market problem matrix - pcatx13 presentation
out of 18
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONProduct managers need to be market driven. When you're being driven by customers, problems, and competitors, you need a tool which brings all of your insights together to help drive holistic decision making. I use a Market Problem Matrix to create that view to develop insights and drive conversations.
- Market Problem Matrix A tool I use to be more market driven
- Scott Sehlhorst Product management & strategy consultant 8 Years electromechanical design engineering IBM, Texas Instruments, Eaton 7 Years software development & requirements > 20 clients in Telecom, Computer HW, Heavy Eq., Consumer Durables 9 Years product management consulting >20 clients in B2B, B2C, B2B2C, ecommerce, global, mobile Agile since 2001 Started Tyner Blain in 2005 Helping companies Build the right thing, right tynerblain.com/blog/ @sehlhorst if youre into that sort of thing
- Failure Mode Risk Map http://www.slideshare.net/ssehlhorst /20130322why-do-products-fail-isa
- Market Driven Product Management Building a strategy & planning a product based on To whom should we be selling What is important to them How good we are and how good we will be How good will the competition is and will be
- Market Problem Matrix A tool which is the evolution of, and repurposing of the old Harvey ball charts weve seen for years.
- Start with a Harvey Ball Chart Harvey balls are coarse I like a 1-10 Scale
- Inform Decisions, Dont Keep Score Where we are today is mildly interesting Where we expect to be after the roadmap is executed is very interesting
- Beauty, In The Beholders Eye Who are our target customers? And how much does each group care about each capability?
- We Could Just Stop Here And be better than most teams Ive seen: Accountability in roadmap Plan based on future competitive landscape Acknowledge that all customers are different But lets keep going anyway
- Important Customers Some markets are more important* than others *to successfully executing a particular strategy
- Time To Choose Can you try and win for a single customer group? Or are you forced to try and focus on everyone because every customer has a champion? *Hint: you meet your sales forecast by closing one deal at a time
- If You Are Fortunate You have a single customer group, and you are able to focus on what matters most to them
- If You Are in a Typical Company You have to try and be all things to all people. You also have to bias towards the most important customers. Heres some fake math to help tell the story 1. Multiply the importance of customer value with the importance to customer values. 2. Add them up, to get a normalized importance of capability measure
- 1. Multiplying The math should bias towards investment in the capabilities of greatest interest to the most important customers
- 2. Normalizing Does the bulk of your investment (by capability) match the importance (by capability) to your market?
- Market Problem Matrix We now are looking at the following things at the same time: Which customers are important What those customers care about Expected future competitive position
- Thanks very much! @sehlhorst
View more >
Industrial Marketing - BCG Growth-Share Matrix 5 1.5 GE 9 Cell Matrix 7 1.6 Growth Strategies 8 1.6.1 Market Penetration 9 1.6.2 Market Development
Matrix of Secondary Market (FHA, VA, Fannie Mae, Freddie ...apps. Matrix of Secondary Market (FHA, VA,…
Matrix of Secondary Market (FHA, VA, Fannie Mae, of Secondary Market (FHA, VA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac)…
State Covariances and the Matrix Completion Problem mihailo/papers/ · State covariances and the matrix…
MATRIX MATRIX Owner System Type Faction Black Market Minor Major Battlefield Industrial (MFG) Industrial
The matrix completion problem regarding various classes orion.math. ?· The matrix completion problem…