ppt on expanded role of nurse
out of 64
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- International trends in nursing Health needs of society Awareness of health needs Economic condition New development New knowledge & procedures through research Specialization
- Opportunities & education abroad Increase Industrialization Expansion of community health services Government support to health programs Increased private nursing homes Necessary military services & activity Development of nursing research
- 1) CARE GIVER :- Care giving role The art & science of nursing Set the goals & meet them
- Co-ordinate activities with other health team Manage their own time & resources Use critical thinking skills Make decisions & consult to professionals
- Maintain a safe environment Prevent injury Protect from adverse effects of treatment measures
- Protect clients human & legal rights Be a supporter Be a source of information
- Explore feelings & attitude about wellness Emotional, intellectual, psychological support Encourage towards alternative behavior Recognize choices & sense of control Therapeutic communicatio n skills Teach desired behavior
- Explain the concepts & factors of health Demonstrates the procedures Use 4 components of teaching:- - assessment - planning - implementation - evaluation
- A very crucial role. Quality of communication is a critical factor in meeting needs of client, family & community..
- Many professions make up the team involved in the care of the clients. Nurse collaborates with other team members when providing care to the clients.
- A nurse can be a good collaborator when:- knowledgeable good planner ( care) good communicator ( assessment)
- o Facilitates the well being , academic success & life long achievements of students. o School nurse develops programs that fosters: - Growth - Positive skills for successful coping - Knowledge & skills for self care - Positive attitude
- Its a specialty practice that provides for & delivers health & safety programs and services to workers, worker population,& community groups.
- Also known as Congregational health minister Emergency Nurse Faith Community Nurse Responds to health & wellness needs within the population of faith communities Are partners with the church in fulfilling mission of health ministry
- Health advocate Health educator Liaison to communty resources & referral agent
- Is a registered nurse specially trained in community health. Works in specific geographic areas. Has Knowledge about resources in her community.
- Care manager Referral resource Direct primary care giver Controller of communicabl disease Disaster preparedness
- Private duty nurse is a registered nurse or a licensed practical nurse who provide nursing services to patient at home or any other setting in accordance with physicians order.
- Not widely practiced because of very high cost Restricted to wealthy patients Common for retired nurses & valuable for their broad knowledge & experience
- She is the one who provides a family centered care and allows client to live and remain at home with comfort, independence & dignity.
- Pain & symptom control Spiritual care Family confernc Bereave- ment care
- Nurse who specializes in assisting persons with disabilities and chronic illness to attain optimal function, health & adapt to an altered life style.
- Move towards independence Work as part of multi disciplinary team Co-ordinate patients care Maintain function Prevent complicatns Patient education & counseling
- Also called as an INFECTION CONTROL NURSE , monitors standards & procedure for control & prevention of infectious diseases or nosocomial infections.
- Survey for outbreak of diseases Education on control of communicable diseases Provide ongoing in- service training on infection control Consultation to staff on various incidents Conduct research to determine risk factors leading to infections
- Also called army nurse / armed services nurse Provides care to military personnel Attractive salaries Security benefits
- Experience is vast Professional opportunities for:- - Personal development - Continuing education - Promotion
- CARE OF PATIENT WITH TRAUMA IN FLIGHT EVALUATES & REQUESTS APPROPRIATE MEDICATION & EQUIPMENT INITIATES EMERGENCY CARE IN FLIGHT IN ABSENCE OF PHYSICIANS
- Carries out telephonic communication with patient , thus providing response to medical care / treatment. Offers telephonic:- - Assessment - Evaluation - Referral / advise
- Provides access to health care for under- serviced urban population & remote areas. Facilitates home care of chronically ill.
- It is the adaptation of professional nursing skills in recognizing & meeting the nursing, physical, emotional, social, needs resulting from DISASTER.
- Is the one who is expected to be acquainted with the basics of forensic medicine so as to handle & preserve the evidentiary materials.
- Forensic nursing process Violence & victimology Injury identification, interpretation & documentation Criminalities & forensic science Nursing & law / legal interface
- Major impact of the development of fields of forensic nursing is its emphasizing on proper treatment of the victims of violence.
- Is a registered nurse who works in a prison. Employed directly by prison services or can spend part of their working week in prison health care.
- Deliver high quality care within custodial settings Maintain safe & secure environment Improve mental health & behavior or prisoners
- Aims at helping others from neutral standpoint. Relief to needy & suffering, during disaster Teaching home nursing to lay people. Teaching non- professionals in hospitals Giving direct care to sick & wounded.
- They keep the athletes & sports enthusiasts in optimum physical shape, and treat injuries if they occur.
- 1)ADVANCED PRACTICE NURSING:- Has a masters degree in nursing Certification & expertise in specialized area of practice Works in primary, acute & restorative care settings.
- SPECIALIZES IN AREAS SUCH AS:- Medical-surgical nursing Psychiatry and mental health nursing Pediatric nursing Community health nursing Gerontogic nursing
- CAN SPECIALISE IN SPECIFIC DISEASES:- Diabetes mellitus Cancer Cardiac problem
- CAN FUNCTION AS :- Expert clinician Direct care giver Educator Case manager Consultant Researcher
- Advanced training in anesthesiology Provides anesthesia under supervision of anesthesiologist in various settings.
- PROVIDES INDEPENDENT CARE FOR WOMEN DURING:- Pregnancy Labor Delivery Care of Newborn
- Gynaecological services:- PAP smears Family planning Treat minor vaginal infections
- General nursing practice Gerontologic nursing Perinatal nursing School of nursing Pediatric nursing Medical surgical nursing Community health nursing Psychiatric nursing
View more >