Post on 11-Jan-2017
Embed Size (px)
CYBERATTACK in estonia
CYBERATTACK in estoniaVan Speybroeck Maxime
TABLE OF CONTENTS1. REASON OF THE ATTACKS2. WHAT HAPPENED ?3. WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE?4. REPERCUSSIONS5. WHAT ABOUT THE FILM?
1. REASON OF THE ATTACKS27April 2007Relocation of the Bronze Soldier of Tallinn
1. REASON OF THE ATTACKSIt caused violent riots in Tallinn1death and 44 injured
2. WHAT HAPPENED ?Cyberattacks against EstoniaMany important websites were downDos attacks
DOS ATTACK Denial of service attackPut a network or a service downZombies
ESTONIA IN TERMS OF COMPUTINGMost connected European country80% of banking transactions are made online
3. WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE?Estonia accused RussiaSeptember 6 : No proofRequests came from everywhere in the worldThis is political. Merit KopliApril 30 : Estonian minister of justice declaration
KONSTANTIN GOLOSKOKOVPart a the russian group NashiWas a part of the attacksWorked without any Russian authorities help
4. REPERCUSSIONS3weeks of chaosNOTA reacted Estonian reactionsSecond largest instace of state-sponsored cyberwarfareCyberinvestigations usually end at a compromised computer in a third country on which the logs have been deleted
TITAN RAINCyberattacks against America2003Lasted 3years
5. WHAT ABOUT THE FILM?As we put more and more of our lives on the Web, were becoming more and more vulnerable to the bad elements, to the networks of hate and to the darker uses of the Web.
If you take down the newspapers, you dont know whats going on in the country. If you take down the banks, the economic activity is paralysed. And if youre an Estonian businessman in Paris and you need to contact your bank over the Internet to get some funds out, you couldnt.
All you have to do is pick up the newspaper, and wherever you see there is conflict in the real world, there is conflict in cyberspace.
At the moment, a quarter of the planet is connected, but I wonder what will happen when the remaining 75% comes online. Will the web help us to achieve greater global understanding, or will we face new dangers that we never even imagined?
Thank you for your attention!