how to introduce creativity and innovation into your place of work - the art of leadership
out of 25
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSlides from a workshop presented by Doug Shaw and Joe Gerstandt at the 2014 Illinois SHRM Conference
- The Art of Leadership Doug Shaw & Joe Gerstandt Illinois SHRM 2014
- About Doug reativity ommunity ollaboration @dougshaw1
- About Joe Diversity Inclusion Freak Flag Flyer @joegerstandt
- Why Are We Here? Our objective is for you to be better equipped to introduce creativity and innovation into your place of work. Creativity and Collaboration are not important in my business Said no oneever The ability to work creatively and collaboratively are mission critical for successful business and successful HR.
- Creativity It Matters A major survey of CEOs selected creativity as the most critical capability to navigate todays complex world, rating it higher thanvision,rigouror management discipline. Design Council - 2013
- It Matters So Why Isnt It Happening? Some Ideas We Came Up With: Too Busy Too Risky Not Encouraged Coercive/Conformist Culture A Gap in What We Say and What We Do Perceived to be Inefficient
- We Are All Born Artists
- Vulnerability Vulnerability is the path to belonging, to innovation, trust and creativity. 85% of interviewees for Brene Browns research can recall a time in school that was so shaming it forever changed how they thought of themselves as learners 50% of those recollections related to art and creativity.
- Are You Creative? I ask people: Can you draw/paint/sketch? They say: I am not an artist Our work is our art We are all artists - Never be ashamed to admit it
- Overcoming Fear - Draw For The Bin We get hung up on believing our work is not good enough. We are not here to create Masterpieces we are here to stretch our creative muscles. Draw for the bin not the Royal Academy Relax and sketch yourself Into existence.
- Ebb and Flow Tuning up the Environment for Creativity
- A Beginning Where I Started to Show My Work www.artsensorium.com
- Doodling Hand sketching is an aid to many essential skills including: Concentration Idea Regeneration Problem Solving Memory Enhancement Sketching and doodling often takes a different path than words on a page, opening up more possibilities.
- Memory Trigger Sketches are powerful links to experiences and trigger important memories. A picture paints a thousand words.
- Iteration Creative work is iterative. Once an idea forms, it develops over a period of time. Each attempt, each mistake informs our learning until we realise the final tweaks needed, In order to get close to what we see in our minds eye.
- Sketch Notes Going social Devolved power = more agility Going social whats the hardest part? Going social what does it mean to you?
- Mark Making Using symbols and shapes to help represent your business is an interesting way of helping get clarity around your brand and strategy.
- Coaching Questions http://stopdoingdumbthingstocustomers.com/inspiring/leap-day-learning/ Using sketching and non judgmental questioning to help create a coaching culture and improve your work.
- Sketching the Future of Work Inviting teams to cocreate a big picture future for their work. Heres one example, follow the link to see more. Had we more time, we would have refined and developed our work further the point was simply to get people familiar with the concept on the day. http://stopdoingdumbthingstocustomers.com/learning/visualising-your-work/
- Creativity From Constraint Creativity is subtraction Choose what to leave out Austin Kleon Necessity is the mother of invention Anon Drawing is about mark making. Try to use only the marks you need Kit White
- Improvisation That which is created without preparation. 1 Rule: There are no mistakes 3 Principles: Listen Say yesand Commit
- Stories Part of the Essence of Life and Work The Five Beats of StoryTelling 1. The Introduction 2. The Inciting Incident 3. Raising The Stakes 4. The Main Event 5. The Resolution http://99u.com/articles/17652/the-five-beats-of-successful-storytelling-how-it-can- help-you-land-your-next-job
- Stories Part of the Essence of Life and Work Lost and Found A Love Story http://stopdoingdumbthingstocustomers.com/connection/lost-and-found/
- Further Reading Photo Credits Photos Doug Shaw except: Joe Gerstandt Bryce Bridges Work Sucks https://flic.kr/p/sFfHK Vulnerable http://www.flickr.com/photos/home_of_dreams/3581920427/ Sunflowers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflowers_(painting)
View more >