repurpose your suggtion system by david veech
Post on 04-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSuggestions from employees accelerate business improvement if they are used effectively. David Veech shares insights from his experience in dozens of companies. Published with permission from the author.
- 1. RE-PURPOSING YOUR SUGGESTION SYSTEM DAVID VEECH INSTITUTE FOR LEAN SYSTEMS Changing your tires 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 2. Some questions to start
- What are some of the things that really work well with your current suggestion system?
- Why do you think they work?
- What benefits does your company enjoy as a result?
- 3. Some questions to start
- What are some of the problems youre having with your suggestion system?
- Why do you think you are having these problems?
- What are you doing to correct these problems?
- 4. Some questions to start
- What is the stated purpose of your suggestion system?
- Is the system fulfilling that purpose?
- What should the purpose of a suggestion system really be?
- 5. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. These are key things we seek from our work. When these are missing from work, we seek them elsewhere, and limit the discretionary contributions we could be making at work. Making formal suggestions is a discretionary contribution.
- 6. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. These are also the major contributors to Satisfaction in life and at work.
- 7. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. But what makes something really meaningful?
- 8. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. Can a suggestion system bring Satisfaction to a workplace?
- 9. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 10. More questions
- Why do people participate in suggestion systems at work?
- What would drive them to fill out that form when they have an idea?
- 11. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- A persons judgment, based on perceptions and available information, of his or her ability to perform a particular task.
- This is a special type of confidence
- 12. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. Can a suggestion system build Self-Efficacy in an individual?
- 13. Mastery 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. But what is the key skill we need to focus on in building competence and confidence ?
- 14. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 15. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. All with learning and coaching and giving control to team members!
- 16. 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. First, lets look at a quick and easy problem solving process, and then well see what happens when this is our purpose?
- 17. C-4 Method Cause Concern Countermeasure Confirm 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 18. PDCA Roots 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. P D C A
- 19. Concern
- Describe the current situation
- What is happening to indicate a problem? (What are the symptoms)
- What standard is involved?
- Who discovered the problem
- Who is affected by the problem
- Who can help identify and solve the problem
- When does the problem occur? (Frequency? Particular patterns of occurrence?)
- Where does the problem occur? (Local? Global?)
- How does the problem affect the organization?
- How pervasive is the problem?
- 20. Cause: 5 Whys
- Beginning with the problem statement, ask Why is this true? Why did this happen?
- Answers must be factual (no I thinks)
- Answering may require specific research or experimentation to gather more data (reproduce the problem in a controlled environment)
- As you keep asking why, eventually, you will reach the true cause of the problem
- As a sanity/logic check, execute the process in reverse, using Therefore between each answer.
- 21. Countermeasure A countermeasure is an action which when taken will correct a problem at its root cause 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 22. Countermeasure 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 23. Confirm 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 24. Suggestion form
- Form should be designed to teach problem solving in a deliberate fashion
- Concern and Cause
- Remember the definition of a problem is that there is a gap between whats happening and some standard
- Countermeasures and analysis
- Include descriptions of new standards, implementation costs, benefits to the company, and the implementation plan
- Provide worksheets for various types of cost savings (energy, labor, etc.) with a summary on the form itself
- 25. C4 Card 2009, ILS. All rights reserved.
- 26. C4 Board 2009, ILS. All rights reserved. Ideas Aimed Armed Fire in the hole Confirm C4 Board Aimed = Approved for evaluation Armed = Being evaluated and planned Fire in the hole = Executing the implementation plan Confirm = Tracking results
- 27. Stages of development
- Stage one:
- Management should encourage and allow all suggestions no matter how simplistic, and no matter what work area is affected (two to five years)
View more >