english language proficiency standards (elps) for english language learners (ells) pennsylvania...
out of 25
Post on 23-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) for English Language Learners (ELLs) Pennsylvania Department of Education Bureau of Teaching Learning and Support Presented by: Barbara Mowrey ESL/Bilingual Education Advisor Lynore Carnuccio Consultant
- Slide 3
- With Special Thanks To: Lynore Carnuccio Lead Developer
- Slide 4
- And The Standards Development Team
- Slide 5
- GOALS TO UNDERSTAND THE: Need for Standards for ELLs Use of Standards for ELLs Connection to PA Academic Standards Connection to content area instruction and assessment Use of Standards for ESL instruction and assessment
- Slide 6
- Where Weve Been TESOL ESL Standards for PreK-12 Students (1997) Guide to Levels of Communicative Competence in English 2000 Alignment of Standards 2000
- Slide 7
- Why do we need Standards for ELLs? Assist students to meet PA Academic Standards based on their English language proficiency level Guidance for content and ESL/Bilingual teachers Required by Section 3113 of Title III, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act as reauthorized by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB), 20 U.S.C.6823(b)(2).
- Slide 8
- What is the purpose of Standards for ELLs? To identify appropriate skill-based performance goals based on English proficiency levels of individual students To complement and align with existing PA Academic Standards To provide appropriate, reliable and valid expectations for students across the curriculum
- Slide 9
- What Standards ARE NOT: A placement tool for English language learners A stand alone exit instrument A replacement for existing PA Academic Standards
- Slide 10
- How were the Standards developed? WIDA framework Consultant Committee PDE Curriculum Advisors External review Internal review, review, review
- Slide 11
- English language learners communicate in English for SOCIAL AND INSTRUCTIONAL purposes within the school setting. English Language Proficiency Standard 1
- Slide 12
- English language learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of LANGUAGE ARTS. English Language Proficiency Standard 2
- Slide 13
- English Language Proficiency Standard 3 English language learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of MATHEMATICS.
- Slide 14
- English Language Proficiency Standard 4 English language learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of SCIENCE.
- Slide 15
- English Language Proficiency Standard 5 English language learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of SOCIAL STUDIES.
- Slide 16
- LAYOUT AND DESIGN Matrix 5 English language proficiency levels Model performance indicators (MPI) MPI is a sample of what an ELL should know and be able to do at a given level Focus on language skill
- Slide 17
- Matrix Understanding the Standard Matrix
- Slide 18
- Understanding the Model Performance Indicator
- Slide 19
- English Language Proficiency Standards for Content Areas Social and Instructional (ESL) (draft) Language Arts (draft) Mathematics (draft) Science (to be developed) Social Studies (to be developed)
- Slide 20
- Teacher Expectations To provide students with limited English proficiency the opportunity to meet PA Academic Standards To provide meaningful and comprehensible content and assessment for students to be successful
- Slide 21
- Student Expectations Progress with English language proficiency while meeting PA Academic Standards. Have meaningful access to the full curriculum. Demonstrate content knowledge and language skills.
- Slide 22
- How do teachers and administrators use ELPS for ELLs? Content Area Lesson Plans Refer to Handouts
- Slide 23
- So, now what? What is our role in using ELPS for ELLs? Curriculum Collaboration How are ELPS for ELLs linked to the bigger picture? Student achievement and accountability
- Slide 24
- Remember Clarity Focus Alignment Grade and language appropriate skills Flow Rigor appropriate to language proficiency level Manageability for student
- Slide 25
- Where are we going? Next steps State Board Submission and Review of currently developed ELPS Development of Social Studies and Science LP Standards
- Slide 26
- On behalf of our English Language Learners, thank you.
View more >