Digital Badges: Is time to go beyond open educational resources
out of 63
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThe culture of open should not be limited to the possibility of access, adapt and share resources. It also opens the possibility to diversify the sources of knowledge acquisition but also novel mechanisms to recognize new learning developed within but also outside of the formal educational settings. Open educational assessment is a matter to be created. The discussion about Open Educational Resources need to embrace other Open Educational Practices where 'digital badges' is definitely a work-in-progress to take into account. Digital Badges well implemented can be a relevant bridge between education and the world of work. This presentation is a mix between several sources (see references).
- A'%20(2^a&'+>N*0j*0%*EE2&%',-P:,&2"^-'82"P*E2"&'=:)("&2(2&126"+3")32&3R" LLLYd'%8&Y%*EM;:*)*(M-*12;*),=2MOieiTSTSfTM('b2(MbM'0M;:*)*()&2,EM" LLLYL-1Y,%Y>8M-'+M(8'--(m4*&m-2,&0'0=M;,((;*&)Y,(;#" @OpenBadges @skillshare @Codecademy @_BadgeMaker embracing outcomes- driven learning design
- DEPARTMENT FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY-ASSISTED LIFELONG LEARNING
- DEPARTMENT FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY-ASSISTED LIFELONG LEARNING http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED091983.pdf
- Page 3
- DEPARTMENT FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY-ASSISTED LIFELONG LEARNING The biggest rise in tertiary education ever seen a 160% increase in global enrolment from 1990 to 2009 is testament to unprecedented demand for education as students seek to prepare themselves for nonmanual work. Rt. Hon. Gordon Brown United Nations Special Envoy for Global Education
- Paradox: Higher education providers are producing more graduates than ever before. Although high percentages of youth are unemployed, employers report a shortage of qualified candidates who possess critical job skills. Learners are unaware of which skills are required to secure the jobs they have targeted. Employers find it difficult to communicate their needs to education providers. Better alignment is needed between postsecondary programs with labor market.
- Students live in worlds filled with engaging technology and opportunities to pursue personal interests and motivations. Once they enter schools they have to leave behind such interests and motivations. This creates a divide between the way schools teach and the way students learn in informal learning environments. Teachers are nowadays facing a challenge trying to bridge this gap. ITEC project (2013) - Summary report of scenario development process
- Education vs Learning Slide made by David White @daveowhite
- ^>=E20)26"U" !"#$$%&'()*+,-%&+.(/010,/"&2(/3&0,#"+& 4,5,#0,-$6&/,'(/",--&/,'()*+,-& 870,/7#$&9$(:&-;++,";7#0;(7& ((:$,5$,?@&,7A;/(7",70&'(/&-;+)*));(7& B5,7&)#',0,/;#&& CD/;)&!).";-0E&
- ^>=E20)26"O" !"#$%&'()*+,+(-+"-#+(*.$+(/",+(.01"&"/2(3"( ( if it doesn't spread its dead
- ,>=E20)26" augmented learning P22-3"C&*L0@"c*>=-,("]:*E,(@"^"j2L"K>-)>&2"*4"A2,&0'0=" "
- DEPARTMENT FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY-ASSISTED LIFELONG LEARNING Credibility digital currency Slide made by David White @daveowhite
- Provenance Author Expertise Format Citations
- Google ranking Likes Followers Comments Views
- Provenance Author Expertise Format Citations Google ranking Likes Followers Comments Views by David White @daveowhite
- The Web as a two-way street Freeresourcesandcourses New forms of accreditation by David White @daveowhite
- %*0(),0)-3" ()**+($+!' :a;MMd'%8&Y%*EM;:*)*(M%&,(:X%,063MOU!f!U[[efM" +3"$E+2&&3" g,--",0'E,-(",&2"2h>,-".+>)"(*E2",0'E,-(",&2"E*&2"2h>,-"):,0"*):2&(7Z"
- DIGITAL BADGES: Recognize skills and achievements. A 'gamified' achievement based mechanism (visbility and flexibility). :a;MM6*>=+2-(:,LY%*EM;&2(20),N*0(MO[ROM2(8'--(M'062#Y:)E-oM"
- Since their inception, colleges have awarded diplomas that signify the successful completion of degree programs (essentially a collection of badges')
- BadgesAre visualrepresentationsof21st century skills and achievements - Open Badges Initiative of the Mozilla Foundation https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges/About
- badges, buttons, patches, pins, ribbons,medals,etc
- BadgesAre a validated indicator of accomplishment, skill, quality or interest that can be earned in [diverse] learning environments - Macarthur Foundation on behalf of Digital Media + Learning Digital Badges for Life Competition http://www.macfound.org/media/files/BadgesforLifelongLearning_Info.pdf
- badges = visual representations of a skill or achievement
- need a way to recognize learning regardless of where or how it occurs (including new or informal pathways)
- need a way to capture all types of learning (including new or innovative types)
- Alternative and flexible credentials that substitute traditional degree or certificate, composed of demonstrated outcomes /validated competencies that are tailored to the desired output from a variety of learning contexts. Badges provide a reputation frameworks for peer validation. Capture technical skills along the path of program completion. Documentastudentsability to use a piece of equipment. Demonstrate knowledge of a particular topic. Badges are becoming the currency that provides verified, specific information from trusted sources about the skills, competencies and knowledge.
