l22 narrative theory comparison
Post on 07-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. YOU MUST establish HOW each of the binary opposites (Levi Strauss) are represented in BOTH texts. YOU SHOULD support your understanding with evidence from key scenes that we have analysed. Entrance Activity Levi Strauss Binary Opposition Good vs. Evil Rich vs. Poor Men vs. Women
- 2. Title: Key Scenes (Narrative) Comparisons Monday 27th April 2015 FM2 British and American Film (60%) of AS Level) Section C US Cinema Comparative Study Goodfellas and American Gangster - (40 marks)
- 3. Why? Aims & Objectives YOU WILL re-cap prior learning. YOU WILL investigate HOW Narrative Theories and approaches apply to BOTH case studies in a comparative manner. Review the Learning. AO1 Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of film as an audio-visual form of creative expression together and AO2 Apply knowledge and understanding, including some of the common critical approaches that characterise the subject, when exploring and analysing films.
- 4. 2 minute Todorov Equilibrium - Disequilibrium - New Equilibrium YOU MUST establish WHERE/HOW these parts are represented in:
- 5. Task - 20 minutes YOU MUST analyse the x2 scenes above in your exercise books to establish HOW this Narrative function is represented in BOTH texts. Once you have analysed the micro features for BOTH scenes, YOU SHOULD look at your Section C Booklets to establish what other Narrative Functions are represented in BOTH texts. VIOLATION of INTERDICTION. The interdiction is violated (villain enters the tale). This generally proves to be a bad move and the villain enters the story, although not necessarily confronting the hero. Perhaps they are just a lurking presence or perhaps they attack the family whilst the hero is away. Propps narrative functions Goodfellas Paulie warning Henry to stay away from the Garbage American Gangster Mrs. Lucas (Franks Mother) orders him NOT to kill/seek vengeance on Det. Trupo.
- 6. VIOLATION of INTERDICTION. The interdiction is violated (villain enters the tale). This generally proves to be a bad move and the villain enters the story, although not necessarily confronting the hero. Perhaps they are just a lurking presence or perhaps they attack the family whilst the hero is away. Propps narrative functions FEEDBACK
- 7. What have you learnt? Write x2 examples YOU WILL use in the exam from what you have learnt in the lesson today.
- 8. Homework REVISE for an upcoming past Paper The ONLY Mock you will complete before the exam! Goodfellas Misogyny Henry threatening Karen after she threatens to shoot him over his affair. American Gangster Misogyny Frank burning the jacket. Goodfellas Machismo Never rat on your friends scene American Gangster Machismo Frank and his brother in Harlem Either youre somebody or nobody Due: Next Lesson Tuesday 28th April
View more >