222....handling obstacles in choosing a career 1
out of 26
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONHandling Obstacles in choosing a career
- HHAANNDDLINLINGG OOBBSSTTAACCLLEESS ININ CCHHOOOOSSIINGNG AA CCAARREEEERR
- Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. Michael Jordan
- A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. Christopher Reeve
- Obstacles are like wild animals. They are cowards but they will bluff you if they can. If they see you are afraid of them... they are liable to spring upon you; but if you look them squarely in the eye, they will slink out of sight. Orison Swett Marden
- If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. Frank Howard Clark
- Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. Booker T. Washington
- HHAANNDDLINLINGG OOBBSSTTAACCLLEESS ININ CCHHOOOOSSIINGNG AA CCAARREEEERR Common Obstacles These obstacles are interwoven, and one can lead to another, until we find ourselves caught up in a downward spiral. But we dont have to let these following obstacles defeat us.
- HHAANNDDLINLINGG OOBBSSTTAACCLLEESS ININ CCHHOOOOSSIINGNG AA CCAARREEEERR Obstacles can be anything or anyone that gets in the way of you reaching your goal. Realizing that there will likely be obstacles along the path to your goal makes it easier to plan for, overcome or avoid them.
- HHAANNDDLINLINGG OOBBSSTTAACCLLEESS ININ CCHHOOOOSSIINGNG AA CCAARREEEERR Obstacles can come in two forms: roadblocks and real limitations. A roadblock is an obstacle which you have the power to control. Many roadblocks are very real and cannot be changed or removed - these are called limitations.
- HHAANNDDLINLINGG OOBBSSTTAACCLLEESS ININ CCHHOOOOSSIINGNG AA CCAARREEEERR All opportunities lie in areas which you CAN change. It is important for you to decide whether the roadblock is a true limitation, something that you are unable to change, or not. Accepting any limitations requires you to be really honest with yourself and you may need to adjust your goal accordingly. Don't waste energy on things you can't change at the time.
- PPEERRSSOONNAALL OOBBSSTTAACCLLEESS -attitude -fear/anxiety -procrastination -lack of time management -low self-esteem, no confidence -not assertive -difficulty communicating -no positive vision -lack of drive, ambition -lack of education -lack of experience -lack of skills
- EEXXTTEERRNNAALL OOBBSSTTAACCLLEESS -economy -lack of information -people -competition -location of training/jobs -lack of financial resources -lack of support systems -family, friends, peers -stereotyping
- CCOOMMMMONON OOBBSSTTAACCLESLES BELIEFSBELIEFS FEARSFEARS LACK OFLACK OF CLARITYCLARITY LACK OFLACK OF FOCUSFOCUS LACK OFLACK OF KNOWLEDGEKNOWLEDGE OR SKILLSOR SKILLS MAKINGMAKING EXCUSESEXCUSES
- While some fears are a normal reaction to a real or imminent danger, fears can be an excuse for not confronting situations in which we expect to feel inadequate or humiliated. It is a way of keeping ourselves safe, but it can prevent us from taking the risk that make life exciting. ffeeaarrss
- We form beliefs from the time were born. Some serve us, while others limit us. The problem comes when we see our beliefs as factual realities. By identifying our beliefs as such we can make other choices. BBeelliieeffss
- With all the choices that life throw at us, we may not know how to wade through them. We get confused, overwhelmed and stuck. LLaackck ooff ClClariarityty
- When approaching something new, we may feel unprepared to deal with the additional education that will be required of us. We may feel inadequate to learn new skills. What were missing may feel unattainable, and we give up before we even start. LLaackck ooff KnKnowowledgeledge oorr SSkkillillss
- Even if we narrow down the choices, we may have so many that we dont know what to focus on first. We end up responding to all the urgencies and distractions, rather than actively choosing where we will put our attention. LLaacckk ooff FFooccusus
- Excuses make it easier to give up on a dream. By making excuses you give up responsibility for your goal and the problem is never solved. Some common excuses are: -I'm not smart enough! -I'm too smart! -I'm a woman! -I'm a man! -No one believes in me! -My family expects too much of me! -I'm too young! -I'm too old! -I can't do it! -I'm too shy! MMaakkiinngg EExxccuusseess
- It is also helpful to differentiate between real and perceived blocks. If I start ice skating at the age of 40 with the intention of qualifying for the Olympics, that is a REAL BLOCK- even 25 is considered old in that arena. On the other hand, if I decide to start a new business at that age, it may be difficult, but its doable. I may need to work through the 5 blocks above, but with the proper determination, resources and support, I can do it. CCAAVVEEAATT!!
- WWaayyss iinn FFaacciinngg CCoommmmoonn OObbssttaacclleess Lesson / Opportunity Seeing your obstacle in this way can fuel your determination. If everything was easy, it would all become bland and you would get bored and stagnate. Blocks force us to go beyond our current capabilities, both inner and outer and to stretch ourselves, to push the envelope. You can take them as a chance to grow, to become a better, stronger person, to gain coping tools that will serve you in the future and allow you to take on even bigger challenges.
- BBlloocckkss vs.vs. HHuurdrdlesles Blocks are something that completely stops you and hurdles are something that gets you in your way, but that you can jump. Often what turns a hurdle into a block is a belief that you cant do it, for one reason or another. As you work through your obstacles, you can learn and create strategies to help you manage future ones.
- GGeett CCllaarriityty Write, draw, speak your issues. Work with a friend or coach to pull apart the pieces that are confusing you, and come to a place of clarity.
- PPrriioorriititizzee aanndd PPllaann Take your goals and dreams, write them down and prioritize them. Break them down into small steps and schedule those steps. Take into account the deadlines but be sure to also give priority to the things that may not be urgent, but are important to creating the future you want.
- TToo ssuumm UUpp 1. Identify your obstacle(s). 2. Ask yourself, "What can I do about it? 3.Think of as many possible solutions as you can. 3.Choose the best one for you. 4.Write down your plan. 5.Set a realistic time frame. 6.Take action!
- RReemmeemmbbeerr!! OBSTACLES ARE THOSE FRIGHTENING THINGS YOU SEE WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR GOAL.
View more >
Cross-border Cooperation: Obstacles to Overcoming cross-border cooperation obstacles besides a legal
Overcoming Obstacles to Colour-Kinematics Duality ?· Overcoming Obstacles to Colour-Kinematics Duality…
Reciprocal Velocity Obstacles for Real-Time Multi gamma.cs.unc.edu/RVO/ Reciprocal Velocity Obstacles
Educational obstacles for children living with ... ?· Educational obstacles for children living with…
Rhetoric, reality and resilience: overcoming obstacles ?· OBSTACLES TO YOUNG PEOPLE’ S PARTICIPATION…