american dream of the 1950s how do people live the “american dream”?
out of 7
Post on 23-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- American Dream of the 1950s How do people live the American Dream?
- Slide 2
- American Business more people move into higher-paying white collar professions (managers, sales, clerical) Corporations expand buying other companies, creating conglomerates Some form franchises like Ray Croc who bought McDonalds & franchised out the business
- Slide 3
- Suburban America Middle-class whites leave the cities, go to suburbs white flight Incredible # of children born after the war known as the baby boom, family & values emphasized 50s television also glorifies women as homemakers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sam9wP_uMEA Entertainment industry expands w incl. drive-in theatres & 3-D movies & comics. Sports also very popular (MLB & NFL)
- Slide 4
- Automobile Culture Suburban living made the car a necessity Good advertising & easy credit terms made cars popular Interstate Highway System federal govt builds a nationwide network of roads & highways Interstate Hwy make high speed trucking possible People also flock to vacation spots
- Slide 5
- Pop Culture of the 50s Television is the new form of mass media (5% of homes in 1950, 55% by 1954, 90% by 1959) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-IPXpvRaU Invention of TV Guide & TV Dinners make viewing easier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Qn38WdTTs Beatniks Beat movement starts in San Francisco, people who didnt believe in the mainstream conformity of the 1950s
- Slide 6
- Teenagers 50s begins emergence of the teenager Numerous products geared towards teens (clothes, music, hygiene) Comics, movies & music geared toward the teenage audience Rock N Roll Chuck Berry, Richard Penniman & Bill Haley make Rock N Roll popular amongst teens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fsqYctXgM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofD9t_s ULM&feature=related Elvis Presley brings Rock n Roll into the mainstream
- Slide 7
- When America was Rocked 1.How did the Ed Sullivan Show help Elvis? 2.How was Elvis changing America? 3.How were teens influenced by rock? 4.How could rock n roll lead to the turmoil of the 60s?
View more >
Introduction In the 1950s, in American Christianity, there ... ?· In the 1950s, in American Christianity,…
the 1950s? the American dream of - University of Franchise Planned Obsolescence This leads directly to the Throw-away Society How does pressure to conform affect the American dream?
1950s Preparing for the advertisement!. The American Dream: the 1950s "Millions of white, middle-class Americans shared a life style that represented