a lego-lized world of immersive learning environments
Post on 17-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONUsing LEGO in immersive environments and creating transformational learning.
A Lego-lized World of Immersive Learning EnvironmentsDr. Quiana Bradshaw, DCS
July 17, 2014
Lego Meets Virtual World Environment
Legos are being used in Virtual World Environments
Legos are used as a metric and were successful when using in a virtual world environment, such as Second Life. Experimental collaborative projects were conducted at universities in both the UK & Japan.
Virtual Worlds Facilitate LearningVirtual world enables educational transformation of new learning environments which supports inter-disciplinary learning environments. Lego can be built to be adaptive within a virtual world or immersive learning environment.
Lego-lized Emerging Technologies
Meet Lego MindstormsLEGO building system with the most advanced technology that was developed for Lego users that enjoy that technological edge.
The new LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 set to create and command Robots that walk, talk, think and do anything you can imagine.
Lego’s Innovative Immersive Learning Collaboration Efforts
Fusing Lego with Instructional Technologies
Instructional technologies can pave the way for the e-learning environment. With much advancement in emerging technologies in our growing society, it leaves room for taking education to the next level. Learning should be essential but also interactive and fun while doing so. The game design elements of the Lego use in a virtual world environment process can be beneficial and ideal for learners to increase their interactivity.
Click icon to add picture
Adult education that utilizes the andragogy curriculum model shifts the learning focus from the teacher to the learner is what emphasizes this theory. In the online environment, learning styles are pertinent to enhance the college learning experience.
There are many virtual platforms various colleges and universities use. Some are Blackboard, Angel, Sakai, and eCollege among many other platforms have structured their platform to manage the learning experience.
Constructivist Learning TheoryWith this theory learners construct their own feeling and knowledge on what they experience in the world. So where does Lego-lized learning fit into that?
Benefits of Constructivist Learning in Immersive Environments
Bloom’s Taxonomy ModelThe elements of Bloom’s Taxonomy model which involves 6 distinct elements.
Transformational Learning TheoryTransformative Learning is a theory of deep learning that goes beyond just content knowledge acquisition, or learning equations, or memorizing data applications.
Ubiquity of Transformational Learning
Lego-based Video Games
Legos in Virtual Worlds
Lego & Computer Science
Lego & Computer Science, (cont’d)
• Computer Science Students at the University of Texas San Antonio are learning with Legos.
• Students were to build Lego robots and advanced handy-boards were purchased for the computer science students.
ConclusionUsing transformational learning with LEGOs will give educators an idea on how to increase engagement, creativity, and interaction among students. LEGO in immersive world environments are ideal to use in the field of computer science.
• Lego Website (2014). Mindstorms. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/products/ev3/31313-mindstorms-ev3/
• Lego Images (n.d.). Lego Images. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+images&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cTbIU56oM7P98AG4roGYBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=674
• Martin. S. (2010). Learning spaces tasks and metrics for effective communication in Second Life within the context of programming Lego NXT Mindstorms robots-toward a framework for design and implementation. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://www.academia.edu/423051/Learning_spaces_tasks_and_metrics_for_effective_communication_in_Second_Life_within_the_context_of_programming_LEGO_NXT_Mindstorms_robots-_towards_a_framework_for_design_and_implementation
• Quaver Music Blog (n.d.). Bloom Taxonomy picture. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://quavermusicblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/BloomsTaxonomy.png
• Second Life. (2014). About Second Life. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://secondlife.com/
• The University of Texas San Antonio (2014). UTSA Computer Science Students Learn with LEGOS. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://utsa.edu/today/2008/12/lego.cfm
• Thirteen Education Online Website (2004). What is Constructivism? Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/concept2class/constructivism/
• Transformative Learning Theory. (n.d.) Core Principles. Retrieve July 17, 2014 from http://transformativelearningtheory.com/corePrinciples.html