physically fit, spiritually alive
out of 11
Post on 31-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. 1 Timothy 4:7-8Physically Fit, Spiritually Alive Thanks To Mark Copeland
- 2. Text7 But refuse profane and old wives fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
- 3. This is How Little Girls Do IT
- 4. This is HowBig Men Do It
- 5. This isHowChrisDoes It
- 6. Bodily Exercise DOES PROFIT A LITTLE... Makes for a well-rounded development - Lk 2:52 Enhances the use of our "instruments of righteousness" (bodies) - Ro 6:12-13 Extends the time we can glorify God - 1Co 6:19-20 -- There is some value for a healthy routine of physical exercise DOES HAVE LIMITATIONS... Beauty is deceitful - Pr 31:30 Attraction can be incongruous - Pr 11:22 Strength will eventually fail - 2Co 4:16 Physical exercise alone cannot meet all our needs, and will eventually fail us Paul speaks of another exercise , which those concerned with true fitness do well to consider...
- 7. Godly Exercise DOES HAVE PROMISE FOR THE LIFE THAT NOW IS... Daily renewal for the inner man - 2Co 4:16 True peace, joy, and hope - Ro 14:17; 15:13 Winsome personality - Ga 5:22-23 Extended family - Mk 10:28-30 These are wonderful benefits that godly exercise offers in this life! DOES HAVE PROMISE FOR THE LIFE TO COME... Eternal life in the age to come - Mk 10:28-30 Everlasting fellowship with God - Re 21:1-7 Here is where godly exercise truly excels over bodily exercise!
- 8. Maintaining a Healthy BalanceWHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT...? In expenditure of time? Some health officials recommend exercising 30 minutes a day Do we spend an equivalent amount of time in prayer, Bible study, or service to God? In expenditure of energy? Physical fitness often requires a great expenditure of effort Are we willing to make similar efforts in our service to God? Do we spend as much time and energy exercising ourselves unto godliness as we do engaging in various forms of bodily exercise? - 2Co 4:16-5:1
- 9. Maintaining a Healthy BalanceWHICH COMES FIRST...? When conflicts arise? Sport events or exercise routines often conflict with duties to God Do we have the same convictions as our parents had? When time is limited? We only have so much time If we must cut back on some activity, will be it a spiritual or physical one? Do we have our priorities straight, is our emphasis properly placed? - Mt 6:33
- 10. Conclusion Whether young or old, physical fitness has a place in our lives as Christians... Taking care of our bodies, temples of the Holy Spirit Making good use of our bodily members as instruments of righteousness Improving the quality and length of service we can offer the Lord in this life But physical fitness without godly exercise is vanity... The outer man will eventually fail us The inner man is the true measure of character and spirituality
View more >