aurora borealis by kristen and miranda what is aurora borealis? aurora borealis, or other wise known...
Embed Size (px)
By Kristen and Miranda
What is Aurora Borealis?
• Aurora Borealis, or other wise known as the Northern Lights, is a colorful occurrence that is mostly seen around the northern horizon, and in the polar zone.
• The northern lights can be any bight color, depending on where it is. Example: In Iceland the northern lights might be a blue, white, or green.
Were Does the Northern Lights get it’s name?
• The northern lights gets it’s name from the names:
• Aurora – The name of the Roman goddess of dawn.
• Borealis –The Greek word for north wind.
What causes the northern What causes the northern lights?lights?
• The northern lights are caused by the collision of charged electrons that are found in the magnetosphere.
• A Magnetosphere is a region in space in which fantastic events are organized by Earths magnetic field.
• Along with atoms in the Earths upper atmosphere they create beautiful colorations of light.
Early sighting of the northern lights
• The first time anyone has spotted the northern lights occurred on September 2nd, 1859.
• This was the first time it was spotted world wide!
• Some places where you can see these magnificent lights is in Alaska and California.
A Legend of Aurora Borealis
• The Makah Indians of Washington state thought the northern lights where fires in the Far North, over which a tribe of dwarfs, half the length of a canoe paddle and so strong they caught whales with their hands, boiled blubber.
The wonders of aurora borealis