how to reduce your carbon footprint by: shannon houst
out of 7
Post on 18-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- How to Reduce your Carbon Footprint By: Shannon Houst
- Slide 2
- What is it? A carbon footprint is a measure of the impact of our activities have on the environment, and in particular climate change. It relates to the amount of greenhouse gasses produced in our day-to-day lives through burning fossil fuels for electricity, heating and transportation. It is a measurement of all greenhouse gases we individually produce and has units of kilograms of carbon dioxide equivalent.
- Slide 3
- The pie chart above shows the main elements which make up the total of a typical persons carbon footprint in the developed world. The primary footprint(green slices) and the secondary footprint(yellow slices)
- Slide 4
- What is a Carbon footprint made up of? A carbon footprint is made up of the sums of the primary and secondary footprints. Primary footprintmeasurement of direct CO2 emissions of burning fossil fuels; domestic energy consumption and transportation, we have direct control of these. Secondary footprintmeasurement of indirect CO2 emissions from the whole lifecycle of products used, associated with manufacture and eventual breakdown. In other words, the more we buy, the more emissions will be caused on our behalf.
- Slide 5
- How can you reduce your Carbon Footprint? Turn it off when not in use (lights, television, DVD player, Hi Fi, computer etc. etc....) Click here to find out which electrical items in your household are contribute the most to your Carbon FootprintClick here to find out which electrical items in your household are contribute the most to your Carbon Footprint Turn down the central heating slightly (try just 1 to 2 degrees C) Turn down the water heating setting (just 2 degrees will make a significant saving) Check the central heating timer setting - remember there is no point heating the house after you have left for work Fill your dish washer and washing machine with a full load - this will save you water, electricity, and washing powder Fill the kettle with only as much water as you need Do your weekly shopping in a single trip Hang out the washing to dry rather than tumble drying it Sign up to a green energy supplier, who will supply electricity from renewable sources (e.g. wind and hydroelectric power) - this will reduce your carbon footprint contribution from electricity to zerogreen energy
- Slide 6
- ApplianceUsageKg CO2 per year Microwave Oven96 times per year39 Washing Machine187 washes per year51 Kettle1542 uses per year73 Standard Light bulb4 hours a day63 Low Energy Light Bulb4 hours a day11 Electric Tumble Dryer148 uses per year159 Electric Oven135.1 uses per year91 Gas Oven135.1 uses per year38 Dishwasher at 55C110 uses per year51 Dishwasher at 65C135 uses per year84 The table above gives you an idea of which appliances in your household are contributing the most to your carbon footprint.
- Slide 7
- Sources "Carbon Footprint - What Is A Carbon Footprint?." Carbon Footprint - Home of Carbon Management. RADsite, n.d. Web. 27 May 2010.. insulation, installing 180mm thick loft. "Carbon Footprint - Carbon Footprint Reduction." Carbon Footprint - Home of Carbon Management. RADsite, n.d. Web. 27 May 2010.. "Carbon Footprint - Household Energy Consumption." Carbon Footprint - Home of Carbon Management. RADsite, n.d. Web. 27 May 2010..
View more >
How to reduce textile dyeing‘s environmental footprint? ?· Responsible processing – dyeing and finishing How to reduce textile dyeing‘s environmental footprint? John Murphy, Technical Resource Director Europe
Shades of Green: Multi-stakeholder inits to reduce environmental footprint of commercial agriculture
TAKING STEPS TO REDUCE OUR ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT STEPS TO REDUCE OUR ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT ... Atlas Copco has been recognised by the United Nations ... Pakistan, Bahrain, Egypt and
ClimaTe Tfi The U.S. ferTilizer indUSTry Change ?· ways to reduce their overall carbon footprint. Beyond…
Reduce Complexity - London Grid for Learning Complexity Reduce Carbon Footprint Energy savings Physical Space release Enhanced Data and Application Security ... Yammer
How can we reduce our carbon footprints? http://www.cooltheworld.com /kidscarboncalculator.php Complete carbon footprint Compare your carbon footprint