job search pit stop
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONBrief presentation I did for a small group presentation.
JOB SEARCH PIT-STOP
Ed HunterJanuary 25, 2014
How Most People Job Search How Most People Find Jobs A More Effective Way!
HOW MOST PEOPLE JOB SEARCH
HOW DO PEOPLE REALLY GET THEIR NEXT JOB?
HOW 1,600 U.S. EMPLOYEES GOT THEIR LAST JOB
I.D. YOUR NETWORK
I.D. TARGET EMPLOYERS
LAND AND EXPAND
A BETTER WAY
What would be fun to try next…◦ …that I have some skills for?◦ …which interests me?◦ …which aligns with my needs?◦ …which is healthy for me?◦ …with manageable level of stress?
NEXT STEPS: FOCUS
Organize a list
◦ Family, friends, those who love you◦ People you have worked with (successfully!)
in the past◦ Acquaintances (e.g. service professionals,
friends of friends…)◦ Communities of Shared Interest
LinkedIn Groups, MeetUp Groups, Church or civic groups, and support groups!
NEXT STEPS: NETWORKING
Think about your FOCUS statements…◦ Industries, companies and/or work
settings What companies have you already
thought of?◦ Others like them◦ Try a Reference Librarian
Start showing your list (even if small) to people you Network with
NEXT STEPS: TARGET EMPLOYERS
1. State who referred you (If applicable) 2. Be honest: Yes, I am navigating a career transition3. Help Them See Your Background: My work
history (brief) and quick summary of top employable skills
4. Educate: “What I’d love to do next in my career is…”
5. Be Direct: “What I would like from you is…” Suggestions on related job roles I might consider Perhaps connect me with people you know who might be
helpful Look at my list of target employers and suggest
additions or deletions
A NETWORKING AGENDA
Keep a record of :◦ everyone you meet (CONTACTS) ◦ every meeting (NOTES)◦ who referred you
Always ask permission to use their name when contacting referrals.
Practice with someone easy & forgiving before moving on to the BIG DOGS!
NEXT STEPS: LAND & EXPAND
LET’S TRY IT OUT!
NAME My background is in (ROLES, INDUSTRIES) I know I’m very good at (TRANSFERABLE
SKILLS) What I’d LOVE to try next would be… Right now, I’m hoping to get (REQUEST)
◦ Contacts◦ Ideas to expand my targets◦ Company List suggestions
THE NETWORKING INTRODUCTION
Life in Progress Coaching