- Badging Lessons Learned Clear criteria (announced or not) Visible evidence Verification Badge
- Produce an open technical standard for any organization to create, issue, manage and verify digital badges
- For employers and advanced education providers, the common language of outcomes, competencies and skills articulated through badges
- some are just for fun or social status
- more and more, we see badges representing achievements on the web
- Khan Academy - http://www.khanacademy.org/badges FourSquare - http://www.4squarebadges.com/foursquare-badge-list/ BadgeStack - http://badgestack.com/ TripAdvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ Mozilla Open Badges - http://openbadges.org Stackoverflow - http://stackoverflow.com/badges Wikipedia Barnstars - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Barnstars With the exception of Mozilla Open Badges (and derivatives), all these issuers are siloed. Though most of them provide methods to accessearnedbadgesthroughsoftware(orAPIs).
- issuers displayers
- Conclusions: - Openness goes far beyond OER (OEP) - Higher Education institutions lost their monopoly of certication. - College faculty will resist badges initially (+ challenge examining & dening the marketable job skills) & competency-based outcomes
- 21ST CENTURY SKILLS ARE NOT (EXCLUSIVELY) FROM THE 21ST SKILLS
- COMMON SET OF (FUNCTIONAL BUT ALSO SOFT) SKILLS NEED TO BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED
- TECHNOLOGIES AS AN ACCELERATOR FOR CHANGING (NOT AS A DRIVER)
- SPACE AND TIME BECOME SOFT CONCEPTS THOUGHT PROVOKING ENVIRONMENTS AMBIENTS CAN BOOST INNOVATION
- LIFELONG LEARNING IS NECESSARY INTERTWINED WITH THE ADOPTION OF OER AND MORE FLEXIBLE TOOLS OF SKILLS RECOGNITION
- !""#$%&'()')*" ,>=E20)26"-2,&0'0=" 4*&E,-X'04*&E,-" *0-'02X*p'02" (8'--(",((2((E20)" ;2&E,020)"E*+'-')3" &2%*=0'N*0"F*>);>)("J" " "
- &242&20%2(" q'E"K*W0*Y"FO[R[@"^;&'-"!JY",-+'./0$'1+*$234'5+%3*+3Y"B2)&'2126"4&*E":a;MM LLLY(-'62(:,&2Y02)ME(%*W0*M):2XOR()X%20)>&3X-2,&02&l4&*Em(2,&%:nR" r,'6"^-(,=*`Y"FO[[S@"-3"R[JY"60"*#'+75+%3*"*#',)'8%("&"$%$+'./0$'1+*$234'5+%3*"*#Y" ]2%:0*-*=3Y"B2)&'2126"4&*E":a;MMLLLY(-'62(:,&2Y02)Mb,'6M>('0=X2-2,&0'0=X)*X 4,%'-'),)2XOR()X%20)>&3X-2,&0'0=l4&*Em(2,&%:nU"
- Doug Belshaw. (10:53:18 UTC). Moving into uncharted waters: are open badges the future for skills... Technology. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/dajbelshaw/moving-into-uncharted-waters-are-open-badges-the- future-for-skills-accreditation?from_search=1 Doug Belshaw. (16:07:32 UTC). Mozilla Open Badges (#epic12). Technology. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/dajbelshaw/mozilla-open-badges-epic12?from_search=2 ACSASummit. (22:50:40 UTC). Launching digital badges to motivate 21st century learners. Technology. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/ACSASummit/launching-digital-badges-to-motivate-21st-century-learners- 28217469?from_search=3 Kelvin Thompson. (16:57:25 UTC). Exploring the potential of badging: Badges = engagement + data. Business & Mgmt. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/drkelvinthompson/exploring-the-potential-of-badging-badges- engagement-data?from_search=5 Peter Rawsthorne. (06:45:02 UTC). Introduction to Digital Badges. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/prawsthorne/introduction-to-digital-badges?from_search=8 Lisa Dawley. (15:50:00 UTC). Digital Badges: Lessons Learned. Technology. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/lisadawley/designing-badges-lessons-learned?from_search=10
- http://goo.gl/qqPAE1 The world What can/should citizens demand of the higher education sector in the Web era? Define some realistic expectations. Teaching and learning Which areas of our teaching and learning practice do we need to change to respond to the opportunities of the Web? Describe some pragmatic responses that institutions could start to implement. Research Which areas where the Web and higher education meet need to be better understood (and why)? Formulate some draft research questions.
View more >