immersive learning environments
Post on 07-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis presentation attempts to place virtual worlds and immersive games within the larger metaverse, provide a look at the planning and pedagogy behind their use and then provides examples of pedagogy in action in virtual worlds. Let me know if you think it succeeded. If you plan to embed or use this at a presentation, please let me know in the comments.
- 1.Virtually real education: Second Lifeand theMetaverse
- The Metaverse
- Pedagogy and Second Life
- Examples of pedagogy in action
- Games people play
Virtually real education 3. The metaverse http://www.metaverseroadmap.org Smart, J.M., Cascio, J. and Paffendorf, J., Metaverse Roadmap Overview, 2007. Creative Commons License 2007. Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License. Our collective online shared space Info about& control of world around user User hasrepresentationLayers of new control systems& information - physical environment. 4. What could this mean for us? http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html an information-drenched physical environmentwhere 1 D, 2D and 3D applications are used as appropriate 5. Your use of virtual worlds? 6. Types of virtual worlds exploring
- 2D chat rooms tied to social networks
- MMOs/MMPORGs/MMORPGs Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games
- Immersive virtual worlds Second Life
- Social interaction with REAL PEOPLE, persistence, immersion
7. Immersive environments overview
- Starting age?
8. Image: David Shankbone GNU Free Doucmentation License http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Webkinz_kids _by_David_Shankbone.jpg 9. Immersive environments overview
- Number of immersive environments?
- Number of users?
10. 100s of worlds 100s of millions of users http://www.personalizemedia.com/2008-metaverse-tour-video-the-social-virtual-worlds-a-stage/ 11. 12. 13. 14. Habbo Hotel URL:http://habbohotel.com Age group: 10 to 13 year olds Registered users: 135 million May 2009 Owner/creator: Sulake Corporation of Finland Launched:January 2001 15. Time to chat! How will the Metaverse impact learners and learning? How will it impact teaching? What about our private lives? 16.
- Pedagogy and immersive environments
Pedagogy and virtual worlds 17. Collaborative learning http://www.wordle.netCC (by)Collaboration in Teaching and Learning report - http://www.educationau.edu.au/SICTAS 18. From: Pedagogical Design of Learning within Virtual Worlds Carina Girvan and Timothy Savage Centre for Research in It in Education Trinity College, Dublin Used with permission 19. From: Pedagogical Design of Learning within Virtual Worlds Carina Girvan and Timothy Savage Centre for Research in It in Education Trinity College, Dublin Used with permission 20. Experiential learning
- In virtual worlds, learnersexperiencethe concrete realities that words and symbols describe.
- Video games and the future of learning Shaffer, Squire, Halverson, Gee (4)
21. A sense of presence 22. Role Play A safe place to practice 23. Simulations of history 24. Simulations on a grand scale 25. Representationsof complex ideas 26. Models for real-life planning 27. Teen Second Life 13 to 17 yrs Beth Kraemer -http://unicef.blip.tv/file/1361273 / (c) 28. Teen Second Life 29. Your insights please... 30. Education in Quest Atlantis Purpose-built education environment 31. Quest Atlantis http://atlantis.crlt.indiana.edu/#49 32. Quest Atlantis in Tasmania
- Peer moderation
- At-risk student
- Highly-able students
Case studies and information supplied by Angela Cooke,SEO eLearning Delivery, Centre for Extended Learning Online http://www.education.tas.gov.au/celo 33. 34. For more information
- Bronwyn Stuckey -[email_address]
35. MMOs help players develop and exercise a skill set closely matching the thinking, planning, learning, and technical skills increasingly in demand by employers. NASA 36. NASA Learning Technologies
- MMOs help players develop and exercise a skill set closely matching the thinking, planning, learning, and technical skills increasingly in demand by employers.
37. About Education.au Education.au is Australia's leading Information and Communications Technology agency for educators and delivers a range of web services and strategic advice to clients in the higher education, schools education and vocational education and training sectors. Web site:http://www.educationau.edu.au Twitter: http://twitter.com/educationau Blogs:http://blogs.educationau.edu.au YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/edauvids 38. Citations and sites
- Forrester Research Getting Real Work Done in Virtual Worlds
- Collaboration in Teaching and Learning reporthttp://www.educationau.edu.au/SICTAS
- Virtual Worlds, Inherently Immersive, Highly Social Spaces Johnson & Levinehttp://immersiveeducation.org/library/Immersive_Learning-Johnson_and_Levine.pdf
- Developing New Learning and Collaboration Environments for Educators: The New Media Consortium in Second Life
- Hub 2 -pilot initiative funded by the Boston Redevelopment Authorityhttp://hub2.org/
- Further links: http://www.diigo.com/user/kerryj