engaging virtual communities: web 2.0
out of 29
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSlides from talk on "Engaging Virtual Communities: Web 2.0" given at CILIP CDG conference on 30 April 2007. See http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/conferences/cilip-cdg-2007-04/
- 1. Engaging Virtual Communities: Web 2.0 Brian Kelly, UKOLN, University of Bath Bath Email [email_address] UKOLN is supported by: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/conferences/cilip-cdg-2007-04/ About This Session This session will provide an introduction to Wikis, showing how Wikipedia can be used to promote your college and, having learnt about Wiki concepts, how Wikis can be used in e-learning This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 licence (but note caveat) Resources bookmarked using cilip-cdg-2007-04 ' tag
- 2. About Me
- Brian Kelly:
- UK Web Focus: a national Web advisory post
- Based at UKOLN, a national centre of expertise in digital information management
- Located at the University of Bath
- Funded by MLA and JISC
- Involved in Web since Jan 1993
- Currently advising on best practices for Web 2.0
- 3. About You
- How many of you have heard of Web 2.0?
- How many of you have read content in a blog or wiki?
- How many of you publish a blog or have updated content in a wiki?
- How many have used MSN Messenger, Skype, ?
- What do you hope to gain from this session?
- 4. Contents
- Web 2.0 What Is It? (Talking )
- Blogs Wikis
- RSS Mashups
- Microformats Comms tools
- Social networks
- Deployment Strategies ( doing)
- User focus
- Information literacy; staff development
- Risk assessment
- Safe experimentation
- 5. Lets Do It Now!
- Lets not just talk about Web 2.0 lets use it now (assuming WiFi network available!):
- Lets Talk
- Go to http://www.gabbly.com/ and in box enter www.cilip.org.uk/
- Lets Share Resources
- Go to to access resources
- 6. Web 2.0
- What Is Web 2.0?
- Marketing term (derived from observing 'patterns') rather than technical standards - an attitude not a technology
- Characteristics Of Web 2.0
- Network as platform
- Always beta
- Clean URIs
- Remix and mash-ups
- Syndication (RSS)
- Architecture of participation
- Blogs & Wikis
- Social networking
- Social tagging (folksonomies)
- Trust and openness
- 7. Blogs
- The term blog is well-known, but perhaps theres a lack of awareness of the potential of blogs. Theres a need to:
- Explore how blogs can support business functions (support users, staff & organisation)
- Theres also a need for information professionals to:
- Understand blogging & related technologies (e.g. RSS, Technorati)
- Be able to find resources in the 'Blogosphere'
- 8. Blogs & Marketing
- What happens:
- Youve done some great research (not quite a cure for cancer!)
- You write a press release (job done?)
- Who is linking to & talking about this research (are they disagreeing?)
- The Nourishing Balance blog has commented on this (Thats great or are they misinterpreting the findings?)
- 9. Blogs - Reading
- How do you keep informed of developments?
- Do you use a dedicated blog reader?
- Are you alerted of changes to key blogs?
- Do you focus on the content, and avoid the distractions of ads, etc.
- 10. Blogs Engaging With Users
- The ukwebfocus.wordpress. com blog provides:
- Comments option for all postings
- A realtime chat facility
- Feedback on my thoughts and ideas
- 11. What Are They Saying About Us?
- Blogs are very interconnected with each other (bloggers discuss others blog postings).
- This can help to provide feedback; measure impact; engage in discussions; etc.
- You can also monitor what they are saying about your Web site.
- 12. Finding Resources
- Technorati can help find blog articles, RSS feeds, etc.
- Technorati search for SHERPA JISC " finds:
- 11 blog posting postings, most recent 196 day ago (nothing new since then?)
- 13. Social Networking Software (1)
- But what if:
- Students arent interested in university-provided blogging services?
- Students use commercial social networking services such as Facebook?
- Should we:
- Make use of these environments (save money by not reinventing wheels)
- Inform students on integration of our information?
- 14. Social Networking Software (2)
- What are they saying about your institution in social networking services, on blogs, ?
- Do you (and your departments) provide business intelligence services to find out what your users are saying about you?
- Do you have policies on rebuttal?
- 15. Wikis
- Wikis collaborative Web-based authori
View more >