congratulations gradutate - by mark o'toole
out of 84
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONInteresting presentation for young graduates in search for their first job.
- Congratulations Graduate! Eleven Reasons Why I Will Never Hire You. by Mark OToole - PR & content at HB Agency
- o C m m e c n m e e t n o e v . r
- The real world awaits.
- Bushy-tailed and excited, you young graduates storm the job boards.
- Never mind the color of your parachute, some of you have no parachutes at all.
- And that can lead to a hard landing.
- Employers know that not all grads are created equal.
- Sometimes we hire people like you into entry-level positions.
- More often though, we dont.
- You are just not the right fit.
- A more impressive candidate captured our attention.
- Or you are simply a victim of some other random event out of your I didnt post that picture.
- But too many of you who had the skills and capabilities to make the cut or get a second interview blew it.
- in You te r br rv dis ou ie a gh wi st t y ng ro ou sk us do il wn ls .
- Is it you?
- Your family support system?
- ca Y re ou er r se sc rv ho ice o s s ls ta ff ?
- Whatever the reason, there are consistent themes as to why you didnt get the job.
- This wont be the first time youve heard these and it wont be the last, but as your class flourishes shiny new resumes in front of prospective employers, here are the top reasons why I will never hire you.
- 1. Your resume is longer than that of a 25-year professional.
- I appreciate your desire to showcase your classwork, high school accomplishments, extracurricular endeavors and your three marketing projects.
- But I need to see clarity and definition in what you present.
- Make it relevant, make it concise, make it focused.
- An overly long resume does not impress me.
- (A ridiculously short resume is equally dangerous. Did you do anything besides attend class?)
- You didnt prepare for our interview.
- Youre probably a better internet surfer than I am, so why didnt you spend a few minutes gathering intelligence about me or my business?
- X X X site. eb k ou d Y t loo idn my w at ut on eo ck m che ed to witter. l u fai or T Yo edIn ves: nk Li t pee old y pe to h rn m learn tful t lea tact; didn con ough s. You eye ve th stion e n; gi que mak versatio cult con s to diffi a wer ans
- (Im not always concerned with your actual answer but rather your composure and thinking process when answering it).
- . 3 q u n o i t s e s
- Look up questions to ask online. questions grads should ask in an interview Find 30 questions no one has ever asked me.
- Show me how you gather information.
- ? Do you want me to think Im going to have to do the work for you, or that youll show up prepared every day?
- You wrote a thank you note, and only used it to thank me.
- I also enjoyed our time together, so instead of just thanking me, add value.
- Use your note (email or note/card are all fine nothing is not) to show your passion for this job.
- Reflect upon what you learned in the interview.
- Confirm why youre the candidate of my dreams.
- You dressed for failure.
- My workplace is casual, at least most of the time. Many offices are these days.
- But you should not be for an interview.
- it . re d ss co es e) ok and w out o other on r a clothi t c night cl ng ub ut nd s u en , ts eek n ir w o -sh a s, t to ce hino ear ni c a eans, ay w J m en y ou (ev
- I want to know what youll look like when I take you to see a client.
- Show me that you understand this.
- what you want
- But when you tell me that, youre basically saying, please invest loads of time and money into me, and maybe it will help me figure out that I want to do something else.
- e c n i v n o C yo t ve u ha t h re e e m w n a ed t o y r u to w rk o h w le o li . fe
- Yo ur um d ul ho . es e it rc nfo res rei
- Your follow-up note should hammer the point home.
- Im not all-t lo rade okin post s g ing . (If for a wou I w jac ld h ere, k-o ave the fs a i d j ob so.) a ja ck , the j d
- Because Im not really into candidates who wont throw themselves 100% into the opportunity at hand.
- 7. You dont get social media (but think you do).
- I dont expect you to be an expert in anything just getting out of school, but your resume claims social media expertise.
- Dumb Tweeter @dumbtweeter Your eight tweets in the last six months are not signs of immersion. (And your regular use of #fuckinA isnt effective.)
- Your blank Pinterest page is less than compelling.
- Spelling Tumblr with an e says something but not the right thing.
- Dabble in social while at school for sure.
- Tell me you have exposure to social networks.
- Just dont try to impress me with expertise that does not exist yet.
- oo d Did id n fr n t ea t d. Yo pr u
- d grammar If you cant eliminate bad grammar or misspellings from your resume or cover letter, how can I expect you to write an error-free report for a client? spellings from y me or cover let can I expect yo
- You DONt HAVE A LINKEDIN PROFILE
- LinkedIN IS THE Place to showcase your professional skills, even if they are nascent
- t righ s online up . t ip Set i are lots of t it some love (there ) and give p to hel
- ip sh rn te in hree). an (or two or t Do
- While this is more for those still in school than those just out, nothing makes you more attractive to me than knowing youve been exposed to a similar work environment.
- Internships also help you
View more >