have your students create them!!) Tech Enhancement: Protopagehttp:// www.protopage.com or Pageflakeshttp:// www.pageflakes.com Easy tools to help you create resource collections. Can also be used to promote multimedia resource sharing and collection by your students. 16. #10: Be Engaged
- Share your excitement!
- Podcast your research or ideas on subject
- Share your professional resources wiki, blog, start pages, del.icio.us bookmarks
- Remember what got you excited about your field and let them know.
17. Thank You!
- Please visit
- My wikihttp://tektrekker.pbwiki.comor
- My bloghttp://tektrek.wordpress.com
- for more ideas about using to engage your learners.