OGT Scavenger Hunt - Troy City Scavenger Hunt Part II Mr. Westfall’s World Studies. ... in the U.S.S.R., what were ... OGT Scavenger Hunt Author: westfall-j
Post on 09-Mar-2018
OGT Scavenger HuntPart II
Mr. WestfallsWorld Studies
1. In what ways did the Treaty of Versailles establish conditions that
led to the outbreak of World War II?
Germany Accept war guilt, pay war reparations, give up colonies and disarm
Led to the rise of dictators such as Hitler
2. What was the Bolshevik revolution?
A Marxist Communist Revolution in Russia to overthrow the Autocratic Czar
Led by VI Lenin
3. Explain the reasons for the division of Palestine by the U.N. resolution in
1947. Palestine was divided for
a Jewish homeland after WWII
Was a plan to resolve the Arab-Israeli conflict
4. What were the names of the two opposing Chinese leaders in the
Chinese Communist Revolution?Mao Zedong
Leader of the Communist forces
Chiang Kia-Shek Leader of the
5. The United States, Canada and western European allies formed the North
Atlantic Treaty Organization in 1949 to aid any member nation at a time of war. What was the communist answer to this
treaty and who was involved?
Warsaw Pact Soviet Union, Poland, Germany, Czech and Hungary
6. Name three of the six new technologies and practices of warfare used in World War I.
Trench warfare, gas, machine gun, tanks, airplane, long range artillery
7. What impact did the Russian Revolution have on World War I?
Weakened the Allies due to the Russian withdraw
Two front to a One Front war
8. What country was carved up after World War I into the countries of
Yugoslavia, Austria, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia?
9. The death of Vladimir Lenin led to the rule of Joseph Stalin (
) in the U.S.S.R., what were some of the tactics used by Stalin to maintain his control over the Soviet
purges and secret police
10. Define and explain the global impact of disarmament, worldwide depression, and the rise of totalitarian states after
World War I.
11. Which presidents were in office during World War I and World War
FDR & Truman
12. What was the relationship between the Vietnam War and the Cold War?
13. What event finally pushed the allies to declare war on Hitler and the Nazis, to
prevent their conquest of Europe?
Invasion of Poland
14. Other than the use of atomic weapons, name and explain two of
the other five consequences of World War II.
Cold War United Nations Marshall Plan Partition of Israel
15. Give an example of the conflict between security and democracy
that the U.S. faced after 1945.
Red Scare Counter-Culture
16. At the end of World War II the Soviet Union liberated the countries
of Eastern Europe from Nazi Germany. How did the occupation
of these countries contribute the development of the Cold War?
Iron Curtain fed into the fear of the spread of communism
17. Other than militarism name two of the other three causes of World War I.
M ilitarism A lliances I mperialism N ationalism
18. Explain the importance of the Marshall Plan with relation to the
Cold War. Provided aide
to war torn European nations to prevent the spread of communism
19. Define dtente and describe the treaty that resulted from this policy.
Improved relations between the US and the Soviet Union
SALT Strategic Arms Limitation Talks
20. What was Neville Chamberlains policy toward Hitler and his desire
for the expansion of Germany? British Prime Minister believed the policy of
Appeasement. is a policy of accepting the imposed conditions of an
aggressor in lieu of armed resistance, usually at the sacrifice of principles
My good friends, for the second time in our history, a British Prime Minister has returned from Germany bringing peace with honor. I believe it is peace for our time. Neville Chamberlain, 1938
21. What factors led to the rise of dictatorships in former colonies?
Former military occupation was what they were used to.
22. What were the major reasons for the fall of the Soviet Union?
Glasnost = openness Churches opened Political prisoners
released Banned authors
allowed to publish books
Ok for reporters to criticize officials
Perestroika = economic Managers of
farms and factories could make more decisions on their own
People could open small private businesses
Tried to preserve communism
Democratization Gradual opening
of the political system
Election of a new group of lawmakers
Communist Party no longer chose all candidates
Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev
23. What incident in Cuba was embarrassing to the U.S. and resulted in the Soviets placing
missiles 90 miles off the coast of Florida?
Bay of Pigs
24. Name two ethnic conflicts in the Post-Cold War era?
Rwanda Bosnia Iraq
25. Identify two causes of the Great Depression.
Bank failure Easy credit Buying stocks on margin Stock market crash