research on famous photographer (timothy allen)
out of 31
Post on 19-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Timothy AllenResearch on Famous Photographer
- 2. Introduction An English photographer and filmmaker. After graduating from Leeds University, he was travelling in Indonesia for 3 years and found his passion in photography. Allen used to work in Sunday Telegraph, The Independent, and Axiom Photographic Agency In the beginning of 2009, he spent almost 2 years shadowing BBC film crews during the production of the landmark television series Human Planet
- 3. Reportage and Ethnographic Photography Timothy Allen is best known for his reportage and ethnographic photography. He takes a lot of photos of indigeneous people and isolated communities around the world. His popular documentary project is Human Planet that was produced by BBC. He travelled with 4 teams for over a year and a half in over forty countries around the world to cover the story about humans endeavour
- 4. The result of their documentary project was published in a best-selling BBC book. It was shown in an exhibition and used in the programs worldwide branding and publicity.
- 5. Style of Photography Allens photographs are largely ethno-photographic in style. He takes a lot of pictures of humans who are related to social culture. Most of them are indigeneous people who live in a village or lead their life in traditional way. Almost all of his photographs show very strong custom
- 6. Influence of Style Because of his strong point in ethnography photography, he has works in cinematography and multimedia production. That requires him to travel to every corner of the globe to discover more story about culture and custom of a society. For example, he has been to 19.000 ft up in Himalayas and 40 meters beneath the South China. He has been to a communities in the Arctic, tropical rainforest, and remote desert location as well.
- 7. Contribution In the field of photography, Timothy shows that photographers can tell information or story through their photographs. An image can show the viewers about what was happening in the picture. His photographs are quite good to become guide to another beginner travel/documentary photographer because he is able to reveal many culture heritage in this world and present it in interesting photographs.
- 8. Work Influence Through his work, he gives the viewers informations about a lifestyle from another society that have not been known in publicity. Since he can take those interesting photos, from the colour, compotition to concept, a lot of people are attracted to know more about informations or stories behind the photographs
- 9. Living In recent years, Timothy Allen work in BBC to shadow the BBCs production of Human Planet. The focus of his work has turned to worlds remaining indigenous societies and he currently devotes his time to documenting the diversity of humanitys cultural heritage Allen also writes a weekly blog for the BBC and documenting his work by photographing the world's indigenous societies for the documentary Human Planet
- 10. Special Technique When shooting people, Allen does not use long lens so much He uses fast, prime lenses Allen does not use auto exposure. He arranged the lighting that he wants himself.
- 11. What Does Distinguish Allens Work? His genre of photography is travel photography to reveals more about places around the world and attract the viewers to know more about the informations behind the photographs Allens photographs have very strong colour he captures bright and colorful colour and rarely uses black and white.
- 12. The photographs is not only showing the humans activities but most of his photograph has a concept in it The photographs is very sharp and usually there is one focus point in his photographs.
- 13. If we compare him to other travel photographer, for example Mitchell Kanashkevich , Allens work is more specific. Allen He has the very strong feeling about culture heritage and custom in photograph Kanashkevich takes every photograph that has human element. It could be interaction between people, people working, or custom and culture as well. Timothy Allens photograph Mitchell Kanashkevichs photograph
- 14. Some examples that show Timothy Allens style
- 15. Respond to Photographers Work Timothy Allen knows how to make his photograph interesting by using the correct angle, rule of thirds, point of interest, strong focus, and warm colour like red, yellow, etc to make his photographs become eye-catching. He put a concept in most of his photograph to make those photos like have a story The photographs are very sharp and in some photographs he show an obvious depth of field. He captures the images in correct perspective so we can get the feeling of the photographs
- 16. Timothy Allens Photographs Bajau sea gypsy breath diver, Tun Sakaran, Sabah, Malaysia
- 17. Depth of field : Deep We can see the background (the shape of the fish) clearly even though the details is not that obvious Composition point of interest and rule of thirds The diver is the point of interest since the fish are around him and the way Allen capture the diver is not exactly in the middle, but a little bit on the right of the photograph. Perspective Low angle The photo has an illusion as if we are looking under the fish and the diver. So we can see there is light that goes through the water on the top of the fish and the diver.
- 18. Contrast : Dark The contrast here can be considered dark because we can not see the details that obvious. Moreover, the fish on the background are only the silhouette. Colour : Cool Blue is the dominant colour here Portrait : Candid Allen took this photo without arranging the position of the objects first. Perhaps the diver did not even realize it when Allen took this photograph.
- 19. Timothy Allens Photographs Drinking mares milk. Blue River valley. Mongolia
- 20. Composition : Point of interest This photograph has only one point of interest. It is a girl who was drinking the milk. Perspective : Close up As we can see, Allen captured only the girls face part to the neck part. This way, we can see what the girl was drinking and her facial expression. Contrast : Low-key We can see only the front part of the girl and the rest that is around her is only dark shadow.
- 21. Colour : tone Allen made the bright colour (red, yellow, and blue) become very bright and clear while the black colour in the background is very dark. Light : Ambient The light is only focusing on the girl face and the milk while the background has no light at all. Hence, we can feel that there is only a little light in that room. Portrait : Pose In the photograph, the girl was looking at the camera and the lighting looked like it had been arranged before Allen took the photograph.
- 22. Timothy Allens Photographs Elder Kong Di at Ta Phrom, Angkor Wat. Cambodia
- 23. Depth of field : Deep We can see everything in this photograph looks sharp. Allen wanted to show that not only the monk is the focus but also the details of the building. Composition : Point of interest When we see this photograph, we will see directly into the monk in the middle since he wore a clothes that had different colour from his surroundings. Contrast : High-key The contrast in this photo makes the definition of the lines sharper so we can see that the detail is very clear.
- 24. Light : Diffuse The light looks like it comes from any direction. So it brighten up the whole photograph. We can see that there is no dark part in the photo. Even the details are bright and clear. Colour : Mood and cool The colour of this photograph has created an illusion that there is silence in that place. It is greenish as well. Portrait : Pose We can see that the monk is standing in front of the door while looking at the camera. It seemed that he realized that Allen was taking his picture.
- 25. Timothy Allens Photographs Inquisitive children in River Gee, Liberia
- 26. Depth of field : Deep In this photograph, the background (childrens faces) is as sharp as the legs that are in front of the background. This might happen because the background is not far from the leg. So there is no blur on the background. Composition : Background Although the faces is only a background, we can find that it makes the whole photograph become interesting. It looked like there is a story behind the photograph. Contrast : Light The photograph is bright enough and the definition of the line is not that strong. There is not much dark shadow in this photograph.
- 27. Light : Diffuse The light brighten the whole photograph as if it came not only from one direction. We can see that there is only a little bit shadow there. Colour : Warm This photograph shows that it was taken in the very bright afternoon as the colour is a bit yellowish and bright. Portrait : Candid It looks like there is an activity and movement when Allen took this Photograph. Because some of the children is doing another thing while the other was looking to the camera. It could be some of them were not ready when the photograph was taken.
- 28. Timothy Allens Photographs Tennis fans at Wimbledon. UK
- 29. Depth of field : Bokeh The focus part in this photograph is the face with green eyes. That area looks sharp and clear. On the other hand, the background is quite blur so we can not see anything behind the face. The other face in front of it looks blur as well. Composition : Rule of thirds and Point of interest Allen put the focus (face with green eyes) a little bit on the left. Another interesting part in this composition is the red cross in the middle. The line looks like it connects to each other although actually it does not. Once we take a l
View more >