rightscale roadtrip - accelerate to cloud
out of 38
Post on 20-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. New York Sept 18th 2013
- 2. #2# #rightscale! Todays Agenda! 1:303 Steps to Accelerate to CloudMichael Crandell, RightScale, CEORishi Vaish, RightScale, VP of Product 2:30Hybrid Cloud StrategiesJaret Chiles, Rackspace, Enterprise Cloud Solutions Architect! 2:45Real-World Stories from the Road to CloudLawrence Sica, ICAP, Cloud Architect 3:30Demo: Agility in a Cloud-Enabled EnterpriseClaudio Gentile, RightScale, Cloud Solutions Engineer 4:30Networking and Cocktails with the Experts
- 3. # #rightscale! 3 Steps to Accelerate to!
- 4. #4# #rightscale! 3 Steps to Accelerate Your Cloud! 1Get Out Your Map2Pick Your Destination3Plan a Route
- 5. # #rightscale! Get Out Your Map!
- 6. #6# #rightscale! Choice! The Rise of the Clouds
- 7. #7# #rightscale! What a Difference a Year Makes! Open Sourced Goes OpenStack Launched Adds Australia GA AprJunAugOctDecFebApr 2012! 2013! Launched Grizzly Released vCHS GA JunAug
- 8. #8# #rightscale! Hybrid Matures! All of the Above Single private 5% Single public 11% No plans 7% Multi-public 15% Multi-private 15% Hybrid cloud 47% Multi-cloud 77% Source: RightScale State of the Cloud Report 2013
- 9. #9# #rightscale! Evolution of Hybrid Architectures! App 1App 2 Public Cloud! App 3App 4 Private Cloud! From a Portfolio of Resource Pools App 2to a unied Resource Pool.
- 10. #10# #rightscale! Using! Cloud! Unlocks! Value
- 11. #11# #rightscale! Cloud Maturity Model! 8%! 17%! 26%! 23%! 26%! Source: RightScale State of the Cloud Report 2013 Cloud! Watchers! Cloud! Beginners! Cloud! Explorers! Cloud! Focused! No! Plans! Planning! First project! Apps running! Heavy use!
- 12. #12# #rightscale! Benets Grow! 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% Cloud Beginners Cloud Explorers Cloud Focused %ofRespondents Business continuity Higher performance Geographic reach IT staff efficiency Higher availability Faster time to market with apps Greater scalability Faster access to infrastructure 12 Source: RightScale State of the Cloud Report 2013
- 13. # #rightscale! Pick a Destination!
- 14. #14# #rightscale! What Business Value Do You Want?! Increase Enterprise Agility Drive Operational Efficiencies Expand Markets & Capabilities Increase Investment Flexibility Faster Time to Market Accelerate Innovation Fail (or Succeed) Fast Cut Infrastructure Costs Reduce Overprovisioning Increase IT Efficiency New Geographies New Capabilities Web-Scale Applications CapEX to OpEX Reduce sunk costs Reduce lock-in
- 15. #15# #rightscale! What Do You Need to Consider?!
- 16. #16# #rightscale! Modular building blocks Multi-tenant, high density Purpose-built systems Single-tenant, low density Benet: Pooled!
- 17. #17# #rightscale! Consideration: Consistency !Consistent performance & reliability Consistent utilization
- 18. #18# #rightscale! Benet: Accessible by Network & API! Designed for networked access Programmatic and extensible Designed for isolation Monolithic
- 19. #19# #rightscale! Consideration: Security ! Security outside the private network Heterogeneous APIs and behaviors
- 20. #20# #rightscale! Benet: On-Demand Self Service! Focus on wait, throughput Decentralized Focus on service level Centrally controlled
- 21. #21# #rightscale! Consideration: Waste! Simple, exible ordering Complex merchandising and procurement Self-service de-provisioning
- 22. #22# #rightscale! Benet: Elastic Scale and Ephemeral Use! Innitely scalable Sized to current use Capacity-bound Sized to peaks
- 23. #23# #rightscale! Consideration: Automation! Architectural rework Dynamic conguration Integrated monitors and orchestration
- 24. #24# #rightscale! Benet: Metered Pay-Per-Use! Opex Allocation based on usage Capex + Maintenance Allocation based on forecast
- 25. #25# #rightscale! Consideration: Tracking & Planning! Budgeting Chargeback Purchase options
- 26. #rightscale! #26# Why! Cloud! Management?!
- 27. #27# #rightscale! Our View of Cloud Management! A framework of tools to solve cloud challenges and increase your ability to enjoy cloud benets! Consistency and reliability of shared, commodity resources Secure access to a variety of remote, networked resources Self-service accessibility of an approved conguration menu Elastic, instantaneous scalability driven by automation! Usage transparency and optimization!
- 28. #28# #rightscale! The Core Cloud Management Toolset! Resource management Compute, network, storage Governance Policy management Identity and access management Usage and cost management Conguration Conguration management Service catalog License management Automation Resource monitoring and alerting Automated scaling and deployment orchestration
- 29. #29# #rightscale! What Does This Mean for Your Business?! 1. Combat complexity and stay organized 2. Respond quickly to customer and market demands 3. Spend less time reghting 4. Keep tabs on whats happening 5. Stay exible and portable 6. Focus on your core competencies
- 30. # #rightscale! Plot Your Route!
- 31. #31# #rightscale! Where to Start: Segment Your App Portfolio! Greeneld Designed for cloud Cloud-Ready Elastic Web Traditional Web architecture Elastic design Monolithic Legacy Traditional vendors ?
- 32. #32# #rightscale! Evaluating Applications for the Cloud! Business impact Should we put this app on the cloud? What benets will we get? Technical requirements Can we put this app on the cloud? How much will migration or build out cost? Choose the best ROI High business impact Appropriate technical requirements
- 33. #33# #rightscale! Business Impact: Framework Sample! App 1 App 2 App 3 App 4 App 5 Business Impact Fast time to market u u u u u Experimental u u u u u Demand fluctuation u u u u u Transitory/Time limited u u u u u Many instances u u u u u Many changes u u u u u DevOps/CI u u u u u New geographies u u u u u New capabilities u u u u u OpEX is desirable u u u u u
- 34. #34# #rightscale! Technical Fit: Framework Sample! App 1 App 2 App 3 App 4 App 5 Governance Factors Data Residency u u u u u Regulatory (PCI, HIPAA) u u u u u Security Requirements u u u u u Technical Requirements Load Balancer: Session Affinity u u u u u Application: Licensing u u u u u Cache: Persistent u u u u u Database: Working set size u u u u u Security: Egress filtering u u u u u
- 35. #35# #rightscale! Refactor Dont MigrateHold Off Quick Wins Rank Your Apps to Prioritize! App 9 App 7 App 2 App 3 App 5 App 1 App 4 App 8 App 6 BusinessImpact Technical Fit
- 36. #36# #rightscale! 4 Common Starting Points! Marketing Campaigns Mobile Apps Self Service Test & Dev Batch Processing
- 37. #37# #rightscale! Your Cloud Team: Org Implications! Create a cloud team with a mix of new and existing talent Evaluate existing processes, tools are only part of the story Focus on business drivers agility, efciency, new markets, opex
- 38. #38# #rightscale! A Cloud Itinerary! Lay out your cloud strategy Understand your Business Value Tracks Develop your goals, what you want to accomplish Determine how you will evaluate success Select applications and use cases based on ROI Start with the best, not the worst, technical t Align to meaningful business impact Favor greeneld and cloud-friendly applications Get started Stand up an application on a public cloud Run a POC private cloud Start using tools that will make scaling your cloud strategy easier
View more >