csa social sciences and arts & humanities databases laura karves october 2006
out of 26
Post on 25-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- CSA Social Sciences and Arts & Humanities Databases Laura Karves October 2006
- Slide 2
- CSA has 4 subject areas Social Sciences Arts & Humanities Natural Sciences Technology
- Slide 3
- Social Sciences
- Slide 4
- CSA Social Sciences Communication Abstracts Criminal Justice Abstracts PAIS International Sociological Abstracts +Social Services Abstracts WorldWide Political Abstracts Institute of Management International Database AgeLine ASSIA: Applied Social Sciences EconLit ERIC IBSS: International Index Islamicus PsycInfo PsycARTICLES PsycBooks
- Slide 5
- Communication Abstracts Abstracts & indexes database published by SAGE. In addition to Communication Studies the database covers international literature in film studies, the role of technology in human communications, risk communication, crisis communication, and public policy. It includes journal articles, reports, papers, and books. 45,000 total records abnd backfiles up to 1977. Bimonthly updated.
- Slide 6
- Criminal Justice Abstracts Abstracts database published by SAGE. It covers crime trends, crime prevention and deterrence, juvenile delinquency, juvenile justice, police, courts, punishment, and sentencing. Comprehensive coverage of international journals, books, reports, dissertations, and unpublished papers on criminology. Also indexes and summaries of international journal articles, books and governmental and non-governmental reports. Total of 80,000 records, with backfiles up to 1968.
- Slide 7
- Sociological Abstracts + Social Services Abstracts CSA:s largest sociology database, which includes more than 750,000 abstracts Includes references and citations on over 3,000 journals, conference papers, books, book reviews and dissertations Backfiles from 1952! Includes own thesaurus
- Slide 8
- CSA Sociological databases + ProQuest full-text journals 139 full-text titles; 161,000 full-text documents ONLY 19 embargoed for up to 1 year 93% (129 titles) are refereed; 66% (92 titles) have ISI impact factors Deep archive dating as far back as 1922. Weekly updating!
- Slide 9
- ASSIA: Applied Social Sciences Indexes & Abstracts A comprehensive source of social science and health information for the practical and academic professional. Covers health, social services, psychology, sociology, economics, politics, race relations and education. ASSIA currently contains over 375,000 records from over 500 journals published in 16 different countries, including the UK and US. Updated monthly.
- Slide 10
- AgeLine A bibliographic database covering social gerontology the study of aging in social, psychological, health-related, and economic contest. Includes over 76,000 records from Journals, magazines, aging-related dissertations and deiscriptions of videos. Backfiles up to 1978.
- Slide 11
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts Provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in: political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration / policy.
- Slide 12
- CSA Political database + ProQuest full-text journals 131 full-text titles; 143,600 full-text documents ONLY 25 embargoed for up to 1 year 87% (129 titles) are refereed; 50% (65 titles) have ISI impact factors Deep archive dating as far back as 1922 Weekly updating!
- Slide 13
- PAIS International Main focus on Public Affairs in an international perspective. Subjects covered: Child labour, Citizen militia, Cyber Cops, Disaster Relief, Ethnic Cleansing, Free Speech, Genetic Engineering, Globalization, Gun Control, Internet, Political Correctness, Street Children, Virtual reality, Weapon Stockpiles etc. etc. etc. Includes publications from over 120 countries
- Slide 14
- Index Islamicus The database indexes literature on Islam, the Middle East and the Muslim World. It does not only write only about the Middle East but also about Asia and Africa and Muslin minorities elsewhere. It includes more than 2,000 journals, conference proceedings, monographs, book reviews and multi-authored works. More than 292,000 records and it is updated with about 12,000 records a year. Backfiles up to 1906!
- Slide 15
- PsycInfo Electronic bibliographic database Covers ~2,000 journals, 2,300+ books a year, dissertations 2.2 million records as far back as 1806 Multidisciplinary coverage Scholarly content onlyvery international in scope >15 million cited references
- Slide 16
- PsycARTICLES Provides full-text articles from 48 journals published by the American Psychological Association (APA). Coverage starts with 1985. More than 41,000 articles as of January 2005 Linking to CSA databases PsycInfo and PsycBooks. Updated weekly.
- Slide 17
- PsycBOOKS Another APA database, but instead of journal articles, it includes books and chapters of APA published books. Includes about 750 titles, including 100 out-of-print books from 1950 2002. The database offers 120 archival resources in psychology, and the exclusive electronic release of the APA/Oxford University press Encyclopedia of Psychology.
- Slide 18
- SAGE Full-text journals Communication Studies 17 journals, 5,000+ full-text articles and 23 years backfiles Criminology 21 journals, 5,000+ full-text articles and 23 years backfiles Education *NEW 23 journals, 7,000+ full-text articles and 36 years backfiles Political Sciences 23 journals, 9,000+ full-text articles and 23 years backfiles Sociology 31 journals, 12,000+ full-text articles and 23 years backfiles
- Slide 19
- SAGE Full-text journals Management & Organisation Studies *NEW 36 journals, 10,000+ full-text articles and 57 years backfiles Material Science *NEW 15 journals, 5,300+ full-text articles and 10 years backfiles Nursing & Health Studies *NEW 23 journals, 6,000+ full-text articles and 23 years backfiles Psychology *NEW 31 journals, 18,000+ full-text articles and 35 years backfiles Urban Studies *NEW 24 journals, 6,000+ full-text articles and 23 years backfiles
- Slide 20
- Arts & Humanities
- Slide 21
- Arts ArtBibliographies Modern DAAI: Design and Applied Arts Index BHA: Bibliography of the History of Arts Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
- Slide 22
- Humanities LLBA: Linguistics and Language Behaviour Abstracts LISA: Library and Information Science Abstracts ATLA Religion Database BHI: British Humanities Index New! MLA International Bibliography New! The Philosopher's Index New! RILM Abstracts of Music Literature
- Slide 23
- BHA Bibliography of the History of Arts Western art history from the fourth century onwards, with a primary focus on traditional art media, as well as in-depth coverage of archaeology and architecture. Contains 650,000 records, with 24,000 records added per year. Covers journals, books, catalogues, dissertations, conference papers and other media. It has both French and English index terms and abstracts. International in both coverage and scope.
- Slide 24
- MLA International Bibliography Published by the Modern Language Association MLA is a subject index for books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. It includes more than 4,000 periodicals and 1,000 book publishers. Very international coverage: records also in Swedish, Norwegian, German, Russian.
- Slide 25
- Philosophers Index A bibliographic database with informative, author-written abstracts covering scholarly research in all areas of Philosophy. Covers over 5,000 journals and book chapters, from more than 40 countries.
- Slide 26
- Too Much, Too Fast? Questions and trials: email@example.com
View more >