Mobile UX: Effective Onboarding for Mobile Apps
out of 46
Post on 07-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Mobile UX: Effective Onboarding for Apps Mobile DC Full Stack DC Startup Central
- 2. Giveaways!!!! Follow @mobile_district JetBrains IDE Licenses IntelliJ, WebStorm, RubyMine Tweet hashtag: #mobiledc
- 3. Agenda 7:00-7:30 - Networking 7:30-8:30 - Presentation 8:30-9:00 - Q&A 9:00-10:00 - Drinks @ The Post Bar
- 4. Our Sponsors
- 5. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design.
- 6. Pivotal Labs provides expertise in three competencies equally crucial to delivering the best product: design, development and product management. Integrating these roles is a key part of our agile process. This cross-functional collaboration between designers, developers and product managers brings out the best features, design and product.
- 7. Movel offers enterprise mobile solutions for financial services, healthcare, non- profit and government clients, delivering top app performance, user experience and ironclad cybersecurity.
- 8. Job seekers Recruiters Meetup organizers Upcoming hackathons Community Announcements
- 9. Upcoming Events Mobile Security Jun 25, 2015 OpenGovHub, Washington, DC Startup Pitch Night Jun 22, 2015 OpenGovHub, Washington, DC
- 10. Coming Up Soon Building Xamarin Apps for Apple Watch
- 11. We Need You! Mobile DC is looking for speakers, authors, and tutorial makers to present next time. @mobile_district
- 12. Levent Gurses @gursesl A person (alive, dead, undead, or fictional).
- 13. Agenda Intro App Demos Design Q & A
- 14. App Demos
- 15. Key Takeaways Onboarding = Money Know your numbers Confirm your hypotheses with A/B tests Onboarding requires a multidisciplinary team Best time for onboarding design Rough idea - beginning of the project Finished flow - end of the project
- 16. Why Are We Here? User Experience a defining factor in apps success App Onboarding a critical piece of overall user experience
- 17. Data point By 2016, mobile projects targeting smartphones and tablets will outnumber native PC projects by a ratio of 6-to-1. * Source: Gartner
- 18. What is Onboarding? Opportunity to make a great first impression Summary of core values Executive summary of an app Demonstration of interesting features Opportunity for conversions
- 19. In a single word... Onboarding = Money
- 20. Effective Onboarding generates: Better user engagement More in-app purchases Better reviews in the app store, which leads to Increased sales in the app store Deeper social media coverage, outside the app store Why is this important? Because app discoverability is a big issue, so outside coverage is always wanted
- 21. But... Dont Take My Word Because I am Biased
- 22. Measure it for yourself.
- 23. Many apps begin their NUX (new user experience) with a navigation or functionality tour, which come in all sorts of formats and flavors. Figure out which format works best for your app, by measuring it.
- 24. Metrics to track: Near-term engagement - first 10 days Sign-ups Number of carousel swipes before registration and engagement through the tour flow Taps on skip buttons Social sign-on vs. email
- 25. In summary... Know your numbers
- 26. A/B split testing Create three variants of your app First, with no onboarding - this will be your baseline Second version - with onboarding scenario 1 Third version - with onboarding scenario 2 Optimizely - mobile A/B testing platform
- 27. Randomize onboarding scenarios and track along with user sign ups and attrition When you reach a statistically significant data pool, quantify the true value of onboarding Remember the extra benefits that cant be easily quantified Good user karma Evangelist users Better app store reviews Increased sales because of better reviews Better social media coverage (mentions, blog posts) Increased sales due to user-generated content A/B split testing
- 28. Said in another way... Confirm your assumptions
- 29. Onboarding showcase
- 30. Onboarding patterns Show me the future - SigFig Interactive, feature-driven onboarding - Noted Benefits-based onboarding - Spring Screenshots vs. stock images - Airbnb Demonstrating features - Clear, Mailbox Beginning vs. inside the app - Spring Animations, engagement - Flickr, Carousel Voice and video - Facebook Paper
- 31. How to design an Onboarding scenario
- 32. Mobile analytics Focus groups Industry trends Wheres the dropout? At what rate? When do users take the desired action (goal) After a notification? After a particular screen? After a data event? 1 RESEARCH
- 33. Product Management UX Engineering Design Marketing Advertising 2 ASSEMBLE THE RIGHT TEAM
- 34. Wireframes - Balsamiq, Cacoo Mockups - Sketch, Affinity Designer Prototype - Framer, AppGyver Composer, Ionic Creator, Polymer Designer 3 BUILD A WORKING PROTOTYPE
- 35. CACOO
- 36. POLYMER DESIGNER
- 37. FRAMER
- 38. IONIC CREATOR
- 39. Hypothesis Test data Metrics and methodology 4 CREATE VARIATIONS
- 40. Internal testers - company resources External testers - www.usertesting.com 5 TEST WORKING PROTOTYPE
- 41. Randomized sequence of scenarios Analyze real-time data Metrics and analytics 6 PERFORM A/B TESTS
- 42. Sign-up rates Engagement Scenario abandonment 7 MONITOR USER BEHAVIOR Repeat usage App store reviews External data links (social media, blogs)
- 43. Best time to think about onboarding Onboarding is the executive summary of a mobile app At the beginning of the project? At the end of the project?
- 44. In closing... Onboarding = Money Know Your Numbers Each App is Different Experiment Until You Find A Formula That Works For Your App
- 45. Thank you @gursesl
- 46. Resources http://www.movel.co http://uxarchive.com/tasks/onboarding http://www.mobile-patterns.com/sign-up-flows http://www.mobile-patterns.com/walkthroughs https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=mobile%20onboarding http://www.usertesting.com https://polymer-designer.appspot.com http://ionicframework.com/creator http://www.appgyver.com/composer http://framerjs.com http://www.movel.co/events/mobile-prototyping-ux http://www.movel.co/events/effective-onboarding-design-for-mobile-apps
View more >