make your ux ideas stick
out of 89
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONAs UX pros, whether designing or analyzing, ideas are at our core. We spend years learning how to shape ideas into assets - reporting user insights, designing prototypes, and scoping interactions. But we spend woefully little time learning to communicate this stuff to its full potential. Ive learned the hard way that often ideas arent enough. The kind of work that gets us to user findings, designs and product specs isnt the same as what gets people to pay attention, remember it, believe it and care. This preso is about simple communication methods to get people stuck on your ideas.
- John Douglass Social UX Research, Google Make Your Ideas Stick UXPA DC - July 2014
- flickr: quinnanya
- JON SNOW www.pakistantoday.com.pk
- JOHN SNOW johnsnow.matrix.msu.edu
- How did Cholera spread? He had an idea... How did Cholera spread? He had an idea... Johnson Cameraface
- The idea could be expressed many ways.
- The way he chose made it stick. The way he chose made it stick.
- UX Tools Help Us Convey Powerful Ideas UX Tools Help Us Convey Powerful Ideas Lars Kristian Flem
- We make lives better by expressing great ideas, BIG or small.
- But our UX education doesnt fully prepare us to be great influencers. Nic Price
- Hey, Guess What? Hey, Guess What? Doug88888
- YOU ARE CURSED Mikko Luntiala
- CURSE OF KNOWLEDGE CURSE OF KNOWLEDGE timetrax23
- Cant Be an Expert and Novice Simultaneously Garry Wilmore
- CELL PHONE SALESPEOPLE Q: How long do you think it takes people to learn how to set up their phones?
- Experts said 13 minutes Users spent 33 minutes 154% longer than predicted
- We need special skills to get stakeholders to pay attention, remember, believe and care. We need special skills to get stakeholders to pay attention, remember, believe and care.
- Ideas arent born interesting, theyre made interesting.
- Put VELCRO on your ideas. Give each more hooks to get stuck on your audience. more hooks = more stick Doun Dounell
- 2 1 3 THREE TECHNIQUES TO MAKE YOUR IDEAS STICK Make It Concrete Tell Stories Know Your First Audience
- 1 Make it Concrete
- When you sell UX, what do you talk about?
- What do clients or stakeholders hear?
- UX speak doesnt speak to stakeholders.
- Lessons are encoded with physical, material details. Lessons are encoded with physical, material details.
- Concrete ideas engage the senses.
- An important ecological area to the east of Silicon Valley. An important ecological area to the east of Silicon Valley. How do you make this more concrete? How do you make this more concrete?
- The Mount Hamilton Wilderness The Mount Hamilton Wilderness via Made to Stick
- Games engage but can get in the way.
- How do we maximize the best parts of games and minimize the annoying stuff? What did we call this concept? Social gaming aggregator? An entertainment stream?
- Game ClosetGame Closet
- Had designs to help new Google+ sign- ups connect with their friends and interests: how did we frame our ideas? Better on-boarding? Increasing edge growth? Friend previewing?
- Warm WelcomeWarm Welcome
- A new design direction for all of Google - consistent UI and design guidelines. How do we get developers engaged? Android & Chrome OS design guidelines? Google UX principles? Google design framework?
- Material Design Material Design
- Statistics, Analytics, Numbers? Use Human Scale. Statistics, Analytics, Numbers? Use Human Scale. themarkeworld.com
- Facts are stickier when theyre in HUMAN SCALE.
- Avoid UX speak. Use metaphors of physical and material experiences. Use human scale to represent facts & figures. 1 Make It Concrete Recap
- 2 Tell Stories
- Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
- Thomas Caleshu
- Babson College
- Bored roomBored room
- The facts describe the events
- We are swimming in data and events, not stories
- Facts Tell, Stories Sell
- Stories change your audiences physical state. We simulate what we hear.
- Sorry I put this in your headSorry I put this in your head Thomas Caleshu
- Stories are not just a narrative of events. They should have 1. activities 2. motivations 3. characters
- A story focused our design sprint Mark
- Deflate story criticism with stats Mark 5 million people with similar issues
- But how do you get find, collect and share stories?
- Ask users: tell me about last time before/after why/why/why Ask users: tell me about last time before/after why/why/why
- Use search logs, customer service records, survey data to find stories. Use search logs, customer service records, survey data to find stories. Jacopo Romei
- Pinterest recruits others to help generate their stories Pinterest recruits others to help generate their stories
- Illustrate stories easily MakeBeliefsComix.com
- Facts tell, stories sell. Look for activities, motivations, characters. Find stories in existing data or when talking to users. 2 Tell Stories Recap
- 3 Know Your First Audience
- You Client Boss Tech Lead Users In a perfect world: youre all on the same page.
- You Client Boss Tech Lead Users In a real world: you have a first audience before the user.
- You Client Boss Tech Lead Users These people are your users too.
- Conduct user research on your first audience.
- Put your client in an eye-tracker. Fernando Rodriguez, Jr.
- Ask yourself (and them) how do they get promoted? what keeps them up at night? what reduces their workload? who are their heroes?
- In high stakes pitches, people start with solving a problem. In high stakes pitches, people start with solving a problem.
- Define the problem in a way your stakeholders care about.
- Making requests at Tesla goes better when focusing on the first audience. Making requests at Tesla goes better when focusing on the first audience. Patrick Herbert
- Strategic leaders - generate and maintain a common vision. Managers - keep entire team on track. Tech experts - implement the vision, make the detailed decisions.
- Whats your job?
View more >
Stick Electrode Welding Guide - Lincoln Electric Global ?· Stick Electrode Welding Guide Keywords: stick welding guide, stick welding, stick welder, stick welding rods, stick welding electrodes Created Date:
THE EFFECTIVENESS OF TALKING STICK METHOD IN Arief.pdf · have.People talk as a way of conveying ideas…
UX-Research 1a methods observation john/IMS-UX/Material/2018/UX-Research_1a_methods...UX Research methods
simplify your life. - ?· 5 Goccia Stick 10 Sfera Stick 10-11 Oliva Stick 11 Tortiglione Stick 12 Fiamma…