can we design organizations for beauty?
out of 83
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThe future is ours to imagine, design and create. And if we’re dreaming the future into being, why not dream of a future where business is beautiful. Where business delivers the promise of happiness. Where business is an incredible force for positive change in the world.
- Can we design organizations for beauty? @joyce_hostyn
- orc / mordor/ sarumons dark place
- They could NOT make beautiful things.
- We arent Orcs (even though sometimes we act like it)
- shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world. Shareholder value is a result, not a strategy...your main constituencies are your employees, your customers and your products. Jack Welch
- They could NOT make beautiful things.
- we need a new narrative for business
- Why is the language of business so sterile, so uninspiring and so relentlessly banal?... Customers, investors, taxpayers and policymakers believe theres a hole in the soul of business. The only way for managers to change this fact, and regain the moral high ground, is to embrace what Socrates called the good, the just and the Gary Hamel beautiful.
- Never has there been a more exciting time for all of us to explore this next great frontier where the boundaries between work and higher purpose are merging into one, where doing good really is good for business.
- Here's to creating the greatest car company of the 21st century, and to making a real difference in the world, and to moving us off fucking oil as fast as possible. Elon Musk, Tesla 1. Build sports car 2. Use that money to build an affordable car 3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car 4. While doing above, also provide zeroemission electric-power generation options
- When I say fool, I am talking about a company that embraces unconventional wisdom. Tom Gardner
- Bridge has the potential to create a minimum standard of education for every child in the world that is much higher than it is today. Hands-down, it is the most innovative company in the education space at the base of the pyramid and has created a model that will be studied and replicated by organizations across the world. I will be sad to leave, but I am optimistic that the company will change the world. Josh Weinstein
- beautiful, meaningful and humane Handmade School in Rudrapur, Bangladesh, Architects: Anna Heringer, Eike Roswag
- the beautiful
- places we call beautiful are the work of those rare architects with the humility to interrogate themselves adequately about their desires and the tenacity to translate their fleeting apprehensions of joy into logical plans a combination that enables them to create environments that satisfy needs we never consciously new we even had. Alain de Botton Stefano Boeris Urban Vertical Forest: Bosco Verticale
- people at the center Procter & Gamble Olympics Mother's Day Ad
- powered by purpose
- product of deep integrity
- elegantly crafted
- loving of all stakeholders
- sustainably good WikiPearl draws inspiration from the magic of grape skins to eliminate plastic from foods and beverages. Revolutionary and delicious, WikiPearl is triply good -- good for the planet, good for you, and just plain good.
- emotionally resonate Now we look at prosthetics and dont think of them just as technology solutions, but think of the problem of a missing limb and whether there is a way to incorporate design and the arts and human emotion into the solution. It invites us to see problems and solutions in an entirely different light. Scott Summit, Bespoke Innovations
- empowering heroes
- building connection The Born Friends Family Portrait , by Skype, www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRKyQ11494
- delivering a promise of happiness illustration by Sunni Brown, Delivering Happiness
- forging lasting relationships I love Apple. I use multiple Apple products every day. I get excited to walk into Apples candy colored immaculate stores. I walk through the different sections enamored with each product. I could spend hours exploring each products nuances. Surprisingly enough though, my love of all things Apple wasnt love at first sight; it was more like a seed planted that slowly grew My love of all things Apple will continue to grow. I know this because the company is always reinventing its products in a way that makes the coolest thing you own even cooler! Erin Vogelsanger
- turning impossible into possible Mindsets play strange tricks on us. We see things the way our minds have instructed our eyes to see. Muhammad Yunus
- making the world a better place Question for the Blue Monster Crowd: Who owns the soul of Microsoft? Hugh McLeod
- To call a work of architecture or design beautiful is to recognize it as a rendition of values critical to our flourishing. Alain de Botton
- business can be a terrible force for evil
- The very essence of capitalism is under threat as business is now seen as a personal wealth accumulator. We have to bring this world back to sanity and put the greater good ahead of self-interest. Paul Polman CEO of Unilever
- or an incredible force for good
- We owe our existence to innovation. We owe our prosperity to innovation We owe our future to innovation Innovation isnt a fad its the real deal, the only deal. our future no less than our past depends on innovation. Gary Hamel
- capitalism needs a brain and a soul Nancy Koehn
- for its the soul of business that keeps us moving forward as a society
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital is unlike any hospital in the nation. We believe in a comprehensive health care experience that includes mind, body and spirit as essential elements in the healing process.
- Sanitary napkins produced in aSmall is Beautifulmodel can deliver livelihood, hygiene and dignity to poor women, and help them strengthen society. A. Muruganandam
- if we put customers first, other stakeholders will also benefit, as long as theyre willing to take the long-term view. And a long-term approach is essential for invention, because youre going to have a lot of failures along the way. Jeff Bezos
- What is your organization saying?
- with its public space
- with its employee space Wish You Worked Here: Beautiful, Productive Office Spaces, HBR
- with its communications
- with its information beautiful information reduces violence by 50%
- with its meetings
- with its behaviours
- with its employee experience The world we see around us, countries and continents, have been built on the back of these signatures. The future too will be written on these signatures. Signatures of employees... Truth is, every employee is a hero.
- with its language How to make your business a better version of itself. Hugh McLeod
- with its stories The Scarecrow, Chipolte www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE
- with its products Imagine your organization powered by technology that's beautiful, easy-touse, and designed to speed performance. Beauty as core competence drives Infor's UX
- with its employee apps intranet can be beautiful beauty is not just about what it looks like, but in how it works, allowing employees to share knowledge Beautiful Intranets
- with its innovations This is one of the most beautiful things I know. It's a plastic bag. And when I looked at it first, I thought, no, there's no beauty in that. Then I found out if I put it into a filthy puddle or a stream filled with coliforms and all sorts of disgusting stuff, that that filthy water will migrate through the wall of the bag by osmosis and end up inside it as pure, potable drinking water. And all of a sudden, this plastic bag was extremely beautiful to me. Richard Seymour, How Beauty Feels
- with its packaging because the presentation was so lovely that I felt like I was being sent a gift to say thank you for supporting Who Made Your Pants
- with its footprint
- with its user experience it'll begin "learning" immediately. Over the next seven days, Nest will collect data about the way you adjust your heating or cooling, and only then will it begin giving you smart feedback to help you conserve energy.
- through its service with its service experience
- signaling its empathy
- Beauty requires us to think in new ways
- Its impossible to develop new styles of organization and management while continuing to think in old ways. Gareth Morgan image by Medi Belortaja
- Without a deeply felt and a powerfully lived sense of meaning, every business will devolve to what the investment banks became: machines engineered with relentless precision to destroy long-run value, often implosively so. Umair Haque
- Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question. e.e. cummings
- At our core is the eternal question what if? What if business applications were agile? What if users are experiencing a Todays they were social? What renaissance of user-centric consumer if they were software beautiful, engaging, and easybeautiful?What if applications such as Flipboard, to-use people worked the Instagram, Mint.com, and Facebook. With way they live? in mind, Infor created Hook & Loop, an this internal creative think tank made up of more than 50 designers, information architects, and creative storytellers, all focused on creating the next generation of business applications for the next generation of business application users.
- What if you imagined the kind of city in which youd like to live, and then designeda car for this ideal place? amorebeautifulquestion.com
- Can organizations be beautiful? Can organizational designs be beautiful? Is there a designerly-ness to the process of organizational design? Are there overarching design concepts that can be described as beautiful? I think Shaker communities might be consi
View more >