latin america enviromental concerns
out of 38
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Latin Americas Environmental Concerns Unit 6 Notes
- 2. Air Pollution in Mexico City: Facts nearly 20 million people live here second most populated city in the world--Tokyo is first citys population & location contribute to its bad air pollution problem considered to be the most polluted city in the world
- 3. Air Pollution Over Mexico City
- 4. Air Pollution Over Mexico City
- 5. Causes of Air Pollution 1. 2. huge population = lots of cars high elevation--less oxygen so fuels dont fully burn --higher level of gases that harm eyes, lungs, & the heart 1. Sierra Madre mountains surround city & trap in polluted air
- 6. Surrounded by Mountains
- 7. Solutions To reduce air pollution, the city promotes public transportation (buses, subway). The city is also testing buses that run on cleaner burning fuels. new restrictions on car use workshops to teach people about the environment
- 8. Amazon Rainforest: Facts largest rainforest in the world most of the rainforest is in Brazil experiences a hot, humid, & rainy tropical climate home to a huge variety of plants, trees, insects, birds, & animals produces 20% of the earths oxygen
- 9. Amazon Rainforest
- 10. Causes: Destruction of the Amazon Rainforest In the 1950s, the Brazilian government began building a major highway system. opened rainforest to loggers Brazils population has increased--parts of rainforest are being cut down to create farms: Slash and burn and clear cutting
- 11. Before
- 12. After
- 13. Facts: Results of Deforestation Plants & animals are losing their homes; many are endangered, and some are becoming extinct. Loss of trees increases carbon dioxide, a gas that contributes to global warming.
- 14. Solutions The government is working to fix the deforestation problem by passing laws on cutting down too many trees. What else can be done?
- 15. Causes: Oil-Related Pollution in Venezuela One of the worlds leading producers of oil has been producing oil for about 100 years Oil production has boosted economy Main source of income for many people Oil production results in toxic wastes, air pollution, & oil spills
- 16. Facts: Problems Venezuelas coast has become polluted with oil. oil spills have damaged the environment hurts the ability of fishermen to earn a living
- 17. Result of Drilling for Oil
- 18. Facts: Problems Venezuela leads South America in the production of carbon dioxide, which is a by-product of burning fossil fuels like natural gas & oil. can cause breathing problems for children & elderly contributes to global warming
- 19. Facts: Problems Oil businesses have damaged Lake Maracaibo (largest lake in South America). Large amounts of oil have been removed from the area so the land is changing. eastern shore of the lake is dropping about three inches a year government is having to take precautions to keep water from flooding into nearby towns
- 20. Facts: Problems Money from selling oil is the countrys main source of income. Venezuelans are motivated to keep producing, selling, and burning oil--and polluting.
- 21. Solutions People are becoming aware that the cost in the long term may be too great. Groups are calling for renewable energy sources and the clean-up and prevention of pollution.
- 22. Directions for Foldable Front Flap Picture Rhyme Rap Explain hand gesture Other On the front flap, create a picture, rhyme, rap or a hand gesture that helps you remember the environmental concern.
View more >