customizing apache cloudstack - ccc13
out of 18
Post on 18-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONCustomizing Apache CloudStack - CCC13 Slide for CCC13 Talk on Creating your own ACS release to enhance Vmware vSphere support in Apache CloudStack 4.1
- 1. VMware vSphere Support Overview Customized Version of Apache CloudStack CloudStack Usage Tracking Plugin email@example.com www.linkedin.com/in/serverchief
- 2. # whoami ACS Contributor, Committer and Release Manager for 4.1.x Systems and Cloud Architect @ WebMD Cloud, Virtualization, Automation and Everything Linux Founder of CloudSand.com o ACS Development o Enterprise friendly custom ACS Releases o OS Templates (coming soon) o ACS Virtual Appliances (coming soon) o Join US! firstname.lastname@example.org www.linkedin.com/in/serverchief
- 3. About ACS CloudSand Release Bridge the time release gap between ACS stable and master Back port least impacting useful features and bug fixes Upgradable to next stable ACS release Source code and RPMs www.github.com/serverchief/cloudsand www.cloudsand.com/content/repo/centos/6/x86_64
- 4. Vendor V.S. Customer Which one is the customer? It depends.
- 5. Why vSphere and Apache CloudStack? Existing investment into hardware and virtualization technology (AKA 3 Year Headlock) Largest Virtualization Market Share (Gartner 2012) It works well Rapid migration to alternative virtualization technology maybe costly for enterprise customers
- 6. Customer VS Vendor (with Apache CloudStacks help) Source: http://www.luminepixels.com/
- 7. Traditional Enterprise Objectives Long Term Objectives: Build Hybrid Auto-Scalable Magical Cloud Short Term Objectives: Learn Cloud Concepts Re-use Existing Infrastructure Keep cost at minimum
- 8. Current ACS Support for vSphere 5.x As of latest stable ACS 4.1.x Lack of important features: Virtual Distributed Switch Support Linked Cloned VS Full Clone Support Append of VM Name in vCenter DRS and HA Support Better VMware Synchronization All features above are available in master git branch! Features have been backported to ACS CloudSand RC1
- 9. Option 1: Wait for official ACS Release
- 10. Option 2: Do it yourself Get over the fear of rolling your own Apache CloudStack versions Review Functional Specification of developed feature posted on Wiki and note the CloudStack Issue ID Backport minimally impacting and most useful features and bug fixes only Thoroughly review the changes on review board / git to see if there are no missing dependencies Build, test, debug, test and test again!
- 11. Basic Requirements CentOS 6.x or Debian GIT Version Control Knowledge Minimal Java Knowledge General Programming Concepts Use DevCloud Guide or clone CloudStack git repo and follow instructions in Install.md file
- 12. Example Back-porting feature User Provided VM Name to be Visible in Hypervisor Functional Specification Doc: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Allo w+user+provided+internal+VM+name+on+hypervisor+for+guest +VMs Jira Issue/Ticket ID: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-778 Apache Web Git: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git
- 13. Functional Specs
- 14. Jira Issue Details
- 15. Apache Git Finding Proper Patch Search feature on the top right is very helpful
- 16. Review the Patch
- 17. Apply the Patch Create a new branch in your local git ACS clone git checkout b CLOUDSTACK-778 Download patch file from git and apply to your local git clone git apply --stat cloudstack-778.patch git apply --check cloudstack-778.patch git apply cloudstack-778.patch If patch does not apply cleanly, use VI or IDE and manually copy and paste the code Build, test, debug, test and test again.
- 18. Useful Plugins to ACS Demo of Usage Tracking / Charge Back module by Amysta Disclaimer: Im not affiliated with Amysta. I do not have any financial interests with promoting this product.
View more >
(powered by Apache CloudStack) Version 4.5 Citrix ... CloudPlatform (powered by Apache CloudStack) Version…
CloudStack Developer's Guide Apache CloudStack 4.1 CloudStack 4.1.1 CloudStack Developer's Guide Edition…
Building Clouds on Apache CloudStack: An Introduction ?· Building Clouds on Apache CloudStack: An Introduction…
CloudStack Developer's Guide - Apache Software ?· CloudStack Developer's Guide iv 6. Working With Usage…