Education for Digital Natives
Post on 22-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Education for Digital Natives Presented by Margaret Glover-Campbell & Caitlin Walton MindFuel
- 2. What is the heaviest ship ever built?
- 3. Technology Today How many Internet-ready devices are in this room? Who has used a mobile device today?By age eight, 96% of children have watched TV, 90% have used a computer, 81% have played console video games, and 60% have played games or used apps on a portable device (cell phone, handheld gaming system, iPod, or tablet). (Common Sense Media, 2015)
- 4. Digital Native digital native noun 1.a person born or brought up during the age of digital technology and therefore familiar with computers and the Internet from an early age. 2."the digital tools that are reshaping our economy make more sense to young digital natives than to members of older generations"
- 5. How Digital Natives Learn Learning at high speeds Making random connections Processing visual and dynamic information Discovery-based learning that allows them to explore and to actively test their ideas and create knowledge (Bennett et al., 2009)
- 6. Wonderville: Educational Technology
- 7. From Tech to the Table 5 minute Design Challenge: Construct a vessel to carry the heaviest load in a body of water Use only the materials provided Work in small groups Test and re-design if you can!
- 8. Why do learners like technology? Preference for interactivity (Prensky, 2003) Rapid engagement tool (a quick hook) Relatable medium
- 9. Why do educators like technology? Rapid engagement tool Opportunity for differentiated instruction Bridges the gap between digital natives and digital immigrants
- 10. Q&A Thank You! Margaret Glover-Campbell Director, Programs at MindFuel firstname.lastname@example.org Caitlin Walton Program Manager at MindFuel email@example.com
View more >
Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants - Marc Prensky - Digital Natives...Marc Prensky Digital Natives Digital Immigrants 2001 Marc Prensky _____ 1