mobile commerce in messaging apps - wechat: what one billion people know and you don't
Embed Size (px)
WeChat: What One Billion People Know and You Don’t
MOBILE COMMERCE IN MESSAGING APPS
Wechat - an app you’ve never heard of
It’s more than a social messaging app. It’s a complete m-commerce ecosystem.
According to PBOC data, 2013 saw a total of $1.67 billion mobile payments in 2013. Total transaction value reached a $1.6 trillion (CNY
ONE APP TO RULE THEM ALL1.1 billion accounts; 600 million active users
60% open the app 10x a day1 in 5 set up for WeChat Payments
WECHAT IN EVERYDAY LIFE COLLABORATION AT WORK
Meeting in 5
• Group chat instead of Email
• Switch between phone and desktop for messaging
WECHAT IN EVERYDAY LIFEWECHAT WALLET
• Bill pay: utilities, credit card• Purchases: movies, taxies, air
tickets• Money transfers: splitting bills,
send money to friends. Only need their WeChat ID.
• Financial Investments: buy and sell stocks
• “Lucky Money”: free $$$
WECHAT IN EVERYDAY LIFEENTERTAINMENT & NEWS
• News Outlets: spreading news • Publishers: publish content.
Content can be video, audio or text
• Celebrities: short update or long update
• Brands: communicating with target audience
WECHAT IN EVERYDAY LIFELOYALTY PROGRAMS
• Offer a VIP card through the app
• Send promotions
• Give e-coupons that they can exchange in stores
WECHAT IN EVERYDAY LIFEFITNESS TRACKING
• Counting steps - daily count and cumulative total
• Compete with friends and stay motivated
WECHAT FOR BRANDS
• Add friends: supersize your fries for free
• Big Mac Rap: use audio to engage with customers
• Membership cards: enjoy discounts
“Refreshing Songs” Campaign: Starbucks asks followers “how are you feeling today?” and then sends them songs that match the mood.
• Runway experience: audio commentary offered by Chinese celebrities.
• Personalized membership cards: virtual plaque engraved with the names of all people who sent them a message