schaffer a facilities plan
Post on 11-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Autumn Schaffer Georgia Southern University Fall 2009 FRIT 7132 Facilities & Policies Plan Please view the accompanying website created by Autumn Schaffer at: http://aschaffer-facilitiesplan.weebly.com/index.html
- 2. Table of Contents
- Description & Demographics of Host School
- Original Floor Plans, Photographs & Description of Media Center
- Teachers and Students: Comments about Media Center
- Revised Floor Plans & Description of New Media Center
- Current Media Center Polices & Proposed Revisions of those Polices
- 3. I. Description of Host School * Lamar County Primary is located in Barnesville, Georgia. * It has won the Bronze Award for Highest Percentage of Students Meeting and Exceeding Standards. * LCPS has also met their AYP goal for the past six consecutive years. * Lamar County Primarys website can be located at: http://www.lamar.k12.ga.us/webpages/lcps/index.htm
- 4. I. LCPS Mission Statement To give students entrusted in our care a firm foundation filled with positive experiences on which they can build and become successful, lifelong learners.
- 5. I. LCPS Vision Statement We envision Lamar County Primary School as a school where every child is an enthusiastic , confident learner of basic knowledge who behaves responsibly and respectfully .
- 6. I. LCPS Belief Statements We believe that . . . * all children will be successful learners. * using data and developmentally appropriate activities will meet the needs of each individual student. * education is a partnership among school personnel, parents, students, and our community. * through setting and modeling high expectations, we will promote positive attitudes and a strong work ethic. * LCPS is a learning environment that is both motivational and enjoyable . To learn more about LCPS please visit: http://aschaffer-facilitiesplan.weebly.com/index.html
- 7. II. LCPS Media Center Floor Plan *LCPS current media center is located near the front of the building, along with the front office and cafeteria. *The media center currently functions on a fixed schedule where each kindergarten, 1 st grade, and 2 nd grade class visits the library as a whole group once a week. * In addition to this, however, 1 st and 2 nd grade students are allowed to visit the library two at a time during the times of 8:30- 2:30.
- 8. Lamar County Primary Schools Layout Front Parking Lot & Car Rider Area Bus Loading Area Gym Breezeway Breezeway Pre-K Playground K-2 nd Playground K-2 nd Playground Office Media Center Art Room Music Room Cafeteria Main/Front Doors Afterschool/ Intervention/Special Ed. Classrooms Kindergarten Classrooms Kindergarten Classrooms Pre-K Classrooms Counselor's Office 1 st Grade Classrooms 2 nd Grade Classrooms 1 st Grade Classrooms 2 nd Grade Classrooms Doors leading outside =
- 9. Host Primary Schools Media Center Layout Conference Room Reference Shelves Walk-in Storage Magazine Shelves Storage/Lamination Room Librarians Office Circulation Desk Book Return Book Shelf (chapter books arranged by series- ie: Junie B. Jones, Nancy Drew) Media Center Entrance Books on Tape Storage Tables Tables Tables Tables Rug Rug Rocking Chair Activeboard Student Computers Outside Exit E-book storage Classroom sets of books Book Shelves- Arranged by Authors Last Name Big Book Storage Showcase Book Display
- 10. II. LCPS Media Center Images * The media center is located across from the front office. It is located on the left-hand side as one enters the front door of the school.
- 11. II. LCPS Media Images * Individuals enter the media center from this door. * One can also see the storage area for the books on tape.
- 12. II. LCPS Media Images * This is the emergency door that leads to the outside of the school building. * One can also see the librarian's office.
- 13. II. LCPS Media Images *There is plenty of whole group student seating, especially near the activboard. * Some of the tables, however, seem to block the aisles of the book stacks.
- 14. II. LCPS Media Images *While there is small group seating, it seems to also block the aisles of the stacks of books.
- 15. II. LCPS Media Images *There are not obstacles around the emergency exit. There is enough room for wheelchairs and adaptive devices to fit through the exit.
- 16. II. LCPS Media Images *This is the librarians office as well as the lamination/ storage room. This storage room is extremely small! Notice: We were unpacking new e-books!
- 17. II. LCPS Media Images *This is the circulation desk as well as another view of the lamination/ storage room.
- 18. II. LCPS Media Images *This is the circulation desk that is usually occupied by either the media specialist or the media clerk/ parapro.
- 19. II. LCPS Media Images *This is the reference section that is located near the front of the library. It is a decent size for such a young age group.
- 20. II. LCPS Media Images *This is the books on tape storage. *These are stacks for small chapter books. *This is the conference room.
- 21. II. LCPS Media Images *This is the activboard. *This is the conference room. *These are the student computers.
- 22. II. LCPS Media Images *This is the book return. *This is the big book storage. *This is the magazine storage.
- 23. III. Teacher & Student Survey * To gather information about students opinions of the current media center, the media specialist as well as the graduate student asked one student from every kindergarten, 1 st grade, and 2 nd grade class to complete a survey. A total of 29 students were interviewed. * To gather information about the teachers opinions of the current media center, a link to an online survey composed by the graduate student using PollDaddy.com was sent to the teachers via email. A total of 30 teachers responded to the survey. (Pre-kindergarten teachers were also allowed to participate in this survey seeing as they do use the media center to obtain resources for their classrooms.) *The teacher survey can be located at: http://surveys.polldaddy.com/s/C698BE454CAC408F/
- 24. III. Student Survey Questions 1. What do you like best about the media center? a. the books b. the activboard c. the media teachers 2. If you were able to, would you come to the media center more? a. Yes b. No c. Maybe 3. Would you like to use a computer lab in the media center? a. Yes b. No c. Maybe
- 25. III. Student Survey Questions 4. What is the best thing about the media center? _____________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________ 5. What does the media center need? _____________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________
- 26. III. Results of Student Survey 1. What do you like best about the media center? a. the books- 10 students b. the activboard- 14 students c. the media teachers- 5 students 2. If you were able to, would you come to the media center more? a. Yes- 21 students b. No- 2 students c. Maybe- 6 students 3. Would you like to use a computer lab in the media center? a. Yes- 24 students b. No- 3 students c. Maybe- 2 students
- 27. III. Results of Student Survey 4. What is the best thing about the media center? Common answers include: * the activboard *checking out new books *having story time *watching movies (ebooks) on the activboard *playing with the stuffed animals (actually they are display themes) *looking at the different types of books on the shelves *the book fair