consulting interview questions - management interview questions
Post on 16-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONConsulting Interview Questions - Management Interview Questions Connect with Craig Milbourne through Social Media: Twitter: http://twitter.com/craigmilbourne Slideshare: http://www.slideshare.net/craigmilbourne Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/ConsultingFastTrack LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigmilbourne You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CommsPointRecruit management consulting interview tips human resources jobs hr jobs consultancy jobs professional resume consulting jobs jobs in management hr consulting consultancy firms graduate jobs career advice career coaching graduate job graduate careers consulting firms job interview techniques interviewing skills job interview skills interview skills change management cv tips management consulting case studies job interviews tips consultant interview job interview tips interview technique interview tips job medical school interview consulting firm interview tips for jobs interviewing tips top consulting firms consultant interviews consultant interview questions consultant interview questions and answers job interview tips and advice job interview advice prepare for interview interview tips interview advice and tips interview tips and advice best interview tips preparing for an interview interview preparation top 10 interview tips job interview help preparing for interview preparation for interview interview questions tips top interview tips interview advice interview help interview top tips competency based interview interviewing questions management interview tips job interviews questions and answers consulting interview questions consulting interview tips consulting interviews case study interview interview practice job interview answers sales interview tips job interview questions consulting interview top ten jobs case interview interview preparation tips practice interview questions management consultancy interview questions recruitment interview tips job interview interview questions and answers interview answers management consultant interview questions interviews questions questions for interviews interview questions answers recruitment interview questions example interview questions management consulting interviews interview questions management consulting interview questions management interview questions top interview questions management consulting interview interview question common interview questions and answers best interview questions interview sales interview questions marketing interview questions telephone interview tips phone interview tips telephone interview telephone interview questions difficult interview questions good interview questions graduate interview questions mckinsey consulting
- 1. Comms Point Recruitment Solutions Management Consulting and FTSE 500 Recruitment Specialists Consulting Interview TipsBy Craig Milbourne Director and Co-Founder
2. Interview Preparation Why Listen to me? 1. Voted the UKs Top Management Consulting Recruiter 2007 2. Reviewed over 30,000 CVs in the last 7 years 3. Placed and coached for interviews 1,000s of candidates over the last 7 years in to the Top Management Consulting firms in the World 4. Dozens of testimonials on my LinkedIn profile to demonstrate this success 5. Recruited successful campaigns in to the likes of: Accenture, E&Y, Capgemini. 3.
- Your Best 3 Achievements
- Be able to define your:
- How did you added value
- So what You did, How you did it and what it achieved
- specifics and examples
- - Tangible measureable deliverables
- - Numbers facts and figures
- i.e. proof to make compelling succinct points
- Best Achievements - DONTS:
- Dont Say things like
- We did this.
- We did that.
- Unless your are demonstrating the points of:
- Team Work
- Contribution to Groups
- Breadth and Depth:
- Be able to give 2 or 3 examples for each scenario based type question
- For example:
- 3 examples of working under pressure
- 3 examples of problem solving
- - 2 examples of exceeding expectation
- Job Specs Slice and Dice
- Go through thejob spec line by line
- Be able to give 2 or 3 examples for each point OR your nearest alignment to the point in the job spec i.e. best fit
- You cant be all tings to all men
- Project Life Cycle
- Walk through a project life cycle from start to finish. Each step e.g. concept/ideation, problem identification/scoping, potential solutions, recommendations, implementation/execution, go live and support etc
- Again give examples of your role, responsibility, the results/deliverables you achieved
- Use correct terminology e.g. Programmes, Projects, Workstreams, Deliverables, ROI etc. This will resonate with the interviewer. Refer to consulting methodologies where you can.
- What Went Well/What didnt go well?
- Be able to articulate:
- - What went well
- - What didnt go so well (if asked) BUT with a positive spin:
- How could you did it differently?
- How could you make it better next time?
- What did you learn from that experience?
- i.e. People learn by mistakes when they feel pain, they avoid doing it again or repeating the experience. Like slamming your hand in a car door or poking your finger in to a flame.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- This means what are your goals?
- Only 2% of the adult population write down goals
- How can you hit a goal or target if you dont have one?
