portraits have been done throughout time. before the days of the camera, portraits were done to...
out of 14
Post on 27-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Portraits have been done throughout time. Before the days of the camera, portraits were done to document how people actually looked. Artists traditionally have done self-portraits representing their own image in a way they choose. Portraits have also been done in ways to show emotion or feeling. Some artists have even simplified the human face into simple shapes and lines. Today we will look at several very famous portrait done by very famous artists to get a sample of the many forms of portraits that exist.
- Slide 4
- This portrait was done by Leonardo DaVinci during the time of the Renaissance. He lived in Italy, was born in 1452 and died in 1519. Can you name this famous portrait?
- Slide 5
- Who is this a portrait of? The artist who did this portrait was American Gilbert Stuart.(b. 1755- d.1828) He did over 1,000 portraits including portraits of the first six presidents of the United States.
- Slide 6
- Mary Cassatt is famous for her portraits of mothers and children. She was an American who chose to live in Europe. She was born in 1844 and died in 1926.
- Slide 7
- George Catlin, an American artist, sought to capture images of a dying Native American people. His portraits capture the beauty and essence of the Native American culture.
- Slide 8
- Vincent Van Gogh is one of the most famous artists of all time. This is one of his self-portraits. He uses bright colors and a lot of texture in his paintings. Where do you see texture in this painting?
- Slide 9
- This portrait was done By Norwegian artist Edvard Munch. This portrait is painted in such a way to show emotions. This style of painting is called Expressionist Painting. What emotions do you see in this mans face?
- Slide 10
- Pablo Picasso is the most famous artist of the 20 th century. He redefined art by using abstract shapes viewing objects from more that view at one time in one painting. His style of art is known as Cubist art. Picasso was born in Spain in 1881 and he died in1953. What emotion do you think this person is feeling?
- Slide 11
- In this portrait, the human face is reduced to the simplest forms and painted in warm hues. What warm hues do you see in this portrait? The artist, Paul Klee, was born in Switzerland and became famous during the 1920s.
- Slide 12
- This portrait is of a very famous movie star of the past? Do you know who it is? Andy Warhol created this portrait by using printing methods used in commercial art. He developed a style of art known as Pop Art during the 1960s. How many colors did he use in this Portrait?
- Slide 13
- This portrait was done by artist Chuck Close. Chuck Close is known for creating very large portraits using grids or dots. He adapted this technique from printed images we see in magazines. He is an American painter who was born in the state of Washington in 1940.
- Slide 14
- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb /8/85/Autoportrait_de_Vincent_van_Gogh.JPG/492px- Autoportrait_de_Vincent_van_Gogh.JPG http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nevadaart.org /assets/exhibit/marilyn_72dpi_color.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ne vadaart.org/exhibitions/exhibition_display.php%3Fid%3D73&h=2 99&w=300&sz=56&hl=en&start=23&um=1&tbnid=9la- wpeXvTxhPM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Da ndy%2Bwarhol%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D1 0%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Gilbert-Stuart/George-Washington- Print-C10032257.jpeg
- Slide 15
- http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_29.100.48.jpg http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.portr aitsasjazz.com/Images/Paintings/63- Picasso2LG.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.portraitsasjazz.co m/P-25-63Picasso2-- LG.htm&h=500&w=395&sz=26&hl=en&start=170&tbnid =UDy3AghAY0qPNM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=103&prev=/im ages%3Fq%3Dpicasso%2Bportraits%26start%3D160%26 gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3De n%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN http://www.paceprints.com/contemporary/close_c/images/close- lyle_172-065.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c /George_Catlin_001.jpg/493px-George_Catlin_001.jpg
View more >
STONINGTON PORTRAITS: A Seafaring Saga ?· STONINGTON PORTRAITS: A Seafaring Saga "STONINGTON PORTRAITS:…