entrepreneurs urgent call for 21st century leaders.pptx
out of 19
Post on 23-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONEntrepreneurs and Leaders: Urgent Call for 21st Century Leaders
- An Urgent Call for 21st Century Leaders Conscious, Compassionate, and Charitable Entrepreneurial Leaders Needed NOW! Are You a 21st Century Leader? Prepared by Dr. Steve McSwain, Speaker, Author, Thought Leader, and Trainer For More InformaPon or to Book Steve to Speak and/or Train Visit www.SteveMcSwain.com or Your Preferred Speakers Bureau The material in this Powerpoint presentaPon is Copyrighted. No porPon of this PresentaPon shall be reproduced or uPlized without the expressed, wriWen consent of Dr. Steve McSwain, President and CEO of The FoundaPon for ExcellenceInc. Dated 6/2/2014
- Leadership CreaPng More Conscious, Compassionate, and Charitable Leaders for 21st Century Challenges 1. The CONSCIOUS Leader 2. The COMPASSIONATE Leader 3. The CHARITABLE Leader THE 3 C LEADER
- 1. Leadership is mostly EXTRINSIC and only a liWle INTRINSIC . Meaning? No Born Leaders! THE 3 C LEADER KNOWS hWp://assessments.johnmaxwell.com A LEADERSHIP Assessment You Should Know about from My Mentor John Maxwell KNOW THYSELF? If you do not, go here
- A Strengths Assessment You Should Know About Too Why is this important? It is important because To the degree that your current posiPon calls upon your top 5 signature strengths on a regular, daily basis, to that degree you feel fullled, excited, and happy about the job youre doing. hWps://www.authenPchappiness.sas.upenn.edu Dr. MarPn Seligman, University of Pennsylvania OH, AND GO HERE TOO
- Survey of Strengths Dr. Steve McSwain Here are my scores on the VIA Survey of Character Strengths. For how to interpret and use these scores, see the book Authentic Happiness. The ranking of the strengths reflects my overall ratings of myself on the 24 strengths in the survey and how much of each of the strengths I possess. My top five are the ones I pay attention to and find ways to use more often. MY Top # 1 Strength - Humor and playfulness - I like to laugh and tease. Bringing smiles to other people is important to me. I try to see the light side of all situations. Which is why Im a humorist. My 2nd Strength - Hope, optimism, and future-mindedness - I expect the best in the future, and I work to achieve it. I believe that the future is something that I can control. I really cant but believing I can works well for me. Strength #3 - Curiosity and interest in the world - I am curious about everything. I am always asking questions, and I find all subjects and topics fascinating. I like exploration and discovery. Strength #4 - Fairness, equity, and justice - Treating all people fairly is one of my abiding principles. I do not let my personal feelings bias my decisions about other people. I give everyone a chance. Strength #5 - Appreciation of beauty and excellence - I notice and appreciate beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience. This also explains why I married so beyond my deserving. HA HA
- 2. Leadership might be DEFINED in a sentence but it is only ever DEVELOPED over Pme. How to DEVELOP as a Leader 1. Read 2. Reect 3. Replicate Yourself INVEST IN YOUR BEST AND YOUR BEST WILL HELP THE REST John Maxwell
- 3. Leadership is never determined by TITLES, POSITIONS or PROMOTIONS, but by followers. (John Maxwell)
- People BUY INTO THE LEADER before they BELIEVE in his/her vision. John Maxwell 3. When people like neither the vision nor the leader, they get rid of both. 2. When people like the vision but not the leader, they get rid of the leader. 1. When people like the leader but not the vision, they seek another vision. 4. When people like both the leader and the vision, they will follow anywhere. John Maxwells LAW OF THE BUY IN
- 4. Insecure leaders may DOMINATE but secure leaders DELEGATE. Great things will happen, but only if you do not care who gets the credit. -- Mark Twain
- 1. Choose the tasks youre willing or should delegate. 2. Select the right person to whom to delegate. 3. Trust those to whom you delegate. 4. Give clear assignments and instrucPons. 5. Set a denite task and complePon date. 7. Give public and wriWen credit. 6. Dont look over their shoulder. HOW TO DELEGATE Insights by Harvey Mackey and Jan Yager
- 5. Leaders KNOW and LEAD from the place of their SIGNATURE STRENGTHS. hWps://www.authenPchappiness.sas.upenn.edu/quesPonnaires/brief-strengths-test Go HERE to Discover Your SIGNATURE STRENGTHS the VIA 24 Character Assessment
- 6. Leaders SHAKE MANY HANDS and MOVE MANY HEARTS. So said J. Maxwell Three QuesPons 1. Do you care about me? 2. Can I trust you? 3. Can you help me fulll my hopes and dreams?
- 6. FOCUSEDVISIONARY Leaders realize knowing WHAT NOT TO DO is as Important as knowing WHAT TO DO. Anyone can STEER A SHIP; it takes a leader, however, to CHART A COURSE -- John Maxwell NEED PROOF? Then, read Isaac Jacobsons NY Times Bestselling Biography of STEVE JOBS Talk about FOCUS!!
- 8.Leaders Know GROUCHY CUSTOMERS make GREAT COACHES. Thats my take on Bill Gates comment Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning. So, what has your last grouch taught you?
- 9. Ive learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Maya Angelou (1928 2014) LEADERS make the team feel Wanted, Needed, Appreciated, and Valued And more frequently than just the Holiday Party
- 10. Leaders LEAD 1) In Consciousness-raising self-aware; in touch with Their inner life; their environment, etc. 2) In Showing Compassion toward them Selves, their families, co-workers 3) In Charitable Giving generous In the life they live & legacy they leave. If NOT YOU, WHO? If NOT NOW, WHEN?
- FOR REFLECTION 1.Regarding ENTREPRENEURIAL LEADERSHIP in the 21st century, the most important maWer is ___________. 2. To me, the IDEAL ENTREPRENEUR is _______________. 3. Going forward, Ill take this one important truth and apply it to my own leadership context ______________.
- Thank You The material in this Powerpoint presentaPon is Copyrighted. No porPon of this PresentaPon shall be reproduced or uPlized without the expressed, wriWen consent of Dr. Steve McSwain, President and CEO of The FoundaPon for ExcellenceInc. Dated 6/2/2014 Thank you for viewing this presentaPon. I sincerely hope you found value in it. This was one of several talks I recently delivered To a gathering in London of managers from the nancial Services industry. If you have found value in this, please Share it with others. If you are interested in my services as a Speaker, trainer, and coach, contact me At 502-777-9426 or visit my website at www.SteveMcSwain.com
View more >