how to write a reflection statement
out of 8
Post on 13-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. What is a reflection statement? 0Its an analysis of your narrative. You need to read through your own narrative and analyze the main narrative and language forms and features that you have used to show : 0The moral of the story (the concept / values) 0The characters 0The plot-line / action 0The changing emotion/ mood or tone of the story 0The time-sequence of events / action
- 2. HOW did you create ideas, attitudes, characters and action in your narrative? literary devices = language forms and features narrative conventions poetic devices figurative language techniques HOW ? = what literary devices did you use to show values, ideas, attitudes, characters and action in your narrative?
- 3. What narrative conventions (& Language Forms and Features*) did you use in your narrative (story)? 0 Genre 0 Narrative voice 0 Linear / non-linear narrative structure 0 Characterisation 0 Setting (time and place) 0 Language techniques * 0 Tone (emotive language) 0 Symbolism
- 4. language techniques include FACTUAL LANGUAGE: Real names of real people and places Real historical events Statistics Exact distances and time periods Scientific words Provable or objective information
- 5. Following is an example of reflection statement 0You need to pay close attention to: 0The sentence structure 0The punctuation 0The use of the technical names for language techniques and narrative conventions 0The accurate and fully-explained effect of the language techniques and the narrative conventions 0The use of written language style and not spoken language style of the piece (do not write what you would say the rules are different when you write!) 0The inclusion of quotes from your narrative
- 6. I chose the title Impossible Choice because my narrative explored the concept of the impact of life-changing choices being forced upon individuals. I wanted to show how in an instant a forceful power can forever change an individuals life. I chose to write the narrative as a short story and, consequently, I limited characterization to two contrasting characters: the prisoner, a young single mother of two small children; and a Nazi guard, a tall, uniformed man. Being a short story, the plot unfolded in one setting in approximately 6 minutes. The plot involved a young mother being forced to choose which one of two her children would be sent to the gas chamber. I developed the two characters by using direct speech and close-up imagery. I attempted to show the Nazi guard as being taller and more powerful than the smaller, weaker mother. I emphasized the power of the Nazi guard with close-up images of his Nazi uniform in the simile ______________________________ and in the metaphor _________ _________. The direct speech also developed the action and the plot. The repetition in the direct speech I cant choose I cant choose dont make me choose and You must choose!... if you dont choose illustrates the terrible difficulty that the mother is experiencing in having this impossible choice forced upon her. To give a deep emotional atmosphere to the narrative, I attempted to use sound imagery. The opening of the narrative is very quiet and still. I used alliteration of whispering wistful wretched to create a silence which would contrast with the deafening screams and action of the final scene. The onomatopoeia of NOOEEEAAARGH!. and EEEAAEEIIIAARRGHHHHHH!!!... REEAYYAAAAH! in the final gut-wrenching blood-curdling screams of the mother and child develops an even more painful reaction because it follows the previous silent stillness of the narrative. Finally, I structured the narrative into three short paragraphs. The first paragraph sets up the choice that is being forced in the mother. The second paragraph is mostly direct speech and develops the shock and torture that is being experienced by the mother. The final paragraph is intentionally short to more powerfully illustrate the final and horrific consequence of the Impossible Choice. (371 words)
- 7. To help you get started and to help you develop your reflection statement try using these sentence starters NOTE: the following sentences are simply a few suggestions there are, of course, other options which you may need to consider depending on your narrative. I chose the title ____________ because my narrative explored the concept of I chose to write the narrative as a short story and, consequently, I limited characterization to two contrasting characters. I chose to write in 3rd person narrative because it positions the responder to be. Being a short story, the plot unfolded in one setting in approximately ___ minutes. The plot involved I developed the two characters by using I emphasized the intimidating torment of the _______________________________________ in the simile ______________________________ and in the personification _________________________________. .. The direct speech developed the action in ______________________________________ . The repetition in ________... _______.... _____ illustrates To give a deep emotional atmosphere to the narrative, I attempted to use... I used alliteration of a silence which would contrast with the deafening screams and action of the final scene. I structured the narrative into ________________________ sections / paragraphs to show.
View more >