criminal law 122 spring 2012 professor whitaker group 5: operation order
of 20 /20
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONIdentifying and Addressing the Gang Problem in the Virgin Islands
- Group 5: Operation Order University of the Virgin Islands CJU 122
- Definition of a gang Several indicators and risk factors Explanation of how the issue has affected the community Detailed analysis of the issue supported by research. A problem-oriented strategy to address the issue.
- Individuals who mingle with various likes and differences are considered gangs. Not all gangs are bad or violent. Gang violence refers to the violent acts that the gang commits towards other gangs or the general public. Gangs participate in many acts; some are fighting, robberies, and even murder.
- Group of three or more The group commits criminal activity. The group has at least a common name, sign, color or symbol (clothing). Unemployed or employed and have more money or possessions Staying out later than usual Carrying weapons
- HAND SIGNS Used to show allegiance to a specific gang.
- SYMBOLS & TATOOS Gangs use symbols to identify their gang. This gang is called Mara Salvatrucha, clique- Centrales.
- Graffiti are not all gang related. Links to gang (graffiti is an issue in the Virgin Islands) Identifies territory or turf Used to send messages.
- Gang activity such as drug/alcohol use, firearms Violence against family members or gang members Lack of alternative activities Poor school achievement Lack of respect for authority (parents, teachers, law enforcement officers) Theft Gang violence are affecting cultural & social events (jouvet, parade, village) Gangs are a problem for everyone.
- On January 9, 2012, two men were shot to death at Estate Grove Place on St. Croix. This incident occurred in a housing community known as Mutual Homes. Assailants were unknown. According to St. Croix Source, on January 28, 2012, a man was found dead at his Boetzberg home in St. Croix. No motive or details or the cause of death were made available.
- In St. Thomas, on February 6, 2012, two teenagers were shot multiple times in the Sugar Estate area. Also, on February 24, 2012, a 24 year old was found shot to death at the Paul M. Pearson Gardens Housing Community; two other men were wounded.
- A 20 year old inmate at the Golden Grove Correctional Facility was arrested in connection with an incident. H. K., allegedly struck a correction officer in the face with a chair and cut the officer in his hand with a shank while being taken to his prison cell following a court appearance . According to St. Croix Source he is one of three suspects arrested for an Aug 29 murder of a 25 yr. old..The murder was believed to be ongoing and gang related based of the indicator and gang involvement.Retrieved from:
- Jouvert was stopped when numerous fights broke out along the Jouvert route.
- A bill to crack down on gang members was approved Thursday by the Senates committees on Public Safety, Homeland Security and Justice, sending it on for further consideration. Police Commissioner Henry White Jr. said the bill is needed badly in order to track down gang.
- Prevention-Primary and secondaryInterventionSuppressionReentry
- Be a positive role mode. Do everything possible to involve your children in supervised, positive group activities. Praise your children for doing well/encouragement. Get to know your childrens friends and their parents. Set limits for your children, enforcing them. Do not allow your children to dress in gang style clothing, to practice gang hand signs, or to write gang graffiti on any surface, including their bodies.
- Identify at risk students and students who are already gang members. Encourage sports, drama, music, art, and positive activities. Do not allow anyone to wear gang clothing. Photograph and remove all graffiti from school grounds. Promote after school programs. Work with parents, counselors, School Resource Officers. Ensure that gang and drug prevention are part of the curricula. COMMUNICATE!!!!
- St. Croix Source. (V.I. Source Publication (2012) Inc. Addressing Community Gang Problems: APractical Guide (BJA, 1998)www.iir.com/nygc/PublicationLinks.htm#CAYG National Crime Prevention Council: Teens, Crime, and the Community www.ncpc.org/tcc NC Gang Investigators Association www.ncgangcops.orgTHE END