chicago's culture, contemporary life
Post on 05-Jul-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Chicagos Culture &Contemporary Life
2. Performing Arts The Second Citywas the birthplace of modernimprovisational comedy . > 3. Literature
- Ernest Hemingway was born in Oak Park, a Chicago suburb.
- Chicago is best known for its blues, jazz, soul & gospel music.
5. Festivals Music & Others
- Lollapalooza 3 day alternative rock, punk, hip hop music festival in August.
- Chicago Blues Festival early June
- Chicago Jazz FestivalLabor Day weekend
- Grant Park Music Festival 10 week classical and jazz music series in Milennium Park
- Chicago Air & Water Show display of aircraft and watercraft on the coast of Lake Michigan
- Chicago Auto Show the largest auto show in North America takes place in February
- St. Patricks Day Parade the Chicago River is dyed green during this March 17 celebration.
6. 7. 8. 9. Visual Arts 10. Art Institute of Chicago
- The Art Institute is a fine art museum located in Grant Park.Its the second largest art museum in the US (after the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY), and its most famous for its Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works.It also houses a wide variety of contemporary and modern art as well as decorative arts.
11. 12. 13. Museum Campus
- Chicagos near south side houses four of the most important museums the city has to offer:
- Adler Planetarium
- Museum of Science & Industry
- Field Museum of Natural History
- Shedd Aquarium
14. 15. Aerial View of Museum Campus 16. Adler Planetarium
- It was the first one built in the Western Hemisphere
17. Museum of Science & Industry
- It was originally built as the Palace of Fine Arts for the 1893 Worlds Columbian Exposition.
18. Field Museum
- The Field Museum of Natural Historyhouses the worlds largest and most complete Tyrranosaurus Rex skeleton, Sue.
19. Shedd Aquarium
- It was the first aquarium with an inland saltwater fish collection.
- Baseball:Cubs & White Sox
- Ice hockey:Blackhawks
21. Soldier Field
- The stadium is dedicated
- to American soldiers who have
- died in wars.
- Chicagos restaurant scene has been influenced by several immigrant cultures.Some of its ethnic districts include:
- Little Italy
- Although theyre not official disctricts, you can find plenty of Polish, Mexican, Vietnamese, Korean, Indo-Pakistani, and of course American food
23. Saganaki 24. 25. 26. Local specialties
- Chicago style deep dish pizza
- Chicago style hot dog
- Polish hot dog
- Italian beef sandwich
27. The original Chicago-style hot dog 28. 29. Taste of Chicago
- The Taste is the worlds largest food festival.Its a 10 day food & music festival that takes place in July.
30. Navy Pier 31. Lincoln Park 32. 33.