curation and crowdsourcing for journalists
out of 43
Post on 30-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONTips and tools for tapping into your readership via crowdsourcing and publishing their contributions via curation.
- Tap Into the CrowdCrowdsourcing & Curation of Social Media Mandy Jenkins @mjenkins #NOHSoc May 2012
- What is Crowdsourcing? When you call on your readers/followers to contribute to a story Calls for content, news 7ps and story sources Can be breaking or long-term Involve a li?le or a lot of informa7on
- Before CrowdsourcingBuild engaged community (follow people, converse with them) Build Twi?er lists of key sources for breaking situa7ons Plan ahead when you can, have a plan for when you cant Include crowdsourcing in story-planning
- During Breaking News Open keyword searches Monitor key Twi?er lists Have reporter or news org start twee7ng live to get and share info
- Find Sources Fast
- Breaking News CrowdsourcingSay what you know Say what you dont know Say what you want/need to know Dont spread rumors Vet sources & informa7on Ask ques7ons as you gather info RT with context, note if its veried
- Search.Twitter.Com/advanced Search by keywords, loca7on, 7me Search quickly - before the stream is taken over by reac7on
- Search venues on Foursquare.com Mayor is great source for info about a business or venue (employee or regular customer)
- Search Nearby With Ban.Jo
- Crowdsourcing Everyday
- Google DocsGathering info using FormsGet resultsResults flow into a shareable spreadsheet
- Crowdsourced map: Google Maps
- CrowdmappingFree, fast and reader-friendly
- All Our IdeasFeature Example - TBDNews Example - HuffPost
- Ask Everywhere Print callouts (Tell Us Your Story) Social media promo7on (reporter and papers accounts) Embeds into online stories Word-of-mouth, IRL on the beat
- Beware B.S.
- Check the persons credibility Check when account was created. How frequent are updates? Do they have a photo? Do they have friends/followers? Do they follow? Check bio, links Check Klout score Google name and scam, spammer Contact & interview
- Follow up on the tip Ask for a phone number and call the person. Ask if they witnessed first-hand or heard about it. Ask exactly what they witnessed, how they saw it and when. Ask who else may have the same info.
- Check credibility of the info Check earlier tweets/updates: Anything leading up to the tip that makes sense? Do follow up tweets/updates make sense in context? Does it read authentically? Misspellings, bad grammar, typos can also be a sign of a real person. Corroborate the info
- What is curation?(n) The act of organizing and maintaining a collec7on of media and informa7on around a par7cular subject or area.
- Curate Via Your Social Feeds Share relevant info and links from you and others RT others tweets on the subject (pending verification)
- Social Bookmarking
- Publish from Curation Storify.com
- Storify Can pull in tweets, public Facebook comments, photos from Flickr & Instragram Pulls in video from Youtube or via some embeds Embeds story previews with links Can import other Storifys (or parts of them)
- Use the Storify Plugin Easiest way to save specific tweets and Facebook updates Save specific passages to Storify Save stuff for later, for research All things saved go to your Storypad
- Curate Using TimelinesDipity.com
- Curate Using TimelinesTimeline.verite.co
- More curation toolsTwi?ers Tweet embed feature Chirpstory QuoteURL.com
- THANKS! Mandy Jenkinsmjenkins@digitalfirstmedia.com @mjenkins Blog: Zombiejournalism.com These slides & more at slideshare.net/mandyjenkins
- Step-by-Step Guide to Storifying Via Deb Petersen, San Jose Mercury News
- Getting Started- Go to Storify.com- Create an account. It is easiest to link it toyour Twitter account.- Create a profile with your photo and adescription of your position/beat at thenewspaper.- Pick a topic and get started
- Hit "Create Story" to reach this opening page.The searchable content is on the right, and yourstory is on the left.
- Type the main headline in the top box on the leftsection, and then type a short story descriptionin the next box.
- You want your first slide to be a photo becausethis image will appear as its cover. Here, Iclicked on the Twitter logo, and "images.
- Pick a photo by clicking on it, and then hold anddrag to your story on the left. The cutline of thephoto will come along too.
- Add each entry by searching the sponsoredproviders and dragging your selections to yourstory.
- Done? Hit the "Publish" button pictured below inblue. (Next to the save now" button which youshould be clicking as you work your draft)
- Your page will look like this. Notice to theright of the headline, the "embed" button.Click on that.
- Your embed code will appear in a box. Then,click on the Notify" button to the right of thepublished button.
- This is how the cover of your stories appear inStorify. It also tracks the total number of views.
View more >
Journalists’ Safety Indicators: International Level - ?· Journalists’ Safety Indicators: International…
Greek Journalists acting as Interpreters of Journalists as...Greek Journalists acting as Interpreters…
GeoCrowd: Enabling Query Answering with Spatial Crowdsourcing crowdsourcing. 2.1 Spatial Crowdsourcing
Crowdsourcing: Challenges and echeng/di/papers/Crowdsourcing...آ Crowdsourcing Definition Coordinating