open federal content & data at the cdc and fda ctp (oscon 2014)
out of 39
Post on 21-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONLearn how the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Tobacco Products (FDA CTP) are approaching the open data initiative by opening their federal content for syndication by developers. The massive data stores of the CDC and FDA are now being made available through open APIs that allow developers to access and present this wealth of content across third party sites. This presentation was made by Eric Davis and Steven Meloan of Forum One, and Thom Williams of the CDC at the 2014 Open Source Convention (OSCON).
- CDC and FDA CTP Open Federal Content and Data July 20, 2014
- The Big Picture
- Digital Government Strategy Big Picture On May 23, 2012, the President issued a directive entitled Building a 21st Century Digital Government, launching a comprehensive federal-level Digital Government Strategy. Among other goals, this initiative seeks to: Provide an increasingly mobile workforce with access to high-quality digital government information and servicesanywhere, anytime, and on any device. Unlock the power of government data to spur innovation across the Nation and improve the quality of services for the American people.
- Why We Are Here Big Picture As part of the Digital Government Strategy, our team seeks to: Raise awareness of health related federal digital assets. Determine interests, needs, and focus within such communities. Cross-pollinate with open data developer communities focused on healthcare. Help to facilitate partnerships and initiatives between such communities and federal health agencies.
- Weather, Localization, and More Big Picture Some of the most ubiquitous (and profitable) digital services used today are built upon open government data. NOAA datasets are used by Weather.com/Weather Channel, and Weather Underground. Weather-related data collected by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association provide annual estimated private sector economic value of $10 billion. Annual economic value of data from the U.S. Global Positioning System is estimated at approximately $90 billion.
- Digital Health Data/Content Big Picture Digital federal health offerings span a compelling range from syndicated content (including web, video, images, and infographics), to traditional programmatically accessible numerical data. Syndicated content (via pre-packaged API calls) provides the ability to seamlessly layer local, state, and federal information within a single page, increase content offerings, and decrease staff/resource demands. Such content is easily added to mobile apps and social media pages.
- When Only Data Will Do... Big Picture For some needs, nothing replaces raw data--that can be massaged, mashed-up, and interpreted as needed. A wealth of currently available federal health datasets--accessible via RESTful interfaces, and via web-based technologies like Socrata.
- Configurable, Downloadable Big Picture Federal data sites offer data that is: Configurable and viewable online. Downloadable (CSV, JSON, XML, PDF, etc.). Programmatically accessible via Socrata and CKAN APIs. Programmatically accessible via federal API.
- Content Syndication
- Content Syndication How To Access...
- Why Content Syndication? Content Syndication Growing digital and social media content offerings (web, images, infographics, podcasts, video, data, and more), anticipating both current and future initiative needs. Credible, timely, and science-based information from a trusted health information partner. Fast and easy discovery and incorporationfreeing-up staff resources. Maintains native-site look-and-feel, allowing for easy blending with local content. Keeps customers on local site, rather than linking to external web pages. Automatically updated and kept current.
- Proven Results... Content Syndication As part of a major upgrade/redesign of their departmental web site, Union County Health Department of Ohio has made extensive use of syndicated federal content. http://www.uchd.net UCHDs metrics on their site, logged before and after incorporating federal health content, demonstrated significant results: 26% increase in page views 18% increase in site visits 12% increase in average visit duration 19% decrease in bounce rate (those leaving after only viewing the front page)
- Syndication Sites Content Syndication Available federal and state syndication sites:
- Local Syndication Content Syndication Note on the previous slide, the inclusion of a state-level syndication site
- Common Look Content Syndication Note the common look and feel between a federal-level syndication site, and the previous ODH state-level site...
- Your Own Syndication Site Content Syndication Ohio Department of Health uses the same software technology as numerous federal syndication sites: Enabling ODH to provide their own state content to city and county health departments, providing for seamless layering of local, state, and federal content and information. Federal syndication software facility available in either Java or .NET instances on the HHS Digital Media API Platform SourceForge repository. http://sourceforge.net/projects/contentservices/
- Data Repositories
- Data Driven Offerings Data Repositories There is also a wealth of more traditionally data-driven federal health repositories. HealthData.gov offers: Wide array of downloadable datasets. Searchable by category. Available in a variety of data formats. At granularity levels such as county and zip code. CKAN-driven catalog API: www.healthdata. gov/catalog-api
- Diverse Datasets Data Repositories Sample federal-level hospital comparison dataset (care, mortality, and readmission quality measures)--available via programmatic API, and in downloadable CSV format.
- Data.CDC.gov--Socrata Data Repositories Socrata-driven datasets covering a broad range of health topics. Web-configurable displays--filterable by such criteria as year and region. Viewable in varying formats (bar, graph, pie chart). Downloadable in varying data formats (CSV, JSON, XML, PDF, etc.). Programmatically accessible via the Socrata Open Data API (SODA).
- Open.FDA.gov Data Repositories The Food and Drug Administrations newly- created OpenFDA initiative seeks to open the departments massive data stores to easy and programmatic accessibility. The initiative is currently focused on: Adverse Drug Events--A database of over 3 million adverse event reports. Recalls (coming soon)--Enforcement report and product recalls data. Documentation (coming soon)-- Structured product labeling data.
- OpenFDA on the Move... Data Repositories OpenFDA was built by developers, for developers, using open standards. The project offers APIs, raw data downloads, documentation, and examples: github.com/FDA/openfda. OpenFDA data and APIs are already being utilized in the market: Epidemicos MedWatcher mobile app (medwatcher.org) tracks and reports side-effects of drugs, medical devices, and vaccines, and now integrates OpenFDA adverse event data into its offerings. Social Health Insights web app (openfda.socialhealthinsights.com) offers searchable desktop access into FDAs adverse event data.
- Youth Risk Data Data Repositories While not yet API-accessible, CDCs web- driven Youth Online: High School YRBS (Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance) demonstrates the power of granular and localizable federal health data: Filterable by state, age, gender, etc. Filterable by such youth related health topics as tobacco use, alcohol use, diet, sexual behavior, and more. Configurable display--table/graph. http://nccd.cdc. gov/youthonline/App/Default.aspx
- Localizable Flu Data Data Repositories While not yet API-accessible, CDCs FluView site similarly demonstrates the power of granular, localizable, configurable, and downloadable federal health data: National and regional level flu dashboard. Configurable and filterable data, statistics, displays, and graphs. Downloadable images and downloadable data. http://gis.cdc. gov/grasp/fluview/fluportaldashboard.html
- Wealth of Content and Data Data Repositories Federal digital health content and data already spans a wide range of offerings: Web content Ecards Podcasts RSS Images Buttons Widgets Video Infographics Numerical Data
- The New HHS Digital Media Platform Data Repositories New HHS Digital Media Platform (the software/API that powers federal syndication sites) offers: Vastly expa
View more >
Training Partners. Agenda CTP Certification Program CTP Target Market Official CTP Courseware Official CTP Classroom Guide Official CTP E-Learning
?· Boob Plan book 98 CTP 1961 CTP 1963 CTP 2035 CTP 2036 on CTP 1390 qecoTd CTP 1404 ORDER ONLINE ...…