introduction to fortran fortran evolution drawbacks of fortran 77 fortran 90 new features advantages...
Post on 20-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Introduction to Fortran Fortran Evolution Drawbacks of FORTRAN 77 Fortran 90 New features Advantages of Additions
- Slide 2
- Introduction to Fortran Fortran Evolution History: FORmula TRANslation. first compiler: 1957. first official standard 1972: `FORTRAN 66'. updated in 1980 to FORTRAN 77. updated further in 1991 to Fortran 90. next upgrade due in 1996 - remove obsolescent features, correct mistakes and add limited basket of new facilities such as ELEMENTAL and PURE user-defined procedures and the FORALL statement. Fortran is now an ISO/IEC and ANSI standard.
- Slide 3
- Introduction to Fortran Drawbacks of FORTRAN 77 FORTRAN 77 was limited in the following areas, awkward `punched card' or `fixed form' source format; inability to represent intrinsically parallel operations; lack of dynamic storage; non-portability; no user-defined data types; lack of explicit recursion; reliance on unsafe storage and sequence association features.
- Slide 4
- Introduction to Fortran Fortran 90 New features Fortran 90 supports, free source form; array syntax and many more (array) intrinsics; dynamic storage and pointers; portable data types (KIND s); derived data types and operators; recursion; MODULE s procedure interfaces; enhanced control structures; user defined generic procedures; enhanced I/O.
- Slide 5
- Introduction to Fortran Advantages of Additions Fortran 90 is: more natural; greater flexibility; enhanced safety; parallel execution; separate compilation; greater portability; but is larger; more complex;
- Slide 6
- Language Obsolescence Obsolescent Features Undesirable Features
- Slide 7
- Language Obsolescence Fortran 90 has a number of features marked as obsolescent, this means, they are already redundant in FORTRAN 77; better methods of programming already existed in the FORTRAN 77 standard; programmers should stop using them; the standards committee's intention is that many of these features will be removed from the next revision of the language, Fortran 95;
- Slide 8
- Language Obsolescence Obsolescent Features The following features are labelled as obsolescent and will be removed from the next revision of Fortran, Fortran 95, the arithmetic IF statement; ASSIGN statement; ASSIGN ed GOTO statements; ASSIGN ed FORMAT statements; Hollerith format strings; the PAUSE statement; REAL and DOUBLE PRECISION DO-loop control expressions and index variables; shared DO-loop termination; alternate RETURN; branching to an ENDIF from outside the IF block;
- Slide 9
- Language Obsolescence Undesirable Features fixed source form layout - use free form; implicit declaration of variables - use IMPLICIT NONE; COMMON blocks - use MODULE; assumed size arrays - use assumed shape; EQUIVALENCE statements; ENTRY statements; the computed GOTO statement - use IF statement;
- Slide 10
- Object Oriented Programming Object Oriented Facilities Fortran 90 has some Object Oriented facilities such as: data abstraction -- user-defined types; data hiding -- PRIVATE and PUBLIC attributes; encapsulation -- Modules and data hiding facilities; inheritance and extensibility -- super-types, operator overloading and generic procedures; polymorphism -- user can program his / her own polymorphism by generic overloading; reusability -- Modules;
View more >
0 1 Contents 1.Fortran benefits and drawbacks 2. Means of utilizing Fortran sources 3. How DLL works 4. Improvements of the DLL 5. Possible difficulties
FORTRAN - wi1.uni- Seminar Programmiersprachen FORTRAN 5 2 Historische Entwicklung 2.1 FORTRAN I 2.2 FORTRAN II, III, IV 2.3 FORTRAN 66 2.4 FORTRAN 77 2.5 Fortran 90
FORTRAN 90/95 Lenguaje FORTRAN PRIMER lenguaje de Alto nivel CÁLCULO; ANÁLISIS NUMÉRICO (FORmula TRANslation) 1954 FORTRAN II – 1958 FORTRAN
A GPSS -FORTRAN CASE STUDY by - CORE ?· H.STORAGEREQUIREMENT FORTRAN GPSS Comparison REPLICATION FORTRAN…
Fortran 90 - Center 4 Fortran FORmula TRANslation 1950년대후반IBM에서개발 9가장오래된고급언어 국제표준채택(1980, ISO) FORTRAN 77 Fortran 90, Fortran 95, Fortran