out of 8
Post on 18-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONABC art Club Presentation
- 1. ABC Art Crazy Quilts
- 2. History Of Crazy Quilts
- Crazy quilts got their name from the haphazard design but many women spent hours designing the craziness.
- From 1876- 1910 all the rage in Victorian Society- made out of fine silks and velvet with lovely decorative stitches.
- Soon women without money for fine fabrics began to use remnants of old clothes or left over cloth and used the quilts for more practical uses.
- 3. Crazy Quilt Poem
- A Crazy Quilt
- They do not make them any more, For quilts are cheaper at the store Than woman's labor, though a wife Men think the cheapest thing in life. But now and then a quilt is spread Upon quaint old walnut bed, A crazy quilt of those days That I am old enough to praise.
- Some woman sewed these points and squares Into a pattern like life's cares. Here is a velvet that was strong, The poplin that she wore so long, A fragment from her daughter's dress,
- Like her, a vanished loveliness; Old patches of such things as these, Old garments and old memories.
- And what is life? A crazy quilt; Sorrow and joy, and grace and guilt, With here and there a square of blue For some old happiness we knew; And so the hand of time will take The fragments of our lives and make, Out of life's remnants, as they fall, A thing of beauty, after all.
- Douglas Malloch
- 4. Step One for Paper Crazy Quilt
- Paste center piece near the center of your base paper.
- 5. Step Two
- Work in a circle extending paper to cover edge of the previous strip.
- 6. Step Three
- Keep going around, trimming paper as needed.
- Cut pieces to size as needed
- 7. Step Four- Keep going
- Add pieces until all of the base is covered
- 8. Finish your quilt
- Turn paper over and trim edges with scissors
- Use sharpie marker to write name on back
- If you have extra time add stitching to your masterpiece.
View more >