- If your career driven you should know what this is
- In Consulting this could be:
- Lead an area
- DeliveryDirectorship of Projects/P&L
- Develop Capabilities and Take tomarket
- Client- Sales/Business Development
- Tier 1 Client Relationship Management
- Programme Growth- Marketing, Hiring, standards, mentoring, coaching, leadership team
- Content Subject Matter Expert The Go To Person
- Competencies 5 Key Personal Attributes
- Clear communicator written and speaking, concise and succinct
- Confidence comfortable client facing
- Group presentationand facilitation skills engage, interact, lead, motivate the audience, story boarding etc.
- Time Management deadlines, pressure, priortising, task orientated, planning e.g. how do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time
- Awareness of ones own strengths and weakness e.g. delegating, try to do too much, empowering, avoid being a bull in a china shop, play to strengths, savvy, business acumen
- Competencies 6 Cultural Fit Ideas
- This depends on the company but its essential:
- - Understand the working environment . E.g. process orientated, self working, structure and hierarchy, decision making process, empowerment, career [progression, training, personal development, who are the leaders? What are their ethos/values? Brand/reputation?
- Energy show passion and drive. Vision, ideas, Positive, glass is full. Can do approach. Give examples of this.
- Likeable people person? How people describe working with you?
- Creative do you think out the box to solve problems? New ways of doing things? Examples of this.
- Influence do you inspire people? How? A David Beckham by letting performance do the talking? Or more vocal/motivation with words etc. What is your style, your leadership qualities, are you credible, are you trusted? Examples.
- Personal Direction know what you want? What is it? Goals? Achievement orientated?
- Competencies 7 Consulting Skills
- You may or may not be from a Consulting background. Good transferable skills/traits are:
- Active Listener takes time to understand issues and problems.
- Client Actively seek clients views and issues, immerse yourself in the client environment
- Project Management work within budgets, deadlines, prioritise tasks, adapting, on time and within specification, ROI
- Client Managementrelationships, communication, manage expectation, deliver bad news, diplomatic, negotiate, influence and manage stakeholders
- Committed commitment to the objectives and results for the client, exceed expectation, go the extra mile. Examples.
- Judgment demonstrate clear thinking and judgment, balanced and well thought out, pragmatic
- Innovative always look to make things better, dont become lax or rest upon past glory's, ifyour standing still your moving backwards as others catch-up
- 6 Competencies Commercial Awareness
- Business Mind Understand basic business and the bigger picture.
- The political and emotional impacts of Change. Revenue, Profits, Costs, Share Price. What makes businesss succeed and fail? E.g. customers, brand, image, reputation. Customer experience and interaction. Channels.
- Complex Issues Articulate and explain complex issues clearly to different levels and types of people. E.g. Technical vs Non Technical. Senior vs Junior.
- Industry Innovation Know who the industry market leaders are? Who is best in class? Who is setting the standard? Whos got it right? What are the latest Innovations or Opportunities? E.g. Digital/Social Media
- SellingRevenue is King for any business. All businesss need this. Can you drive revenue or sell?
- -Opportunistic Are you a shepherd or a sheep? Do you follow the herd? Can you spot an opportunity? How do you test it? Do you innovate? Break new ground? Game Change? Do you take risks? Examples?
- Innovative always look to make things better, dont become lax or rest upon past glory's, if standing still your moving backwards as others catch-up
- Scenario Testing
- A few test scenarios could be:
- How would you conduct a Sales Meeting ? E.g. Open/introduce, build rapport, uncover needs/problems, state solutions, state benefits, Objection handling, Closure.
- Dealing with Problem Client describe an example of where you handled a difficult client or problem. What did you learn from it? How would you do it differently. How do you handle it if someone doesnt like working with you.
- Explaining a Complex Issue or Technical Describe where you have explained a complex issue or technical issue clearly.
- Project Walk through Describe a project or walk through a typical piece of work. Articulate the different stages and what was the goal, benefits and result of the project.
- Social Media Research Tasks
- Prepare by
- LinkedIn Look at past and current employees of the company and where they have come from and what they do. Projects, skill areas etc. Research your interviewers name and leadership team of the Practice on LinkedIn.
- You Tube Search your potential employers name on You Tube. Look for their You Tube Channel. Subscribe for free and receive all their latest updates as and when prior to interview. Watch the current videos no other candidate will be.
- Twitter Follow the company Twitter account(s). See who is tweeting what and have an opinion on it.
- Facebook check t