designing with vision
out of 61
Post on 17-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- Designing with Vision Dave Cortright Interaction Designer
- I am a designer.
- However, I am not just a designer.
- I am a problem solver.
- solution problem
- solution problem
- problem solution
- problem solution The best thing you can do for any project: Separate the problem from the solution. Or said another way
- First define the problem, Then design a solution.
- The Money Slide First define the problem, Then design a solution. If you walk away with nothing else from these slides, remember this.
- Defining the problem is the most important task for any project.
- Defining the problem is more important than designing a solution.
- If I had 20 days to solve a problem, I would take 19 days to define it. Albert Einstein
- Imagine taking a vacation.
- Would you get in your car and just start driving?
- If you did, youd eventually look up & find yourself here.
- If you dont know where youre going, how will you know when you arrive?
- The same is true for any design project.
- Great design doesnt matter if youre solving the wrong problem.
- A vision statement defines the problem.
- What makes a great vision?
- Focus on people.
- Give people what they want.
- People want outcomes.
- People do not want: tools artifacts features technology cool new
- People do not want a hammer.
- A hammer is just one of many possible ways to achieve the desired outcome.
- Dont jump to solutions in the vision. There will be time for that during design.
- The final component of a great vision
- Order the items in a stack-ranked list.
- Not everything can be top priority.
- 1. Secure your own oxygen mask. 2. Assist others.
- Sadly, if it came down to it 1. Secure your own oxygen mask. 2. Assist others.
- So, a great vision is Focused on people Defined by outcomes they want Ordered in a stack-ranked list
- 38 slides on product vision. What about design?
- Great vision leads to great design.
- Great design embodies the essence of the vision.
- From a well-crafted vision, the design simply, falls out.
- If this is the space of all possible design solutions
- then every constraint you add
- to your vision
- further reduces the design space
- until you are left with..
- A very manageable design space.
- Its a space, not a point; There are multiple design solutions.
- But any design solution within this space is sufficient.
- And since the space is so small, finding a design solution is easy.
- And since the space is so small, finding a design solution is easy. > relatively
- Keep your design simple.
- Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. Albert Einstein
- Simplify 1. The simplest way to achieve simplicity is through thoughtful reduction. 10. Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious, and adding the meaningful. The Laws of Simplicity by John Maeda
- When in doubt, leave it out.
- Justify every pixel.
- Justify every interaction.
- A great vision is Focused on people Defined by outcomes they want Ordered in a stack-ranked list and it leads to
- A great design, which... Embodies the visions essence Is as simple as possible In summary, and suitable for printing
- define the problem Great vision Focused on people Defined by outcomes they want Ordered in a stack-ranked list Great design design a solution Embodies the visions essence As simple as possible Dave Cortright http://davecortright.com firstname.lastname@example.org
View more >