ch. 18 gothic art
Post on 06-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Gothic Art Ch. 18
- Vasari a writer during the Renaissance described Gothic Art was monstrous and barbarous invented by Goths
- Downfall of Rome? Ugly and Crude
- Downfall of Art? 13 and 14 thCenturies all the rage was Goth Art!
- Started in France in 1140 then Prague and Czech Republic- Islamic and Byzantine Art still popular at this time
- Gothic art is a distortion of the Classical Style
3. What was going on during this time?
- 100 year war- 1137 shattered peace between France and England
- 14 thCentury- great plague-quarter of its people dead
- Great Schism- opposing popes resided in Rome and in Avignon ( southern France)
- Time for knights, maidens, Crusades, Kings, Queens
4. St. Denis France 1140
- Symbol of Royalty
- Longer nave arcade
- Ambulatory & Radiating chapels
5. Rib vaulting- crossed- diagonal arches under its groins, shaping of the vault is easy, less buttressing needed, vaults taller= higher churches and open walls leave room for stained glass. 6. Chartes Cathedral -1134 7.
- Massive west towers
- Royal Portals Kings/ Queens
- 3 Doorways
- Jamb sculptures Old Testament Kings & Queens
- majesty of power, cult of virgin Mary, mother of
- Christ, Zodiac Symbols, 1-2 apostles
8. Laon Cathedral Laon France 1190 9. 10. The Catholic Church, how was money raised for these churches?
- Indulges pardons for sins committed
- Chartes cathedral burnt down in 1194(27 years to rebuild)
- Townspeople drove the Bishop into exile
11. Notre Dame 12.
- Notre- Dame Louis the VI (aka The Fat)1130 Moved to Paris
- Bldg Boom
- Sexpartie ribvaultingcovered nave
- Oculus = small window
- Churches burned down frequently in the middle ages
- Money was raised for money war plague
13. Rose Windows in Chartes 14. Flying Buttresses- to hold thiner & taller walls slender fingers holding walls up 15. Chartes Jamb sculptures 16. Guilds in Belgium
- Hall of the Cloth Guild Bruges Belgium
17. Figures based on Geometric Shapes Honnecourt 1220-1235ce 18. God as Architect of the World, 18-30
- Mixing of worlds together, building
19. Blanche of Castile Louis IX, Bible 1126 20. Abraham and the 3 angels 1253 ink, gold leaftempera on vellum 21. Virgin of Jeann d EvreuxFrance 1339