kites india - indian kite - kite museum india
Embed Size (px)
Kite Museum Kite Museum AhmedabadAhmedabad
• January is the time for kite festivals to take place all over India.
• The International Kite Festival, however, is held at Ahmedabad in Gujarat.
• It takes place on January 13th or 14th, to coincide with the festival of Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti.
• Families celebrate this holiday together.
• Traditionally the kites are made from paper.
• But this is not a gentle sport!
• The aim is to fly your kite, cut out the opposition and leave your kite flying.
• Special mixtures of glue and ground glass cover the lines. This helps to cut through an opponents line, sending their kite crashing to the ground.
• This makes the lines so sharp that, carelessly used, they can cut a finger.
• After dark, thousands of kites are fitted with cylindrical paper lamps. These fill the sky like brightly flickering stars.
Sanskar Kendra Opp. National Institute
of Design, Paldi
Ahmedabad – 380007 Gujarat Indiahttp://www.ahmedabadkiteflyers.org