out of 71
Post on 17-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- MetaGame Design! Reward Systems that Drive Engagement! Amy Jo Kim CEO, Shufebrian!
- What is a Metagame?
- Using out-of-game info or resources ! to affect in-game decisions! Gaming denition!
- Layering an rewards system onto an existing activity
- Metagames are Everywhere
- Collecting! Complete Collections Gain Status, Access, $$!
- Behavior Chart! Collect Stickers Earn Privilege or Prize!
- Karate! Develop Skill Earn Rank, Prestige, Powers
- Scouting! Complete Tasks Earn Badges, Rank, Prestige, Powers
- Frequent Flyer Programs! Spend Money Earn Points Redeem for Flights
- Arcade! Spend Money Earn Points Redeem for Items
- Text RPG! Complete Missions Earn Points Redeem for Items
- Contest/Raffle Take Action MAYBE Win Item
- Contest/Raffle Take Action Maybe Win Item
- Tournament! Play Sport Enter Tournaments Earn Ranking/Trophies! Leagues & Teams are part of this!
- Tournament! Play Sport Enter Tournaments Earn Ranking/Trophies!
- So how do you design a Metagame?
- Metagame Design Framework Viral Outreach Feedback & Rewards Points
- Metagame Engagement Loop Post updates, give gifts, send taunts Get feedback, earn rewards Take actions, earn points
- Step 1: Assign points to actions Viral Outreach Feedback & Rewards Points Act React Customize Create Earn Spend
- Which ACTIONS earn points?
- Which REACTIONS earn points?
- 3 Types of points 1) Experience Points (XP) - earned directly via players actions - track & reward socially/economically useful player actions 2) Skill Points (Score, Rank) - earned via interacting with the system - based on mastery of the activity or game 3) Influence Points (Rating, Reputation) - earned via the actions of other players - proxy for quality/reputation/influence - track & reward socially valuable contributions & actions
- Is your points system tracking skill, experience, or both?
- Is your points system assigning ratings to people or objects?
- Can you Spend your points?
- Step 2: Add Feedback & Rewards Viral Outreach Feedback & Rewards Levels Points Leaderboards Roles Reputation Missions Challenges Achievements Collections
- Levels are shorthand for participation and achievement
- Leaderboards identify, motivate and reward your most devoted players
- Social Leaderboards drive competition and enable missions
- Leaderboards can cause problems - dont be afraid to remove/hide/change
- Missions tell players what to do next!
- Mission-driven engagement loop Post updates, give gifts, send taunts Accept Mission Get feedback, earn rewards Update Mission List Take actions, earn points
- Reputation and Ratings track quality/skill + motivate contributions!
- Achievements provide short-term goals + sense of progression!
- Motivate newbies with easy-to-earn rewards!
- Motivate power-users with scarce resources!
- Motivate contributors with a rating system!
- Step 3: Grow through Viral Outreach Viral Outreach Updates Gifts Feedback & Sharing Rewards Invites Points
- What are the social moments in your game?
- Competition Bragging, Taunting, Challenging
- Cooperation Sharing, Helping, Gifting
- Self-Expression Check out my character/outfit/farm/page
- Case Study: Farmville
- XP + coins earned by completing tasks
- Customize your character
- purchase seeds
- Plant & Harvest Crops
- Help Neighbors
- Design & Develop Your Farm
- Buy exclusive items with $$$
- Tutorial introduces pts, levels, rewards
- Earn coins, level up, buy more stuff
- Leaderboards facilitate social interactions
- Achievements come early & often
- Achievements displayed as collections
- Achievements displayed as collections
- Help your neighbors, then brag about it
- Many opportunities for self-expression
- Gifting pulls people into the game
- Case Study: Stack Overflow Technical Q&A site w/crowd-sourced moderation
- Ask/answer good questions to build Reputation!
- Leaderboards for Reputation score!
- Earn badges by performing basic site tasks!
- Question: why no viral outreach?!
- 5 Tips for Designing a Compelling Metagame! 1. Create a coherent experience that unfolds over time
- 5 Tips for Designing a Compelling Metagame! 1. Create a coherent experience that unfolds over time 2. Define a points system (XP, social pts, redeemable pts) that supports your purpose and audience
- 5 Tips for Designing a Compelling Metagame! 1. Create a coherent experience that unfolds over time 2. Define a points system (XP, social pts, redeemable
View more >