making dissertations & theses accessible and discoverable Специальные условия...
Post on 19-Jan-2016
Embed Size (px)
Making Dissertations & Theses accessible and discoverableСпециальные условия по включению диссертаций российских ученых в базу ProQuest Dissertations & Theses
МGU Moscow, 12 November, 2015
• ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (PQDT)• Dissemination through ProQuest• Long-term preservation and digitization options• Dissertation Dashboard• Benefits of dissertation partnership• Submission methods
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: 77 years of innovation
Eugene Power establishes University Microfilms
dissertations on microform and print for the first time
UMI as publisher of record for
Dissertations Abstracts first produced on
Library of Congress
recognizes UMI as offsite repository of
Migration to ProQuest
platform and renamed ProQuest
New ProQuest platform
integrates dissertations into broader
searches furthering discovery
PQDT Global integrating an
records from UK and other
non US sources
1938 1939 1951 1987 1998 2007 2010 2013
The largest collection & most reliable ETD search tool
PQDT Global: Number of Graduate Works
3.8M total citations (A&I)
1.7M available in PQDT Global in full text PDF
PQDT - Reliable and quality access to dissertations and theses
• 97% of US Dissertations
• 270,000 from Canada and 50,000 from the UK
• Full text for most dissertations added since 1997
• Expanding coverage from Europe, Latin America, Middle East & Asia Pacific
Over 1.7 million graduate works in full text PDF
• Simple bibliographic citations available for dissertations even from 1637
• 500,000 from UK
• 150,000 from China
• Dissertation records from over 30 countries
3.8 million searchable citations from 1861 through the present
• ProQuest partners with 2,700 academic institutions worldwide to publish their graduate works
110,000 new full text graduate works added each year
Why Publish with ProQuest?
Inclusion in PQDT expands the reach of your university’s research. In addition, references are populated to all major subject indexes, creating even more visibility for the output. Subject indexes include Inspec, SciFinder, Ei Compendex, Institute of Physics, MathSciNet, ABI/INFORM, PsycINFO, ERIC, Wilson Art Index, and more.
Visibility in Google Scholar
PQDT Global : New European and Asian content
A growing network of global publishing partners
University of Bath Universidad de Valencia And more to come….
University College London
Cardiff University Multimedia University Australian National
London School of Economics
• Maintain and preserve dissertations and theses collection digitally and on microform
• Microfilm copies are created for all dissertations and master’s theses, whether submitted on paper or as digital files
• Tests have shown that microform is archivally secure for 1,000 years
• For Digital Preservation – Working toward “Trusted Digital Repository Status” using OCLC / RLG Guidelines
Digital and Microfilm Preservation
ProQuest can publish dissertations and theses in all formats including:
• Audio• Video• Datasets• Operating systems• …and more!
• Titles sent to our facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan
• Bibliographic data entered
• MARCs generated and delivered to the library
• Microfilm for each title created
• Negatives will be preserved in ProQuest’s vaults
• Microform copies for use on campus are available
• Digital copies created from microfilm
• Available through Institutional Repository
• Available through PQDT database
Digitization Program: Preservation and Enhancing Access
Dissertation Dashboard -Insights into usage metrics for publishing partners
• Number of times a dissertation record is accessed in the PQDT database.Includes citations, abstracts, 24 page previews, PDF views, downloads
• Usage by subjects
• Global Accesses (usage data as defined above by geographical regions)
• Available to partner institutions subscribing to PQDT Global
Top dissertation titles
Usage by university
Exposure, Dissemination and Royalties
Why Publish with ProQuest?
• Over 2,700 universities and organizations submit to ProQuest
• Publishing with ProQuest maximizes discoverability of your university’s research– PQDT Global used by 3,000 institutions– 200 million searches per year– Metadata to be found in
major subject indexes
• ProQuest is a non-exclusive publisher
• Authors / universities retain copyright
• Authors receive 10 % of Sales revenue
How to submit to ProQuest – With an existing online submission workflow
University uses its own system to collect student‘s theses.
University amends its own submission system to include an option for students to submit via PQDT.
Student sees the PQDT option, clicks ‚Agree‘ to the ProQuest agreement to send also to PQDT.
ProQuest ingests the theses into PQDT e.g. by FTP transmission.
How to submit to ProQuest – ETD Administrator
• Online tool for submission and transfer of theses• Student reviews and accepts author agreement.• Student determines usage rights and uploads• Approval by administrator / librarian• PDF sent to ProQuest – and to university repository, if appropriate.• Register under http://www.etdadmin.com/cgi-bin/main/sitesetup
Спасибо за внимание!
For further information and to discuss the partnership to increase dissemination of PhD and Masters theses, please contact:
Dissertations & Theses, Central & Eastern Europe
+49 170 2737168