3-1 The Distributive Property How are rectangles related to the Distributive Property?
out of 11
Post on 24-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- 3-1 The Distributive Property How are rectangles related to the Distributive Property?
- Slide 2
- Finding the Area of a Rectangle You find the area of a rectangle by using the formula length times width. On the next page, you will see two rectangles. There are two ways of finding their total areas.
- Slide 3
- Method 1 Put them together Add the lengths + = Multiply ( ) = 2 7 4 6 42
- Slide 4
- Method 2 Separate them. Multiply to find each area. 4(7) = 28 2(7) = 14 Add. 2 7 4 7
- Slide 5
- Key Concept To multiply a number by a sum, multiply each number inside the parentheses by the number outside the parentheses.
- Slide 6
- Use the Distributive Property 2(6 + 4) (8 + 3)5
- Slide 7
- 4(5 + 8) (6 + 9)2
- Slide 8
- Use the Distributive Property to Solve a Problem A one-day pass to an amusement park costs $40. A round-trip bus ticket to the park costs $5. Write two equivalent expressions to find the total cost of a one-day pass and a bus ticket for 15 students. Find the total cost.
- Slide 9
- North Country Rivers of York, Maine, offers one- day white-water rafting trips on te Kennebec River. The trip costs $68 per person, and wet suits are $15 each to rent. Write two equivalent expressions to find the total cost of one trip for a family of four if each person rents a wet suit. Find the total cost.
- Slide 10
- Simplify Algebraic Expressions Use the Distributive Property to write each expression as an equivalent algebraic expression. 3(x + 1) (y + 4)5 4(x + 4) (y + 3)6
- Slide 11
- 2(x 1) -3(n 5) 4(x 2) -2(n 3)
View more >
1.7 The Distributive Property. You can use the distributive property to simplify algebraic expressions We can use the distributive property to re-write.
Ch 1.3 Distributive Property Objective: To use the distributive property to simplify variable expressions.
Distributive Property Explanation of Distributive Property Distributive Property is a property of numbers that ties t he operation of addition ( Subtract)
Distributive Property (A) - math- ?· Title: Algebra Worksheet -- Using the Distributive Property (Answers…
Algebra 1 Ch 2.6 – The Distributive Property. Objective Students will use the distributive property.