get your sunglasses ready! get your cameras and sketch pads ready too!
out of 19
Post on 24-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Get your sunglasses ready! Get your cameras and sketch pads ready too!
- Slide 2
- Were going on a safari!!!
- Slide 3
- Give two thumbs up if you remember the country where Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain takes place! If you said Kenya you were correct!
- Slide 4
- Today we will continue our study of Kenya by going on a safari. Many tourists come to Kenya to go on safari. Whats a tourist? Whats a safari?
- Slide 5
- Tourist Have you heard this word before? It is a noun. Turn to your neighbor and whisper what you think a tourist might be.
- Slide 6
- A tourist is someone who is visiting a place that is not their home. Tourists visit different places for fun, for vacation, and to learn about a new place. Good thinking!
- Slide 7
- Safari Have you heard this word before? It is also a noun. Turn to your neighbor and whisper what you think a safari might be.
- Slide 8
- A safari is a special sight-seeing trip that tourists take to see animals that live in the place the tourists are visiting.
- Slide 9
- I thought you would be excited! We are going to learn about the five main types of animals we are likely to see while visiting Kenya. Take a peek at your travel journal and point to each animals space as its name comes up on the screen!
- Slide 10
- Lion Leopard Elephant Buffalo Rhino
- Slide 11
- Get ready to sight-see! We will see all five animals on our safari! Try to remember two facts about each animal. You will work with a partner after our safari to complete your travel journal.
- Slide 12
- Lions -Live on the savannah -Females do most of the hunting -Rest in the shade during the hot day
- Slide 13
- Leopards -Mostly nocturnal -Fantastic hunters -Live alone (not in a pride like the lion)
- Slide 14
- Elephants -Can live on open plains or in forests -Constantly moving to find food and water -Can live to be 60-70 years old
- Slide 15
- Buffalo -Live mostly near water, but sometimes on the savannah -Very fierce! Will sometimes chase lions -Have huge, dangerous horns
- Slide 16
- Rhino -Can weigh up to 2 tons -Plant eaters -Can live to be 35-40 years old -Its only predator is the human
- Slide 17
- Whats next? You will be assigned a partner. You and your partner will tell each other two facts about each animal. Remember whisper! Then, we will share as a class. Finally, you will work on your travel journal.
- Slide 18
- Directions 1.You may begin with any animal. 2.Draw the animal in the box. 3.Write two facts about that animal. 4.Choose another animal and continue. 5.If you finish early, draw the habitat for some of the animals on the back and draw the animals in that habitat.
- Slide 19
- Webliography Images taken from http://images.google.com http://images.google.com Information and further images taken from http://www.kenyatravelideals.comhttp://www.kenyatravelideals.com
View more >